Wow look... View Text Message Backup in Outlook!?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It's just they are incompetent. Probably none of their employees needs this function so they think no one in the world needs it.

Still bitter about not getting special access to the SD card in 8.0 I see?
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Corey 64

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck using the "Categories" method? I see my texts from some people, but not from others, and it seems that there isn't any rhyme or reason to who’s shown and who’s not. Does anyone have any ideas as to why texts from some contacts show up and other contacts don’t? If the “Categories” method actually worked as advertised it would be better than nothing, but as far as I can figure it out, it’s pretty useless…

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck using the "Categories" method? I see my texts from some people, but not from others, and it seems that there isn't any rhyme or reason to who’s shown and who’s not. Does anyone have any ideas as to why texts from some contacts show up and other contacts don’t? If the “Categories” method actually worked as advertised it would be better than nothing, but as far as I can figure it out, it’s pretty useless…

Where do you save your contacts?
It only showed me a small selection, but I quickly realized all my contacts were Gmail contacts, not Outlook contacts, so I had to sync the two. Once it added all the people saved in Gmail, it gave me all my SMS.

Still asinine that we can't just save a log file from the phone.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I DISCOVERED WHY ONLY SOME CONTACTS SHOW UP WHILE SOME OTHERS DO NOT!!!!!!!!
The contact that show up is the one that has the country code in the phone number. You can simply add a country code to your contact in the people website and hit refresh to see the change.

OMG I'm so happy now. :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Summarize of what you need to do. Thanks SgtCornel.
1.Click on the "Settings" gear on the top right (near your name).
2.Select "Manage Categories" from the drop down menu.
3.You will have a lot to choose from, but put check boxes in "Contacts" and "Photos".
4.Now click on the Outlook.com on the top left, this should bring you back to your inbox.
5.Now you should notice the Categories in the bottom left hand side. Click on either Contacts or Photos
6.If you dont see anything, in the top right, click on "Arrange By" and make sure it is set to "Conversation".
7. If some contact does not show up, edit their phone number to have a country code at the beginning by going to https://people.live.com/. For example, change (xxx)xxx-xxxx to 1(xxx)xxx-xxxx.

Edit: Damn it, it only shows text send my the other person but not the text sent by me. This is only half useful.

Last edited:

jake_hot

May 21, 2014
Visit site
This really is a good find, however, it seems we are only a third of the way there.

So we can see received messages but not:
- sent messages
- deleted messages

For me deleted messages is the important one since I want to restore a message thread I deleted accidentally.

I've tried a few things to manipulate the URLs but no luck so far.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This really is a good find, however, it seems we are only a third of the way there.

So we can see received messages but not:
- sent messages
- deleted messages

For me deleted messages is the important one since I want to restore a message thread I deleted accidentally.

I've tried a few things to manipulate the URLs but no luck so far.

I believe deleted messages are gone forever.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
This is the same old WP SMS to text circle jerk that's been floating around since 8's inception. Less than two weeks ago I posted, asking y'all if you knew of any changes or workarounds:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/282298-anything-new-sms-export.html

I wrote:
I've spent hours trying to find out how I could export my SMS threads into my PC. I see the same advice and comments over and over, on both this forum and the internet generally, all going nowhere. Summarized, they are:

1. Some think backup to cloud is export. Not.
2. There are some programs/apps that work with Mobile, but no updates or info about compatibility with 8.
3. There are a whole lot of suggested Outlook.com URL's that work for some people some of the time, not at other times, or not at all.
4. Many suggestions use Outlook.com Messaging History...............which MS in their infinite stupidity removed as a service over a year ago.

This is one of the major "What was MS thinking?" flaws of WP. To say nothing of a PC Suite as so many rightfully bemoan the loss of. I've looked through the Nokia Store, can't spot anything helpful.

This thread is just #4 all over again, except now you need to have LookOut installed. Not everyone does.

Good thing my gf has an Android. A free app, she exports our thread for posterity. <grin> Yet one of many reasons I will probably not buy a WP again.

chaley80

May 31, 2014
Visit site
In the new version of outlook there is no "quick view" its in the left column but its labeled categories. The same rules apply with the whole gear click the gear. The directions are on the page before this. Just make sure to change the qvid to 3 AND you contacts should have a 1 in front of their phone number (###) ### - #### doesn't show up, you need the 1 in front and wammo

Messhugoth

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The 1 in front of the phone number allows the complete conversation (messages sent and received) ? I have qvid 5 but nothing happen when I put 3 ...

majchi

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
What happens to these messages when I :

1) delete them from phone
2) or transfer them to sd card, and not use it ?

i have asus padfone 2 now and it doesn't have a sd card slot due to internal memory of 32gb, and it would be grate if i can keep these messages in outlook, if there is no other way to do backup

please advise what to do because I would like to sell win phone that i have since i've been keeping it due to not being able to do full backup

also, any advice on how to access whatsApp messages ??!
tnx

smeddly

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering is anyone has found an update on this. I am able to see all of the recieved messages no problem. I really want to see the sent as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria