WP App studio RSS open in browser

croivo

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I've made simple RSS feed reader app in WP App studio. But what I want to is when user click on article's title it opens article in web browser (i mean it open source web page, not app). Any ideas?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
yep, u need to transfer the code to visual studio and parse the xml you get from the RSS. It doesn't do it in the website, I tried :)

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Also looking for some type of manual. I have made 9 apps specifically using the App Studio and for quick information/YouTube/RSS Feeds, it's great! On the other hand, the RSS feeds do not show completely even if I change the context from - Summary to Content to image to title, etc. I (and users of the app) must click the menu button, then choose "go to source" to view the full article which pulls up the website and defeats the purpose of the app almost. Not much of a developer, so not sure where to start with the source code. Any help?

For example: In this app,
When clicking the article in this screen shot:
68e22fdf-d4e1-459b-9589-dbb79856cee0.png

This is what it shows. And scrolling down only shows a little bit more - Not the whole article.
article.png

Thanks in advance.

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but I think that tutorial may be a bit more that what we were looking for. And perhaps a bit confusing for newbies. We already have an app with RSS feeds, it's just not showing the entire articles.

Mira Fox

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, but I think that tutorial may be a bit more that what we were looking for. And perhaps a bit confusing for newbies. We already have an app with RSS feeds, it's just not showing the entire articles.

Does it show the entire article when you select Content on a different feed? I ask because I know Paul Thurott's site doesn't show the whole article. >_>

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
No it doesn't show the whole article...

Someone had mentioned to me that I may have to use Yahoo Pipes to prefetch the articles first. Haven't had time to do much research, but will try that way too. Thanks

croivo

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
C'mon guys, please help us... We need something like this (this is not working):
Code:
string site = "{FeedUrl}";
(I was searching in VS Express and found that this 'variable' or whatever it is know web site address that we need to show.
Code:
myWebBrowserName.Navigate(new Uri(site, UriKind.Absolute));
(This now navigates our browser to that address when button is clicked).
Help?

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
That still won't shown the entire article in the app, only a shortcut from clicking the menu button and choosing "Go to source"

Paulo1300

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
i will teach you all a nice little secret where you can make this work without touching any code.
NOTE: First of all, if the RSS XML specifically says "read more" in the content, you are crap out of luck. That means the owner of the website set it up that way and you can only manipulate the data you receive.

If not: Go to feedburner and enter your website and create a new feedburner rss for it. if you are already using feedburner just go to your feedburner. Once created, go to the optimize tab. Deactivate all of the services. Then select service = "convert format burner". Select atom 1.0, and bingo it works like a charm.

Also if you want to want to make actual code changes - here is a how to Windows Phone App Studio – Part 2 – RSS Reader Fix | DREW5.net

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey Paulo,
Thanks for the response. I don't have time to check that information now, but will. Just wanted to say thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes