WP7 is not an option in Canada!?!

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I know WP7 is available in Canada (where I now live), but WP7 has so many features not available to Canada that it makes no sense. I was considering WP7, especially with the new features in mango, but not anymore after reading this: Windows Phone Features and Service Availability | Windows Phone 7

Some of the most important features are missing (like most of the voice-command functions, dictation). Not to mention I believe Canada still has no Zune access for music. Not to mention that unlike in the USA, the Bing search engine in Canada lacks the ability to do calculations (1+1) or conversions (1lb in oz) which I use on google all the time...

I really want MS and WP7 to succeed. WebOS is dead (my current platform), and WP7 is very innovative. However, it is too handi-capped in Canada to use. My brother has a WP7 phone in Canada here and is planning on going to an iPhone...I am now planning on doing the same. If I lived in the US, maybe WP7 would be worth it...but Canadians should think twice.

roadkyller

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Simple fix to activate a lot of the things you mention are missing in Canada. Just change your language/location settings to US. Local Scout, Voice Dictation, everything but Zune Pass works after this. If you set it to use location in Bing it will still provide you with local (Canadian) content for the most part.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I now have a Samsung Focus in Canada...and changing the language does enable some of the U.S. features...and they even work pretty well!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melvas66