WP lacks a solid mid-end contender

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Given the news about the Lumia 730, I'd like to note for the record that I came up with the idea in 2013. Microsoft's at least a year out of touch with market dynamics.

If 2013-2014 was the period of compelling mid-range devices, I can almost guarantee that 2014-2015 will be the age of $299/$349 high-end spec'd devices.

In tandem with the Lumia 730 I'd release a Lumia 830 with S600, 2GB RAM and 1080p display for $349. Though unsustainable if given a mass push, Microsoft could manage if it produced a relatively limited number (top it at 250k a quarter) and offered it unlocked and off-contract through the Microsoft Store with a 1-year subscription to a Microsoft service.

And yes, this is a mulligan for Windows Phone fans, but it'd be a good way to drive some momentum towards Microsoft's retail, get a competitive device to the market and push some major subscriptions across the board (Office 365, XBL Gold, XB Music, Skype, OneDrive, etc).

Simply put, the Lumia 730 could be a mass-market device for carriers, the Lumia 830 from Microsoft to those already tied in the Microsoft eco-system. For users the Lumia 830 could also offer the benefit of Microsoft managing both software and firmware updates directly. Moreover, while a loss, the L830 would be Microsoft's chance to say, "although limited in availability, we sold 1 million Lumia 830s unlocked and off-contract all over the world this past year."

Also, if demand for such a device turns out to be significant, Microsoft can signal its OEM partners to offer similarly spec'd devices to compete with the Lumia 830. With the L830 only available in a strictly limited way, OEMs would have more latitude to push competing Windows Phones.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos