XBOX ONE - Sell me on it

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading all the news on this and the latest I saw come out about not supporting media extender is now the deal breaker for me. Please, any of you with more knowledge on this subject help me justify spending $500 on this for my scenario.

I cut the cord in May and haven't looked back. I am using my Xbox as the main media device to stream Netflix, hulu, Xbox Video (Rental Movies and certain TV shows like Falling Skies/Walking Dead). I also have my Den PC extended to the Xbox for Media Center. I have OTA antenna setup with a SiliconDust HD Homerun Dual tuner. I get my locals this way (and DVR'd).

So besides new games, why would I invest in this? I haven't seen any (other) benefit unless you have a cable/satellite box. My wife is a hard sell and need the help. :) LOL.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Short answer to your subject is NO! We are not here to jump at your command. You have access to the same information as we do.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Because using Kinect means that you don't have to search for the remote.

That means more cuddle time with the wife on the couch as you watch movies and TV.

😇

RandomNinjaAtk

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading all the news on this and the latest I saw come out about not supporting media extender is now the deal breaker for me. Please, any of you with more knowledge on this subject help me justify spending $500 on this for my scenario.

I cut the cord in May and haven't looked back. I am using my Xbox as the main media device to stream Netflix, hulu, Xbox Video (Rental Movies and certain TV shows like Falling Skies/Walking Dead). I also have my Den PC extended to the Xbox for Media Center. I have OTA antenna setup with a SiliconDust HD Homerun Dual tuner. I get my locals this way (and DVR'd).

So besides new games, why would I invest in this? I haven't seen any (other) benefit unless you have a cable/satellite box. My wife is a hard sell and need the help. :) LOL.

Get it because you can still plugin any device, including the 360 to the HDMI-IN on the Xbox One and still access your TV via Xbox Media Center Extender on your current 360. Obviously this is not ideal, but you still have the all in one box functionality that you were looking for....

So YES, buy it anyways! I'm actually thinking of getting a HDMI switch to connect my Xbox 360 (for backwards compatibility), cable box, and possibly a PC directly into my Xbox One, so I can basically have access to any 2 devices at once! Play Starcraft 2 on the big screen while chatting on Xbox Live, possibilities are endless.....

Just a thought...

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
If cutting the cord and still getting your content is the worry ....then don't worry .

Plex will certainly release their Windows 8 application for the Xbox One. Plex is the centerpiece of my home theater. It has plugins that will get you your digital content (and more if you know where to look). It also gives you full access to your local media if you run the server on the host PC.

If you get your friends on board , you guy can form your own private "Netflix". Me and my co workers all setup and share our plex servers with each other ...giving thousands of films on demand that we happen to acquire.

We are in the future man. In order to enjoy it, you're going to need some good hardware. That said - this scenario isn't something that you couldn't accomplish with just your PC or a roku box. So you do need to have some value in the gaming and user experience for me to really recommend you getting one.

As lame as it may seem, I am a huge home theatre buff and can't wait for the Kinect commands..and I'm being totally serious when I say that. A lot of what people make fun of..i am legitimately excited for.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok. When it comes to game systems in kinda clueless. We have toyed with getting Wii or Xbox for a few years. Seems like Wii has fizzled so now x box is in the lead. Why should I (or should I not) buy a x box 360 vs. Wait for ONE to cone out and save some cash. I have 2 HDTV's with multiple HDMI ports, WiFi connectivity and I tenets apps on board for bextflix. Pandora, Iheart Radio,Amazon video etc. I'm finding I like the Xbox music (using it through my Windows Phone 8 currently). Will I be able to also use it with one the other it both x box consoles? Can't seem to find a straight answer on that. Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If cutting the cord and still getting your content is the worry ....then don't worry .

Plex will certainly release their Windows 8 application for the Xbox One. Plex is the centerpiece of my home theater. It has plugins that will get you your digital content (and more if you know where to look). It also gives you full access to your local media if you run the server on the host PC.

If you get your friends on board , you guy can form your own private "Netflix". Me and my co workers all setup and share our plex servers with each other ...giving thousands of films on demand that we happen to acquire.

We are in the future man. In order to enjoy it, you're going to need some good hardware. That said - this scenario isn't something that you couldn't accomplish with just your PC or a roku box. So you do need to have some value in the gaming and user experience for me to really recommend you getting one.

As lame as it may seem, I am a huge home theatre buff and can't wait for the Kinect commands..and I'm being totally serious when I say that. A lot of what people make fun of..i am legitimately excited for.

WOW. THX for that. I never heard of PLEX before and Im checking it out. I do have a Roku 2 on another TV (master B-room). My "server" PC is in the Den that runs the WMC and HDhomerun guide. I never thought about hooking up the old to the new. That would be weird. If SiliconDust would release an XBOX ONE app, or Win 8 app, that would work too. I do have an older PC connected to the TV that my current xbox is connected to. This is more to just take advantage of certain websites and win 8 apps.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Short answer to your subject is NO! We are not here to jump at your command. You have access to the same information as we do.

You are right. I do have the same access, but Im asking for other user opinions to help me further justify a purchase. I have things setup now a certain way and to make a change and lose functionality perplexes me. (Better games not a problem, but losing live OTA video is)

As you can see below there were some great ideas that I was not aware of and some options that may help not just me but also others. It's a discussion board. I just wanted to start a discussion.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I would say, the good things about xbox one

a better Microsoft ecosystem, you know, now apps will be available in One, and they are probably going to be like win8 ones since they said like people should start by learning to build win8 apps to know how to build for xbox one. so more access to you, for example, VLC when finally its ported to win8, well maybe it will get into xbox one, and then people can play mkv and formats Microsoft probably wont directly support. and I expect to see apps in xbox one just like you see plugins in xbmc or plex, just to make the experience better.

another nice thing about xbox one its Kinect 2, a lot of games will use it. project spark being free, will use it for example, and you can record your movements and sound and stuff like that. they know everyone will have it, so they are making nice things with it, if people want it. but it can be used for a lot of things, since it can detect a lot of things like your heartbeats and who is holding the controller and your expressions and such.
also Kinect would be better through the system because is built to take advantage of the UI and the OS, not like 360 that was limited in a lot of things.

smartglass apps will be useful this time, hopefully we finally see the coop gameplay they showed once with a tablet and xbox. if its true the delay is now decent, well... that means it can be used for more things, that's what all we wish at least!

cloud, maybe its not something that many games will use, but something like what forza is going to do to make it more realism when you compete against IA, its a nice thing. so cloud can make the console more interesting because you aren't going to be limited anymore, you will be only limited for what a developer can do with it.

just look at achievements, for the way Microsoft its building it with cloud and all that, achievements are supposed to be able to be updated by developers, so they can add new challenges for you without you having to get a new game.
so cloud can make the console evolve and grow, without updates from Xbox team.

Skype integration would be a plus! and well... all the multitasking features, like you can be matchmaking a game while playing other. and in the video leak that was posted sometime ago, you could go to start while the game was playing so you didn't have to see the cutscenes and do other things while waiting. also it was instant how the game started.

maybe these don't sound like few things, and it doesn't mean you should buy xbox one right away having 360, but more and more features would come, especially when xbox team has to make nice updates yearly. so of course it will be a better integrated ecosystem among Microsoft products than 360 was.

of course we shall wait and see what else Microsoft brings with Xbox One, but I think its a nice upgrade over 360 in a lot of things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo