Would you get one of htc's rumoured devices. Or wait for Nokia?

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Whichever one has a top end phone without a silly AMOLED display, I'll take it. I have not had ONE AMOLED display without some burn in after a year or so of use, and I baby my screens, almost obsessively.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely take an HTC phone. Have been with Nokia, but I've fallen in love with HTC immediatelly after I received the Trophy. So no, I wouldn't take a Nokia or Sammy device. Waiting for Zenith.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't mind an HTC device but Nokia has the promise of Pureview on their next phones and I can't turn that down.

I didn't have many problems with the HD7 and i thought it was a solid phone, and the only real problem i had was that I couldn't get MMS to work even with the connection setup tool.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
My last three personal devices have been HTC with two of them being Windows Phones. I think I've given them a fair shake and I'm moving to Nokia as long as they have a 4.5" screen or more. Smaller and I'll be back at HTCs door I guess. Really like Nokias support of the platform and updates, updates are amazing!

HTCs have been okay, but not standouts for me. Not really memorable devices, just ok. Only thing I like really is the screens, love me some giat screen goodness lol.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had a number of HTC phones and they have gone down quality wise and since I've had a chance to use the Lumia 900 I've realised just how bad the Titan is. HTC haven't patched bugs on it and they definately seem more interested in Android (paint flaking on the One X get sorted ASAP) which is why I'm looking forward to the Pureview Nokias.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Nokia absolutely because they have shown to be more dedicated to Windows Phone than anyone by far and I just like their phones better.

I'd be amazed if my next phone was not a Nokia.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I used to always have Nokia until I moved to HTC Desire on Android, then Titan on WP7...
I like both but I am enticed by the additional software / Nokias relationship with MS, but if HTC release WP8 hardware 1st I am likely to go for that...
I don't want to wait another 6 months for a Nokia WP8

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Pureview (drool) + Nokia's active app development, plus my Focus S experience in which Samsung appears to be 99.9% on the Android train = most likely Nokia would be next WPx. But won't declare anything until I see what comes in the fall from all the vendors.

Still have my eye on Apple and what the next iPhone brings too. Did not know the importance of having hardware maker that has the strength to deal with the carriers, though WP8 OTA updates may fix this.

Can't wait to see all the shiny coming in the fall! :cool:

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
This WP8 announcement has all but killed WP7 for Nokia (there will still be some sales but unless you're desperate why wouldn't wait for WP8 - it will have low, middle and high end devices especially if you're waiting for Verizon - the Trophy is still $179.99 on contract). I would be seriously worried about Nokia as a company given how fast the losses are piling up and there is no guarantee that MS will buy Nokia if they go down the tubes.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
This WP8 announcement has all but killed WP7 for Nokia (there will still be some sales but unless you're desperate why wouldn't wait for WP8 - it will have low, middle and high end devices especially if you're waiting for Verizon - the Trophy is still $179.99 on contract). I would be seriously worried about Nokia as a company given how fast the losses are piling up and there is no guarantee that MS will buy Nokia if they go down the tubes.

What are you doin in my thread?. If you want to coment somethin negative. Go somewhere else not in this conversation of wp owners

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I really think that the htc zenith is a good device with quad-core.(supports 64 cores). But would rather wait for a Sammy device or a Nokia of course. So what do you think of the htc devices or should you rather get a Nokia or Sammy phone?
I have owned a few HTC devices. The hardware was usually good, but the drivers they paired with it were consistently terrible. While hardware specs tell us what a device can achieve, how close a device comes to realizing that potential is dependent on software (unfortunately for consumers, this isn't something easily expressed on a spec sheet).

Realizing that potential is something HTC (and most other OEM's) couldn't care less about. Their attitude tends to be: "if the drivers don't crash then they are good enough". I have even owned a HTC device without hardware accelerated 3D graphics support, even though the SoC had a GPU! The reason was that HTC cheaped out and decided not to license the GPU drivers. As a result, my navigation software just barely stuttered along instead of being buttery smooth.

I don't know why HTC has fallen so far behind Samsung. I'm sure it is not due to the complaints I have concerning low level OS software. But I will never again buy a HTC handset. Good riddance.

HTC's main problem is that they are a hardware company that is simply incompetent when it comes to software. All the while software is continually becoming an ever more important part of the smartphone development process. Nokia had the same problem. In HTC's position I would start a slow transition to WP8, effectively outsourcing HTC's OS related software development to Microsoft which isn't possible to the same extent when developing Android devices (Google offers source code which lacks all of the lower, hardware facing software layers which OEM's must develop themselves).

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Out of all the folks talking about Pureview, have any of you actually used a Pureview camera? I mean, on paper and what not it seems great, but don't judge it until you get to the store and snap a few low light pics yourself.

I like both Nokia and HTC. If Nokia makes a 4.7 inch screen then I'd probably go Nokia. If their camera is legit as well, I'd go Nokia. As of now, my Titan 2 makes me happy because it's camera is better than the L900 I used to own and the screen is bigger, even with it almost being the same size as the L900 screen. And I don't want to hear about the looks because 1.) I'd probably put a case or skin on them anyways and 2.) I look at pretty phones like pretty girls. Outside she looks great, inside she's COULD have the I.Q. of a rock or the attitude of a Honey Badger!

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Given the choice, I'd probably go with a Nokia device as well. As others have stated, Nokia actually provides software updates in a timely manner and offers additional exclusive apps, despite the fact that Nokia Maps will be the new standard app on all WP8 devices. I've had a couple HTC devices and I can't really say anything bad about them except that the battery life wasn't the greatest, so I wouldn't write them off if they were my only option.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
There are only two cases where I can imagine myself not getting a Nokia:

1. If an htc (or any other) device comes out significantly earlier than another wp8 device, say a month, it would be very tempting for me to go ahead. I'm quite impatient when it comes to new technology. Of course, I'd probably put it on ebay and purchase the Nokia anyways (i'm not a big fan of purchase and return test drives, I only return if the device is defective)

2. If HTC or Samsung release something really special, and at the same time Nokia doesn't release a pureview-equipped phone

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

The sales data recentlyreleaased disagrees with your assertions about WP8 killing WP7. In any event it appears that Nokia will be announcing WP8 devices in early September and HTC as well. I would say that Nokia has made somewhat of a recovery as far as stock price and is more likely to aided or bought by MS should their position worsen than HTC. Both have their issues but Nokia is much better off long term because of the close relationship to MS. After giving them mucho dinero MS wont let them go down the tube!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
is hard to wait for Nokia after their underwhelming phones. The good one is the Lumia 710 and it fails in comparison to the likes of Focus Flash/Radar and not to mention the excellent Focus 2.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Out of all the folks talking about Pureview, have any of you actually used a Pureview camera? I mean, on paper and what not it seems great, but don't judge it until you get to the store and snap a few low light pics yourself.

I have (I'm cheating on my Lumia 800 with my Nokia 808 sometimes :p), and it is really good. Haven't tried everything yet, but I'm really impressed. Now I'm looking forward to taking it to my next concert. The audio examples I've heard were really something. Never underestimate sound quality! (Dear Nokia, are you listening? When you're putting Pureview to a WP phone, please don't forget to Rich Recording as well. Thanks!)

To answer the question asked at the beginning: My next phone, if it is a WP again (and I'm leaning towards a "yes" right now), would either be Nokia or HTC (leaning towards Nokia, but also liking the HTC one series, at least lookwise).

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have (I'm cheating on my Lumia 800 with my Nokia 808 sometimes :p), and it is really good. Haven't tried everything yet, but I'm really impressed. Now I'm looking forward to taking it to my next concert. The audio examples I've heard were really something. Never underestimate sound quality! (Dear Nokia, are you listening? When you're putting Pureview to a WP phone, please don't forget to Rich Recording as well. Thanks!)

To answer the question asked at the beginning: My next phone, if it is a WP again (and I'm leaning towards a "yes" right now), would either be Nokia or HTC (leaning towards Nokia, but also liking the HTC one series, at least lookwise).

Well, I hope that pureview on a WP device works out the same, because those 808 pics I saw were BEAST. I hope they try to scale down the funny looking hump as well. A pureview WP8 dual core device could make them push the price point up a bit. But if they are going to try and salvage their company, then Nokia would probably think long and hard about the price and make sure they don't have any release day mess ups and credit all us folks with 100 dollars again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes