WP8 is great! But what if I don't want a huge phone?

ramanuj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody else feel the same?

Here's what happen... I bought HTC HD7 in late 2010. It was my first smartphone purchase and I used it for a week or so. Feeling uncomfortable with the large screen size I returned it back and got HTC 7 Trophy. The HD7 felt too big to be a phone.

I want WP8 and I'm looking forward to get a new phone! But, it seems all the new devices will sport large screens and thus will be 65-70mm in width.. I'm aware that its just 10mm larger than my trophy phone but so was HD7!

What if someone doesn't want a large phone? I'm still not sure what features we're gonna get in 7.8 update...

WP fan, First post...

ramanuj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You are not alone. There have been several threads about this exact issue since all the WP8 devices were announced.
I figured many people may have raised concerns about large screen size and I want to know what they think..

what do you think?

I just logged in and posted it in forums.. will be looking for other posts....

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You may need to wait. WP market share is small, so OEMs can only afford to focus on the mass market form factors tight now.

Let's hope the next few months are good for WP. If so, we'll see other niche form factors like smaller size and physical keyboards.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree on this one. I got my Lumia 610 last week and it's only 3,7 inches but still I can't help but feel 3,5 would have been better for me, my hands aren't the biggest. So I'm a bit skeptical on anything above 4 inches, I do want a Lumia 820 when it comes out but 4,3"? maybe the HTC 8s would be better. Will see.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The 8S is supposedly the smaller Windows Phone (The quantum was pretty small but really thick and heavy).

It looks pretty slick.

ramanuj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
HTC 8S comes with lower hardware specs which, I fear, may limit my usage at some point.

in current known WP8 phones, large phones packs best features, which is good from market perspective and all, I'm sure... but at the same time its still a bit uncomfortable form factor, in my opinion.. but as winning guy says we may see more options later on....

I don't really feel the need of large screen size actually., I mean if I want to watch movie on a portable device or something, I'd go for a tablet instead.. I want a smartphone which fits into my pocket, and has all the features I wish for. and long battery life of course!

At the moment, it seems like I'll have to get used to large smartphones to enjoy WP8.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8S comes with lower hardware specs which, I fear, may limit my usage at some point.

in current known WP8 phones, large phones packs best features, which is good from market perspective and all, I'm sure... but at the same time its still a bit uncomfortable form factor, in my opinion.. but as winning guy says we may see more options later on....

I don't really feel the need of large screen size actually., I mean if I want to watch movie on a portable device or something, I'd go for a tablet instead.. I want a smartphone which fits into my pocket, and has all the features I wish for. and long battery life of course!

At the moment, it seems like I'll have to get used to large smartphones to enjoy WP8.

I had the exact same way of thinking before I got the GS2. You would be surprised how easy these larger phones are to handle and pocket. Don't knock it until you try it.

These are all the phones I ever owned.

Brick Nokia

Some black and white metal Motorola

Blackberry pearl

Blackberry bold

Galaxy s2

IPhone 4s

Xperia S

HTC One X

Galaxy S3

And out of all of those, the gs3 and gs2 and One X were all easier to pocket in my jeans than all of them except Motorola and blackberries.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree absolutely.

I was incredibly disappointed to see they made the 920 even bigger and heavier than the 900. My 900 is just barely tolerable in terms of size and weight as it is. It's uncomfortable to carry in shorts already.

As it stands right now, my next phone will probably be an 820, but I really resent that I'm being limited in features, especially limited to a lame 800x480 resolution and no Gorilla Glass just because I don't want to carry around a stupidly huge Android style brick.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree! I want a high end phone with a 4" screen. I returned a Titan cause it was too large. The Lumia 900 was OK, but I'd have prefered the 800 excpet I wanted LTE. My GSII Skyrocket I have now (4.5" screen) is the absolute biggest I would ever go, and a smaller sceen could be a deciding factor for me between the 920 and the 8X. If the 8X is 80% as good as the Nokia, I'll go 8X for the smaller screen. If the 8S had a higher resolution, the built in amp, and a few other bells and whistles from the 8X, I'd go for it in a heart beat.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't care too much about specs so the 8s might be the one for me. Also, with a kinda low clocked S4 cpu coupled with a 1700 mAh battery plus the smaller screen the 8s will probably have pretty great batterylife. Yup! Might be the one.

ramanuj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Large phones are expensive as well.., Lumia 920 may cost around ?500 (650 Euro) when my HTC 7 Trophy was about ?280- ?300 if I recall correct. (Both amount is when you buy sim-free or pay as you go.)

They sure will be expensive, I mean big screen size, dual core, 8MP camera etc. will cost that much. But at one point, it goes higher than the smartphone budget generally people would have.

here, I assume everyone would agree that when you get a phone on contract, you eventually end up paying more than the phone price + your phone usage.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Large phones are expensive as well.., Lumia 920 may cost around ?500 (650 Euro) when my HTC 7 Trophy was about ?280- ?300 if I recall correct. (Both amount is when you buy sim-free or pay as you go.)

The Trophy was never a flagship device though, thats more comparible to the 820 or 8s, which will end up being a similar price.

Screen size does make a difference, but i can't imagine a bit of extra plastic/metal, and inch of screen, and a slightly bigger battery makes a huge difference.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
You have to wait. I believe that Nokia and HTC will take cues from Samsung and release a Mini version of their flagships, seeing that this segment of the market is big enough.

In fact, I see Samsung and HTC doing it soon as they don't need to worry about downsizing innovations like OIS and Wireless Charging in a smaller form factor while Nokia needs to do some engineering feat for this.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Just check out the HTC 8X/S phones when they hit the shelf. I found a screen size comparison somewhere and they take on a longer format instead of wider format which should make them more ideal for smaller hands.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb