Nokia to return in 2016 says Forbes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Because they did so well at it the last time?

Nokia was a great brand, and one of the first inventors and innovators in mobile technology. But their product fell behind to products from Apple and Samsung etc, and their hail Mary pass was to team exclusively with Microsoft with Windows Phone. Some may say that this was a bad choice for them, but I disagree. I think Nokia would have been hemorrhaging money equally if they had decided to build Android phones. And Google would not have come to their rescue. The fate of that Nokia would be that of Motorola, another very old brand name in mobile phones, that was purchased by Google for what one can only assume was the patent portfolio, and the parts that Google didn't want were later sold to Lenovo.

In 2016, Nokia can legally begin to start designing and building cell phones again. Except that all of the people they employed to do that are now Microsoft employees. Maybe some would leave and join this new Nokia venture, but they'd be starting at ground zero. No previous designs they could use. No patents they could employ to keep their costs low. No manufacturing, since those Nokia factories belong to Microsoft. They'd either need to start by building expensive plants, or just outsource that to Foxxconn or a similar company.

This new Nokia may make some people happy to see a phone with NOKIA emblazoned across the screen, but that phone won't have the soul of Nokia, it won't be of the lineage of the Nokia 3300, or the N8 or the Lumia 1020 or any of the iconic Nokia phones that people would be expecting.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't buy one, ever. It wouldn't be the same Nokia we know. And as for now, I'm a die-hard Microsoft fan. I'd only use it if it ran whatEver OS Microsoft has out at the time.

Also, some people fail to realize that Nokia needed Microsoft as much as Microsoft needed them. Nokia was dying. They needed Windows Phone and Microsoft. So, don't just expect Nokia to be big.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I suspect we will see fewer, not more, mobile device OEMs by 2016. Pantech is up for sale, while it has filed Chapter 15 bankruptcy protection in the US. South Korean Phone Maker Pantech Files Bankruptcy in U.S. - Bloomberg

HTC was profitable in Q3 2014, mainly due to cost-cutting measures, rather than increased sales.

It makes you wonder how long some of these device makers can continue to scrape by. It seems like they latch onto anything new that appears, such as wearables, sports cameras, and Bluetooth headsets. I guess it helps to be diverse, and pray to the technology gods that something you create will be a hit.

It's a tough market.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
If they return I glad to use it again.
I know they can't use it again.

Maybe ms wil screw out and sell it's mobile division back to Nokia who knows?

Or maybe they will designed phone again in MS. They may not take the reins but all MS phone would designed once more with Nokia

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

..... But their product fell behind to products from Apple and Samsung etc, .....

i hardly disagree, during the days Apple and Samsung were kicking off, nokia made the ultimate phone, the nokia N8.

weirdly the phone didn't sell, although i can honestly say it can eat the iPhone 3g and the galaxy 2 for breakfast. even Symbian at that time was very mature.

god i miss that (full packaged) phone. An FM transmitter! you have no idea how helpful that was, cars even now still don't have Bluetooth.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I still miss FM Transmitter, it was the easiest way to play your music on car radio or even on home hi-fis.
I wish the next Lumia 1030 would have this feature, even if it cost $1000, I would but it

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Wonder if future phones would become like PC. We custom built our own... We buy an empty casing, put whatever CPU, screen size/type, any components we want. Your choice of OS Mix'n' Match phones.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Wonder if future phones would become like PC. We custom built our own... We buy an empty casing, put whatever CPU, screen size/type, any components we want. Your choice of OS Mix'n' Match phones.

Who kknows?. Now is the era of smartphones and 2016 2? I can't say. The growth creep me out

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
They'll do well because they'll go with Android and end up somewhere below Samsung and above Motorola. MS needs to bring their A game for the next two years. No weaksauce.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
They'll do well because they'll go with Android and end up somewhere below Samsung and above Motorola. MS needs to bring their A game for the next two years. No weaksauce.
I don't think so. It may be more relevant if playing Windows Phone again. What's the reason not adopting Android at the 1st place? They have their reason.
Windows Phone License currently free even though it's close source (semi open maybe) and whether they succeeded or not later is depending on MS role right now.

I have great Expectation on Windows 10 hope it's doesn't let me down

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Nokia was a great brand, and one of the first inventors and innovators in mobile technology. But their product fell behind to products from Apple and Samsung etc, and their hail Mary pass was to team exclusively with Microsoft with Windows Phone. Some may say that this was a bad choice for them, but I disagree. I think Nokia would have been hemorrhaging money equally if they had decided to build Android phones. And Google would not have come to their rescue. The fate of that Nokia would be that of Motorola, another very old brand name in mobile phones, that was purchased by Google for what one can only assume was the patent portfolio, and the parts that Google didn't want were later sold to Lenovo.

In 2016, Nokia can legally begin to start designing and building cell phones again. Except that all of the people they employed to do that are now Microsoft employees. Maybe some would leave and join this new Nokia venture, but they'd be starting at ground zero. No previous designs they could use. No patents they could employ to keep their costs low. No manufacturing, since those Nokia factories belong to Microsoft. They'd either need to start by building expensive plants, or just outsource that to Foxxconn or a similar company.

This new Nokia may make some people happy to see a phone with NOKIA emblazoned across the screen, but that phone won't have the soul of Nokia, it won't be of the lineage of the Nokia 3300, or the N8 or the Lumia 1020 or any of the iconic Nokia phones that people would be expecting.

Even though you write well, you are little off here. First of all Microsoft did not come to Nokia's rescue, Nokia FORCED Microsoft buy the heavy losses making unit, which is only the devices & services. There is proof of this to anyone by just looking at the terms the deal was made. Nokia kept EVERYTHING that matter. And I mean everything! Patents, the name, THE R&D, HERE, basically everything. Nokia’s board played the cards really well and Im sure they evaluated the Android route and knew, they will never reach a position in Android space where they can force Google to buy. Also many does not seem to take in to account few things in that scenario. MS paid nice money for the WP transition, they would have got nada from Google and HERE would have been something Google wants to see DEAD.

So Nokia did what they could, took over the Windows Phone space and then said to Microsoft we will go Android, this didn’t work well enough. That would have been the DEATH of Windows Phone and Microsoft had no choice. Everyone stand and applaud to Mr Siilasmaa and rest of the board for this play. 7bn for that is amazing. Amazing because what I said earlier, Nokia kept everything that mattered.

Now to the subject, would it be possible Nokia returns to the consumer space. Hell yes. But with just becoming another phone maker? No. Simple, that space is starting to die. Even Samsung are being pushed from all sides. Why would they enter there? But they do have the R&D, so they have the future of the mobile space. They will most likely enter in some form, either by licensing unseen tech to others, or making something themselves.

And by the way, outsourcing to Foxxconn or similar is the way to do it these days in the Mobile Phone space.

EDIT: When thinking about the future and Nokia, think this; They have the tower tech where devices connect, they have the R&D that has a huge potential in the future portables (and wearables) and they have one of the best positioning systems. All these combined, working together could make something that we havent even thought about yet. Just a thought, who knows what the future brings.

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Now to the subject, would it be possible Nokia returns to the consumer space. Hell yes. But with just becoming another phone maker? No. Simple, that space is starting to die. Even Samsung are being pushed from all sides. Why would they enter there? But they do have the R&D, so they have the future of the mobile space. They will most likely enter in some form, either by licensing unseen tech to others, or making something themselves.

The article that OP linked specifically discusses Nokia building handsets, either with Android or Sailfish.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
It's unlikely Nokia would suddenly jump on the Android bandwagon. Premium Android market is practically dominated by Samsung and the cheaper areas by Samsung, Micromax, and now Moto (G/E) and similar. Nokia has no place there and the market has become so saturated that it's too late to start now.

Windows Phone would be the way to go. Nokia kept all their patents and just licensed them to MS.

They'll probably stick with Windows Phone. It seems like the most plausibly route for them to take.

We're talking about the same company that came out with many 'firsts' and 'bests' here! Even if they gave up the majority of their workforce, they haven't actually lost any of their IP and that's what counts. By 2016, who knows, making WP handsets might become a sustainable business, and Nokia, despite only having their name printed on featurephones at this point, is still alive in name. Loyalists will still be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon