Ballmer hints at more MS hardware in future

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Steve Ballmer issued a letter to shareholders today that hinted that Microsoft would be more focused on releasing hardware in the future, like they have with the XBox and soon to be released Surface tablet.

There was no direct indication that MS would be releasing a phone in the future, it sure feels like that from some of the statements in the letter. I think there is more smoke building that will eventually lead to the surface phone fire.

This is just one quote from the letter that indicates their desire to make more hardware of their own:

Although Ballmer says Microsoft will continue to work with its loyal partners on Windows PCs, tablets, and phones, the software maker is clearly positioning itself as one that can also deliver premium hardware experiences of its own. "There will be times when we build specific devices for specific purposes," explains Ballmer. "In all our work with partners and on our own devices, we will focus relentlessly on delivering delightful, seamless experiences across hardware, software and services."

Here is the letter itself:
Shareholder Letter

Verge article:
Ballmer to Microsoft shareholders: 'a fundamental shift [is] underway in our business' | The Verge

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
+1
Love the new MS too !
Also love my 900 but lusting the 920.
Tech Q?
How do I attach pic in my posts. I participate in this forum using the mobile website m.wpcentral.com. Pls advise, thanks !

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
HTC & Samsung are valuable partners, but most likely only due to contractual obligations, i doubt at the moment they really care if WP8 flourishes or fails.

Microsoft are completely dependant on Nokia, and thats not a good position for Microsoft to be in, especially with Nokia in such dire financial circumstances. If Nokia dropped Mobile development or moved to Android tomorrow, Microsoft would be bu66ered. So having a backup plan is essential.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Samsung and HTC will do well with WP8. Nokia has essentially handed them the Verizon and T-Mobile high end markets, saying "we don't really intend to compete here. Knock yourselves out, guys!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon