Windows Mobile 6.5 on TP2

mxcrowe

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site

mxcrowe

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Tim.
I hadn't noticed that the first link was on the European part of the HTC site. When looking at the USA part of the HTC site for the Touch Pro 2, it says "Can I upgrade my device to Windows Mobile 6.5 when it is released?
More information will be provided on whether or not the device can be upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.5 on the device support page after Windows Mobile 6.5 has been released."
...which is not very helpful. I guess there is no HTC WM6.5 release of the ROM?
On the other hand, the Verizon store told me that 6.5 was not supported on the TP2, and yet, there is that link!
What's the real story with WM6.5 on the TP2? Are many people running it with success?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The Verizon 6.5 ROM version has been out for a while now I would think that it would be included in any new phones sold. Sounds like you were talking to a store rep that does not know much about the TP2.

waldo15

Apr 21, 2006
Visit site
Hey man, I can tell you the phone comes with 6.1. I ordered one during the weekend, arrived yesterday and well, is 6.1 only.

Once I get used to the phone I'll upgrade it to 6.5.

mxcrowe

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I thought - still shipping with 6.1. A little bit amazed at Verizon, but whatever...too big to get out of their own way, I'm afraid.
Maybe the better question is: do I stick with the 6.5 ROM from Verizon or use one of the custom ROMs out there? I noticed the MightyROM, which looks pretty nice. Any ideas? Perhaps this should be a different thread for this question...

zigfire

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
the Verizon WM 6.5 leaves a lot to be desired. I've been using it for a while now and your better off sticking with 6.1. Things are locked and the Data connection is constatly turning itself on and wasting the battery. with limited use it only lasts 8 hours and then it needs a charge.

mixman

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
I think this thread is fine for your question, as I haven't seen it posted anywhere elese.

I tried a VZW new TP2 about 3 weeks ago and it shipped with 6.1 (ever after I called tech support and the told me it would have 6.5 on it). I did the ROM upgrade from HTC's site and fell in love with the device. However, I too would like to try some other ROMS (Mighty as well as Mal's). But neither will install on this device. I've downloaded the files to 3 different workstations and they always fail to install. VZW's ROM upgrade installs fine. I've flashed devices a number of times over the years with success. But the VZW TP2 I have now just won't deal with anything other than the "official" VZW 6.5 upgrade. I'd like to try the others, but I do get a good performance out of what I have now. I'm an Exchange user with another POP account set for 5 minutes. I get home after 12 hour days and have about 40% left on the battery. That beats the heck out of my now (thankfully) retired Samsung Saga.

mxcrowe

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
My phone arrived with 6.1, as expected. Hardly even had chance to play with it before I flashed up to the standard MightyROM. I am so happy with this phone and this ROM - did not expect to be so pleased.
Mixman, did you unlock the SPL on your phone first? The stock ROMs are signed and so do not need to have the SPL manually unlocked, but to use the custom ROMs, you must use H-SPL Unlocker first.

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
The Verizon 6.5 ROM version has been out for a while now I would think that it would be included in any new phones sold. Sounds like you were talking to a store rep that does not know much about the TP2.

I'm not sure about elsewhere, but Baltimore area VZW stores were pushing the Droid as being better than the TP2, no TP2s displayed for most of February. I have a friend who's planning on upgrading & I'm her local phone geek. :p So, I went along. I use Androkkid as my UI on my WM 6.5 Tilt2, somewhat Android-like. Comparing the Droid to my stock Tilt2, I wasn't that impressed. And I could do more with my Cingular 8525 (my 1st WM phone) without reading the manual than I could with the Droid. And, since we're looking at the phone versions of Windows & linux, I'd assume that my having gone to root status in both on the PC would give me a little edge in using both phone versions, but that didn't seem to help much with using the Droid. Anyway, all the store reps were pushing the Droid like it was the next best thing since sliced bread. :rolleyes: And no TP2s in sight.

mxcrowe

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar experience at Verizon here in CA. No TP2s in stock - only a dummy model to look at (not at all impressive that way). They were talking up the Moto Droid like crazy. Well, my buddy has the Moto and my wife has the HTC Eris, so I had done plenty of playing around with Android. Not over the moon about either, mainly due to specific shortfalls, like difficulties syncing with Outlook and no voice command over BT headset.
I had to buy the TP2 online, but it was well worth the hassle and the wait. This is simply the best phone I have ever owned.

mixman

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
I'm not sure about elsewhere, but Baltimore area VZW stores were pushing the Droid as being better than the TP2, no TP2s displayed for most of February.

That's what I found too. Although I stopped at the store in Glen Burnie and the reps there were actually not very happy with VZW restricting the TP2 to online sales only. I ended up ordering one to I could see what it was like. I returned in within 3 weeks and bought one off ebay for $300 that didn't have a scratch on it. I don't see how they expect to sell a phone people can't get their hands on to try. Or in my case, it wasn't very cost effective for them to have to take a perfectly good device and lower it to refurb status. I wasn't about to extend my contract at this point.

mxcrowe

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I just got my phone delivered today and it was loaded with WinMo 6.5. I ordered it on Tuesday, 3/2.

Dave
Very strange...where are you located? Did they have it in the store, or did you buy online?
Can you go to Settings->System->Device Information->Software Information and tell us what ROM version is listed there?

jmurra

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Ordered my TP2 on line Friday, 3/5, so I guess we will see if that ships with 6.5 like with hepi. Noticed on the FedEx tracking that it made it to the Memphis airport in an hour or so after picked up, I am guessing Verizon has their warehouse close by.

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I had a similar experience at Verizon here in CA. No TP2s in stock - only a dummy model to look at (not at all impressive that way). They were talking up the Moto Droid like crazy.

At least you got a dummy phone to hold. They don't even do that, here. :confused:

hepi

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Very strange...where are you located? Did they have it in the store, or did you buy online?
Can you go to Settings->System->Device Information->Software Information and tell us what ROM version is listed there?

I ordered it online. I live in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania (Kane, Pa) and the local Verizon Store is like 50 miles away...and they did not have it in the store anyway. I think that the phone is awesome. It's snappy, easy to use, and I even get great 3G coverage here in the sticks.

ROM Version is: 3.04.605.3
ROM Date is: 11/17/09

Under Settings->About it shows
Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional
CE OS 5.2.21874 (Build 21874.5.0.83)

The box had a sticker on the front saying it was updated to Windows Mobile 6.5.

Dave

mxcrowe

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
VZW certainly never gave me an option for 6.5 vs. 6.1. Hardly matters since I flashed past both their stock ROMs anyway, but just seems like they are not very consistent. I got different stories from every rep I talked to, and different stories from buyers, too. I just left AT&T for coverage reasons, but I have to say, AT&T has their customer service act together way better than VZW.

jmurra

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
my PT2 came in also with 6.5 & 3.04.605.3 ROM

And this from Verizon.

Now if I could adjust the screen sensitivity - it either won't move with my finger sweep or opens up the program under my finger, no middle ground.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)