XBOX One controller

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I would say that would be THE THING that would end my stint in console gaming. If controllers went away in favor of motion gaming, I'd be done.
As much as I like Kinect with its current and future potential, and as much as I want to see it integrated in unique and fun ways, I completely and wholeheartedly agree with you. Controllers should never go away.

Even if one day we can all strap on a body suit and VR helmet and be fully interactive with the game world while simply sitting on the couch... I'm still going to want that controller around (I'm not Barney Stinson, I don't always want to Suit Up) :wink:

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say that would be THE THING that would end my stint in console gaming. If controllers went away in favor of motion gaming, I'd be done.

I'm pretty sure the Kinect will not come close to replacing the controller for a lot of games. How do you replace the D-Pad with gestures? I don't know.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the Kinect will not come close to replacing the controller for a lot of games. How do you replace the D-Pad with gestures? I don't know.

It depends on the function of the D-Pad you are referring to. In Gears of War, they could have a voice command for the weapon you want (the D-Pad cycles weapons in those games). In fact, voice commands could replace MOST games' D-Pad functions (MLB games use the D-Pad for fielder alignment). Can you give an example of a game where you might think it to be difficult?

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
any game that you actually call out in, this is going to be an awful feature for games like Halo when people play competitively. Like me and my team on H4 barely ever stop calling out (so like a 9 minute slayer match just straight full of saying where the enemy team is by four people) The directional pad would be awful for this because the D-Pad is used for ordnance drop so you want to give a force direction call out, and you can't just randomly say "Sticky Detonator" or your team might want it, or you can't call out "They Have Overshield" because then you might drop your ordnance early when you don't want to. I think there needs to be a way to shut it off for anything but XBOX Command, or at least have option to shut it off while INSIDE multiplayer games for people who want to opt out.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the function of the D-Pad you are referring to. In Gears of War, they could have a voice command for the weapon you want (the D-Pad cycles weapons in those games). In fact, voice commands could replace MOST games' D-Pad functions (MLB games use the D-Pad for fielder alignment). Can you give an example of a game where you might think it to be difficult?

FPS or RPGs. How do you change the direction you move without a controller?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess the keyword here is the "DPad", in how many current gen console games do you actually move around with the dpad as opposed to the stick? It's not even rhetoric question as I dont own a current gen console, but if my experience with GameCube is of any relevance, I can't come up with any :D

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just don't see how you move a character around in an environment without the controller. Even if it were possible using Kinect body movement + voice, what if you have a broken leg or sore throat? I don't see controller-based gaming going away any time soon.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess the keyword here is the "DPad", in how many current gen console games do you actually move around with the dpad as opposed to the stick? It's not even rhetoric question as I dont own a current gen console, but if my experience with GameCube is of any relevance, I can't come up with any :D

Yeah the D-Pad has been shifted into a different purpose in any game where variation in your movement is needed like Asssassin Creed, but that doesn't mean they can just laze off with the D-PAD like they did on the X360 Controller, up to this day.. it simply sucks, it's no joy to use ever. I really hope the D-PAD on the new controller is as good as it should be.
The X360 Controller is just great but it's flaws are obvious so the X1 Controller can only be better, hopefully :)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, they have quite radically changed the DPad. I heard someone say something about Nintendo's patent expiring on the DPad, which is why they could "finally" do it properly without paying royalties.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, they have quite radically changed the DPad. I heard someone say something about Nintendo's patent expiring on the DPad, which is why they could "finally" do it properly without paying royalties.

I hope so, the X360 controller had 8-Way D-Pad, it's terrible and doesn't work, the X1 has a 4-Way D-Pad as far as i can see so it should also be a lot less glitchy and more direct.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I hope so, the X360 controller had 8-Way D-Pad, it's terrible and doesn't work, the X1 has a 4-Way D-Pad as far as i can see so it should also be a lot less glitchy and more direct.

The d-pad on the original xbox 360 controllers was terrible. They updated it with a 'pro' controller with the d-pad that you could change from 8-way to 4-way. That one is great and I've been using it for about a year or so now. So much better than my other 360 controllers..

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
any game that you actually call out in, this is going to be an awful feature for games like Halo when people play competitively. Like me and my team on H4 barely ever stop calling out (so like a 9 minute slayer match just straight full of saying where the enemy team is by four people) The directional pad would be awful for this because the D-Pad is used for ordnance drop so you want to give a force direction call out, and you can't just randomly say "Sticky Detonator" or your team might want it, or you can't call out "They Have Overshield" because then you might drop your ordnance early when you don't want to. I think there needs to be a way to shut it off for anything but XBOX Command, or at least have option to shut it off while INSIDE multiplayer games for people who want to opt out.

I cant see voice commands for multiplayer FPS games where teamwork is a priority - They did try it out in Halo CE but it never went anywhere after that. If your playing as a team and communicating as a team the only thing you want to hear over the mic is where they are, how many and what loadouts they are rocking. Battlefield 3 is another example - I really would like to pass the info on that theres a guy with an rpg camping in the corridor and not suddenly run along and equip my rpg

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Something I've been wondering for a while (havnt had a current-gen console), how are the voice comms done on console games? Do they work with voice activation or push to talk or with what?

I'd figure the controller might have too few buttons for PTT, but if there was push to talk, you could easily eliminate the kinect equipping the RPG when you call out someone else has RPG, as the Kinect could stop taking input/command when you push PTT.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Something I've been wondering for a while (havnt had a current-gen console), how are the voice comms done on console games? Do they work with voice activation or push to talk or with what?

I'd figure the controller might have too few buttons for PTT, but if there was push to talk, you could easily eliminate the kinect equipping the RPG when you call out someone else has RPG, as the Kinect could stop taking input/command when you push PTT.

At present it doesn't work with multiplayer games purely for that reason. In skyrim you can navigate menus, change weapons activate spells and such but its single player. Halo CE had it working for reloads weapon changes etc but wasn't active on multiplayer - All you do is call out the command and the Kinect picks it up - it could work I suppose if you had something like hold A button for team talk - hold X button for Kinect commands however its easier to push A to reload as it is to push the button and call out to reload. In competitive games where split second decisions matter there's no substitute for a button press or just talking over the mic when you walk round a corner and into a 5 man team massacre.

Personally im looking forward to giving the new d-pad a workout on the next install of Marvel vs Capcom, analogue sticks just cant compete with the d-pad for pulling off moves in games like that and the 360 d-pad makes my thumb hurt after about 5 minutes.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
From watching the MS press coverage I have a feeling that Kinect voice commands will be a little smoother than they have been in the past. Watching the Project Spark stuff, the guy was talking pretty 'conversationally' with the game in order to do things. Coupled with how the new Kinect seems to be optimized to hear ONLY the voices of those in front of it, I don't think we have to worry about someone yelling 'XBOX, OFF' and turning everyones (and his/her) console off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)