Xbox Video Vs iTunes.. or other

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
So I am having trouble right now deciding which video service I should get my movies from. I am a long time torrent downloader but want to go legit. I have a HTPC with windows 8 hooked up. I was about to go all in on xbox video but I find the app with windows 8 pretty bad. For instance there is no poster view so your collection looks terrible (I am used to plex and xbmc), I bought a movie and have and want to download it to the HD cause I don't like streaming unlessI am watching it on Surface, and it took 6 hours to get to 50% and I had to exit the app and went back in and of course it is at 0 so I have to start over.

Same goes for iTunes though cause they don't have a nice app unless I get an apple tv. I really don't want to give apple my business cause I am stuck with them, but there selection is better and I can get cheap iTunes gift cards the odd time.

I just wanted to get some feedback to see what other people are doing for there movie collections. I should mention to I live in Canada, which to me is the worst for finding a service, I would probably go with vudu or amazon if I was in US.

Rndomuser

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I prefer to get movies on BluRay disks because they offer best visual/audio quality (yes, I do notice it on my properly calibrated HDTV and audio system). Occasionally (mostly for TV series) I do buy them through iTunes - their selection is awesome, it's extremely convenient and I never had issues with them playing on my MacBook or the latest model of AppleTV or my iPad... But you don't get many extras (if any at all) with such digital purchases, especially the "collectible" items (if you're into such things) and the visual quality is worse (at least for movies) due to lower bitrates (although it doesn't matter if you're watching on mobile devices or on a crappy TV). Not sure about XBox Video - never tried it and probably never will...

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I try to use a bit of everything and it depends on the situation, what's available where, and what has the best bang for your buck. For the most part, I use Netflix, Hulu Plus, Redbox, and Xbox Video on Xbox Live. Tried Vudu and Amazon. Didn't care for their interfaces. I have purchased television series on iTunes. Only because I wanted them instantly. I have reserved buying physical disk for TV series I feel are worthy, and huge blockbuster movies and franchises (LOTR, Harry Potter, Marvel Phase One and Disney/Pixar movies)

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I think Zune can access the windows 8 video store still. The selection is amazing; tv shows and even anime still airing in Japan are available shortly after airing.

Please don't give apple any money.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I try to use a bit of everything and it depends on the situation, what's available where, and what has the best bang for your buck. For the most part, I use Netflix, Hulu Plus, Redbox, and Xbox Video on Xbox Live. Tried Vudu and Amazon. Didn't care for their interfaces. I have purchased television series on iTunes. Only because I wanted them instantly. I have reserved buying physical disk for TV series I feel are worthy, and huge blockbuster movies and franchises (LOTR, Harry Potter, Marvel Phase One and Disney/Pixar movies)

Sounds like pretty much what I do too. Stream all the stuff that isn't A+ quality. The A+ quality stuff ill buy, then make a full rip back up, a copy for my phone and tablet, then a copy for my media centers around the house so I can access it everywhere. Sounds tedious I know, but I limit myself to just the really good stuff nowadays so its less work than it sounds like.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a Home Theater PC (HTPC) too and I installed a Ceton InfiniTV PCIe card with a CableCARD to replace all my Comcast HD Cable Boxes. I pick the movies I want to record from the TV Guide on MS Media Center, from anything available on Cable TV in the following two weeks. It isn't Blu-Ray quality, but it's excellent quality HD on all my plasma TVs.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a Home Theater PC (HTPC) too and I installed a Ceton InfiniTV PCIe card with a CableCARD to replace all my Comcast HD Cable Boxes. I pick the movies I want to record from the TV Guide on MS Media Center, from anything available on Cable TV in the following two weeks. It isn't Blu-Ray quality, but it's excellent quality HD on all my plasma TVs.

Dang nice system isn't it? I so wish Microsoft didn't abandon it... they could have ruled the living room with it.

Garsha Daley

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
It depends like with xbox video u can only rent movies but it's cheaper than iTunes.with iTunes U can purchase and rent movies (u only get the movies for a day if u rent them on iTunes for two days with xbox video) But if you're into anime and u want to get the episodes right after they air in japan u should go with xbox video. As for tv shows they're both the same. Also when it comes to purchasing u can use credit card for both or buy iTunes cards or xbox live currency

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999