Trash-talking on the one who could push WP8 further.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Yep, not the first thread started taking shots at nokia under the guise of something else. Just gets more transparent each time.
I never took shots at Nokia, but I always said that it was not necessarily the best device for everyone... I also stated many times that I want a Lumia 920 or a ATIV s, but every time that someone states the cons or the not so useful about the Lumia 920 it is seen as Nokia bashing... Ironic since there is a huge amount of bashing towards the ATIV s and the ones who want it...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
All the new WP are going to be very similar in turns of specs and quality, any one who says other wise is completely ignorent. It comes down to preference, 100%... each phones will have pros and cons that will tend to make people lean towards one OEM or n other!

I agree that people are posting allot of dumb, useless and unwanted comments but that's what you get when the OS grows , and random new people join the forums with nothing constructive to add to the table. This causes people to dig deap just to have their voice heard witch leads to trolling,bashing and lack of judgment!!!!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I never took shots at Nokia, but I always said that it was not necessarily the best device for everyone... I also stated many times that I want a Lumia 920 or a ATIV s, but every time that someone states the cons or the not so useful about the Lumia 920 it is seen as Nokia bashing... Ironic since there is a huge amount of bashing towards the ATIV s and the ones who want it...

Didn't even mention any names but you answered. Thanks for making it so easy.

Where is this huge amount of bashing towards ATIV? Winterfang alone attacks nokia more than the total number of people getting on samsung.

Lighten up Francis.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Didn't even mention any names but you answered. Thanks for making it so easy.

Where is this huge amount of bashing towards ATIV? Winterfang alone attacks nokia more than the total number of people getting on samsung.

Lighten up Francis.
Well since I created the thread... you were talking about me...

Xaphoon148

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
This shouldn't really be an issue.
Both Lumia, Ativ S and the htc wp8 series are indeed WP8!
I'm going to get a yellow Lumia 920, but all of you getting a
Samsung, htc or any other WP8 device... Enjoy :)

anon(5339784)

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Relax dude. He said it arguably has the best specs. Where's the lie?

Because he made it look like it had stronger specs than the others, which it doesn't. It has the same specs, same processor and RAM. It has a lower quality screen than the others, with that cheap Pentile panel.

With 2 subpixels per pixel on the Pentile instead of 3 subpixel per pixel on a RGB panel, you can easily make the calculation of how many subpixels there are and come up with something interesting:

720 pixels x 2 = 1440
480 pixels x 3 = 1440

For Samsung, it's a win-win: They get to produce as cheap as with lower resolution displays because of the saving in subpixels, but they get to write high numbers on the spec-sheets.

As for the storage space (I already wrote a reply to that, but the system of this forum ended my session and so when I wanted to post it, it asked me to log in again and my post was los), my C: drive with Photoshop, Office and dozens of other programs takes up 30 GB, my Music Folder with over 2700 tracks around 13, my Photos Folder with over 5000 pics around 4-5Gb, and I doubt that someone will have that much stuff on their phone. I currently have about 10-12GB of media on my 16GB phone, and I severly doubt that WP8 and a whole truckload of 1-15MB Apps would take up anywere near 5GB, so on a 32GB phone you would, worst case scenario, still have around 25GB for media, which is twice as much as I have now and should be plenty for 4-5000 songs and easily a thousand photos that you would snap with your phone. Unless you want to carry around whole TV series' in HD, I don't see why non-expandable storage on a 32GB phone should be an issue. And if you do want to do that, just get a $250 7" tablet, they are incredibly cheap (given their specs, they are half the price of comparable phones, with a larger battery and screen), you will have much more pleasure watching videos on it than on a tiny phone screen which you have to hold close to your eyes, and you'll have more fun surfing the web with that larger screen, and they are still pocketable enough. I applaud the arrival of the cheap 7" tablets, as they give us the possibility to let our phones be phones again, and open up new possibilities for phone purchases as we no longer have to run after near 5" screens because we might want to surf the web more comfortably, we can now get "smaller" (4+ inches is still pretty large) phones which we can still surf on, and a tablet for longer sessions of web-browsing and movie watching. Now if only the phone manufacturers would understand that, and give us the same specs and technology that they have in their large phones in the ones with the human-sized screens, instead of forcing us to buy the larger phone just because we don't want 1-2 year old specs...

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
All I am saying is that the ATIV s is a damn good device and it deserves respect... it might not have all the accessories that the Lumia has, but as far as I am concern it's like automobiles, more options doesn't mean better...

Agreed, and I wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

I'm not bashing Nokia, but there really is no need to bother with special Purity Headphones. They are just Monster headphones made in special colors to match Lumia devices. Any brand of headphones will work, since the Lumias use standard 3.5mm headphone jacks and support A2DP Bluetooth. My Klipsch headphones, which I've had for over two years, work just fine.

I know the Purity Headphones are made by Monster, but what does that have to do with the discussion at hand? You missed my point. My point was ECOSYSTEM of accessories. Sure, people like you and me will not care that much about accessories, but just look at the iPhone market. If you think for one second that people don't care, you are blind or have your head in the sand. With Nokia's announcements for the Lumia line, they clearly see this as a differentiator to the other ODM's in the Windows Phone family.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Seems to me he was just stating his opinion. You can talk all you want about subpixals or whatever, but if my next phone has as awesome a screen as my GS3 does, I don't know how I could complain. I don't buy into the Apple hype of retina display crap... The iPhone 4S/5 looks awesome, as does the GS3.

Just because you think the storage is enough at 32GB (and I agree with you that, for me personally, it will probably get by.) doesn't mean eveybody does. Telling somebody to get a 7" tablet just to have more storage seems pretty silly. Not everybody wants to spend $250 on a tablet when a $20 SD card can expand storage pretty easy. I hope to God phone makers don't stop making big screen phones. 7" tablets are just as hard to lug around as 10" ones..

The ATIV has a bigger screen. It also have a bigger battery and is lighter. For some people, that will be a huge plus. It's not that big of a deal for me between the 920 and the ATIV, but it toally puts the 8X way at the bottom of my list. It brings nothing to the table compared to the other two. ATIV or 920.. first to Verizon wins for me. Neither device really blows the other one away.

Because he made it look like it had stronger specs than the others, which it doesn't. It has the same specs, same processor and RAM. It has a lower quality screen than the others, with that cheap Pentile panel.

With 2 subpixels per pixel on the Pentile instead of 3 subpixel per pixel on a RGB panel, you can easily make the calculation of how many subpixels there are and come up with something interesting:

720 pixels x 2 = 1440
480 pixels x 3 = 1440

For Samsung, it's a win-win: They get to produce as cheap as with lower resolution displays because of the saving in subpixels, but they get to write high numbers on the spec-sheets.

As for the storage space (I already wrote a reply to that, but the system of this forum ended my session and so when I wanted to post it, it asked me to log in again and my post was los), my C: drive with Photoshop, Office and dozens of other programs takes up 30 GB, my Music Folder with over 2700 tracks around 13, my Photos Folder with over 5000 pics around 4-5Gb, and I doubt that someone will have that much stuff on their phone. I currently have about 10-12GB of media on my 16GB phone, and I severly doubt that WP8 and a whole truckload of 1-15MB Apps would take up anywere near 5GB, so on a 32GB phone you would, worst case scenario, still have around 25GB for media, which is twice as much as I have now and should be plenty for 4-5000 songs and easily a thousand photos that you would snap with your phone. Unless you want to carry around whole TV series' in HD, I don't see why non-expandable storage on a 32GB phone should be an issue. And if you do want to do that, just get a $250 7" tablet, they are incredibly cheap (given their specs, they are half the price of comparable phones, with a larger battery and screen), you will have much more pleasure watching videos on it than on a tiny phone screen which you have to hold close to your eyes, and you'll have more fun surfing the web with that larger screen, and they are still pocketable enough. I applaud the arrival of the cheap 7" tablets, as they give us the possibility to let our phones be phones again, and open up new possibilities for phone purchases as we no longer have to run after near 5" screens because we might want to surf the web more comfortably, we can now get "smaller" (4+ inches is still pretty large) phones which we can still surf on, and a tablet for longer sessions of web-browsing and movie watching. Now if only the phone manufacturers would understand that, and give us the same specs and technology that they have in their large phones in the ones with the human-sized screens, instead of forcing us to buy the larger phone just because we don't want 1-2 year old specs...

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

720 pixels x 2 = 1440
480 pixels x 3 = 1440

I don't care about pixel numbers. I've seen the gs3 screen and it's super nice. The thing about screens though is you won't notice the difference of an average screen from an above average screen unless they are side by side.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't care about pixel numbers. I've seen the gs3 screen and it's super nice. The thing about screens though is you won't notice the difference of an average screen from an above average screen unless they are side by side.

And the GS3 is an above average screen... as I'm sure the 920 is as well. Pixal density is for Apple Fanboys.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, and I wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

I know the Purity Headphones are made by Monster, but what does that have to do with the discussion at hand? You missed my point. My point was ECOSYSTEM of accessories. Sure, people like you and me will not care that much about accessories, but just look at the iPhone market. If you think for one second that people don't care, you are blind or have your head in the sand. With Nokia's announcements for the Lumia line, they clearly see this as a differentiator to the other ODM's in the Windows Phone family.

I really do not see any device-specific accessories, such as headphones or speaker docks, becoming popular other than for Apple products. This article states it well here: "You see, accessory manufacturers have a problem when designing for any device other than one of Apples offerings. Apple?s offerings use exactly the same connection and, most of the time, position it in the same location on each device. As a result, manufacturers simply need to accommodate different sized devices in order to make their iOS accessory ?universal? across Apple?s line. (The worst case scenario requires a simple insert.) This is not the case when one leaves the world of iOS devices. Yes, while the microUSB connection is now standard, each device not only has a different size but also locates and orients the microUSB in a different place. For example, the HTC HD 7 has the microUSB connection on the bottom but offset a bit to the right. Another device I recently reviewed had the microUSB connection on the side while a third placed the microUSB connection on the top of the device. The connector is universal but that?s as far as it goes. That?s a problem if you?re looking to create one accessory that can be used with each and every device. It is, in fact, why we see such a limited number of ?device-specific? accessories for each new Android or Windows Phone device. It is simply not cost effective."

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but so far the prevailing rumor is that all MicroSD connections for WP8 phones will in fact be on the bottom of the device right in the middle. This could actually allow for a much better accessory market... And NFC for all WP8 devices and it will make it easy to tap a phone to a speaker unit and pop it in the charger. I'm hopeful.

I really do not see any device-specific accessories, such as headphones or speaker docks, becoming popular other than for Apple products. This article states it well here: "You see, accessory manufacturers have a problem when designing for any device other than one of Apples offerings. Apple?s offerings use exactly the same connection and, most of the time, position it in the same location on each device. As a result, manufacturers simply need to accommodate different sized devices in order to make their iOS accessory ?universal? across Apple?s line. (The worst case scenario requires a simple insert.) This is not the case when one leaves the world of iOS devices. Yes, while the microUSB connection is now standard, each device not only has a different size but also locates and orients the microUSB in a different place. For example, the HTC HD 7 has the microUSB connection on the bottom but offset a bit to the right. Another device I recently reviewed had the microUSB connection on the side while a third placed the microUSB connection on the top of the device. The connector is universal but that?s as far as it goes. That?s a problem if you?re looking to create one accessory that can be used with each and every device. It is, in fact, why we see such a limited number of ?device-specific? accessories for each new Android or Windows Phone device. It is simply not cost effective."

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I honestly haven't seen much Samsung trashing at all.

I do see people say that they personally think it feels cheap. But I don't think anyone has actually said that the device is bad of poor quality. They just personally don't like the feel of it.

The same as how some people don't like how hefty the Nokias are.

The problem is if someone says that feeling cheap means that it IS cheap. Which is not the case. My Samsung Focus has been great.

But admittedly, I don't read the comments on articles as much as I read the forums. The articles might have a lot more undeserved trash talking about Samsung.

But the forum tends to have a lot of trash talking about Nokia. (but to be fair, the actual "trash talk" is probably from about 3 members)

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
28402826.jpg

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I suspect the trash talking will die down as soon as they are released. In general those who buy the Ativ will tend to stay in their forums and those who buy a Lumia will stay in the Lumia forums. Those who are in the market should be able to get better real life reviews on either.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This is not the case when one leaves the world of iOS devices. Yes, while the microUSB connection is now standard, each device not only has a different size but also locates and orients the microUSB in a different place. For example, the HTC HD 7 has the microUSB connection on the bottom but offset a bit to the right. Another device I recently reviewed had the microUSB connection on the side while a third placed the microUSB connection on the top of the device. The connector is universal but that?s as far as it goes. That?s a problem if you?re looking to create one accessory that can be used with each and every device. It is, in fact, why we see such a limited number of ?device-specific? accessories for each new Android or Windows Phone device. It is simply not cost effective."

The worst part is that the manufacturers dont even seem to realize this. Why cant every HTC or samsung or Nokia have the USB in the same spot? Then they could at least put out their own line of accessories. They would be able to sell them quite well I think too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3