XBOX One controller

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
[video=youtube;m4SYaTLCWL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m4SYaTLCWL0[/video]
Posting this here too.

Anyways, it seems that you can't have the controller plugged to a PC while playing on the X1, as the dude said that when you plug it in, it starts sending the data through the cable as opposed to wireless (probably so that if theres wireless interference, you can still play reliably). Wifi direct wasnt mentioned, but it's indeed sad if they use some propretiary system :/

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
An Insider's Look at the Xbox One Controller - YouTube
Posting this here too.

Anyways, it seems that you can't have the controller plugged to a PC while playing on the X1, as the dude said that when you plug it in, it starts sending the data through the cable as opposed to wireless (probably so that if theres wireless interference, you can still play reliably). Wifi direct wasnt mentioned, but it's indeed sad if they use some propretiary system :/

While it will be sad if true, I think the reason everyone hated the proprietary system was because the proprietary wireless needed an extra dongle for a PC, and the proprietary charging cable to connect it to a PC was also extra.

Now, even with a proprietary wireless connection, there is a way to plug it into your computer and use it right out of the box without any additional cost. all you need is a micro USB cable, which might be included. If it's not, everyone on these forums should have one from their phones. :)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
While it will be sad if true, I think the reason everyone hated the proprietary system was because the proprietary wireless needed an extra dongle for a PC, and the proprietary charging cable to connect it to a PC was also extra.

Now, even with a proprietary wireless connection, there is a way to plug it into your computer and use it right out of the box without any additional cost. all you need is a micro USB cable, which might be included. If it's not, everyone on these forums should have one from their phones. :)

Not the case. They've already said that the controller won't gain PC support until 2014, meaning there is SOMETHING that needs to be installed on the PC to accept the controller's input.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm little late in watching that video.

See-through aluminium - "Awesomeness redefined"

Good to see some proper terms used, didn't hear "innovative" once.

Handing controllers to different people and Kinect instantly changing profiles is going to be so good. No more having to go into options and change button layouts for different people.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on one and putting in some playing time. Interested to see how it feels without the battery block and the more squared off feel of the inside arms.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Still doesn't change what I said. Drivers do not affect cost. No one is going to care if they need to install a driver.

You said, "there is a way to plug it into your computer and use it right out of the box," and while you're right about not needing to spend additional money, it WON'T work with your PC out of the box, unless you don't open the box until 2014 and have already installed the drivers.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmm little late in watching that video.

See-through aluminium - "Awesomeness redefined"

Good to see some proper terms used, didn't hear "innovative" once.

Handing controllers to different people and Kinect instantly changing profiles is going to be so good. No more having to go into options and change button layouts for different people.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on one and putting in some playing time. Interested to see how it feels without the battery block and the more squared off feel of the inside arms.

For a while now, I've thought the idea of having a profile on a controller would be awesome. Make a controller truly yours that way, so you never have to deal with signing in and out. I know the Kinect's something of a bridge to that, but as someone who won't scan himself into the console with the Kinect (or even have the thing plugged in 95% of the time), I think having a controller remember its owner would be cool.

Matt Fara

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
For a while now, I've thought the idea of having a profile on a controller would be awesome. Make a controller truly yours that way, so you never have to deal with signing in and out. I know the Kinect's something of a bridge to that, but as someone who won't scan himself into the console with the Kinect (or even have the thing plugged in 95% of the time), I think having a controller remember its owner would be cool.

LOL, tinfoil ftw

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

So you basically want some on-board memory?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I have this Belkin n52te speedpad thing for PC gaming and it has a small on-board memory capable of holding one set of keymappings. The "te" stands for tournament edition, so it's made with tournaments etc in mind where you might just take your own mouse etc and not the whole PC.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Here is somewhat of a review of the One's controller on IGN... Although the trigger rumbling was not working... http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/15/xbox-one-controller-hands-on-with-call-of-duty-ghosts

The Dreamcast had that... Kind of, the memory card that stored your game saves, plugged into the controller.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

that's not true, if the computer does not recognize it will not necessarily charge it.

but any USB charger you have laying around the house will so I'm not sure why only having 3 USB ports is an issue. Just open up your junk drawer and grab one of the dozens of USB chargers that you've collected from every other USB device you own.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
that's not true, if the computer does not recognize it will not necessarily charge it.

but any USB charger you have laying around the house will so I'm not sure why only having 3 USB ports is an issue. Just open up your junk drawer and grab one of the dozens of USB chargers that you've collected from every other USB device you own.

But what will the controller interpret it as? What if it just goes "oh, USB connection, ima be sending dem datas over on the cable" that really goes nowhere except the outlet?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
But what will the controller interpret it as? What if it just goes "oh, USB connection, ima be sending dem datas over on the cable" that really goes nowhere except the outlet?

Could you then use it to controll your AC, lights, etc..? ;)

JK

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
that's not how the USB standard works

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Just to bump this thread a bit:

1) Default controller only comes wireless. To use it in a wired fashion, you will need the play&charge-kit. Uncertain if data will still continue to move wirelessly and the wire is just used for recharging. However this would seem to imply data moves with the wire if plugged:
Another convenient improvement is that the controller is both wireless and a wired? simply plug it into your console with a micro USB cable and the connection automatically switches to preserve battery life.

2) Uses AA-size batteries by default

3) Has earned every single piece of hype, 360 controller is already amazing, this one has still been improved upon and is near perfection.

4) Nifty stuff like automatic low power state. Kinect detects if you set the controller on a table while watching a movie for example, putting it into a lower power state and as soon as you pick up the controller again it goes back to normal mode again and ready for action.

I gotta go find my charger for rechargeable batteries, I've lost the batteries though but the charger is still somewhere. I don't see myself getting the play&charge kit immediately (I'll get 2 controllers with the console too), so I'll just hassle with rechargeable ones..

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The first thing woudl bother me. I like the idea of using my smartphone charger plugged into my wall or PC to charge my controller, because I don't know that the cable will be long enough to get from my console to my controller. If you don't HAVE rechargeable batteries anywhere (read: they got lost), I'd spend the money on the Play & Charge over new batteries myself.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't get a chance to read every comment in the thread, but since the Xbox has WiFi direct, the system can't connect to the controller if there is no WiFi? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb