Are you disappointed by the rumored MS flagship specs??

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I find it interesting that Lenovo manages to squeeze a 4 Ah battery into a 5" device, but no one else can do it? They probably use a small camera, but still.

Higher resolution than 1080 is just a waste of battery time, but I guess MS have to attract buyers with higher numbers just like everyone else

20 mp doesn't really tell us anything. Is it the same as in 1520? What about sensor size? I have 1020, and the last thing I need is more pixels.
Give me a proper AF, a better point and shoot experience in general, oh and better video controls. It's soo hard to avoid motion blur, I'd rather get grainy shots.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
MP count doesn't really matter. I have a 4MP Olympus that takes great pictures even today. It's what they do with the MP they put in. So if they release a 20MP camera that takes better pictures than the 1020, I'll be happy with the specs. If the 1020 still takes better pictures, then I'll be disappointed. The camera is my main decision point. I figure W10 will be serviceable as an OS, the interface will be tolerable, and the gee-whiz features hopefully non-invasive. But the camera needs to be far above every other cameraphone.

Idris Ahmed1

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I find the camera on my 930 (also 20 megapixel) quite amazing, far better than what I expect from a phone. But I think you'll find that the software behind the camera is quite important too. There were many upgrades to the camera with the 8.1 denim update and I hope that when the new flagship is revealed, the software behind that continues to improve. As for the screen, I'm not sure I'll enjoy a screen of that size, I've never been a huge fan of phablets, but I'll satisfy with the next phone (i.e not the flagship one, but it's smaller brother - like the 830 is to the 930) :)

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Neither of these flagships interest me in the least. The only thing I truly want is a competent midrange phablet (5.5" - 5.7") with an SD6XX SoC, a Pureview camera, and a price tag around $399.

I was terribly disappointed that MS thought the L830 was worth $449.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
These sound perfect, actually...

With the typical year to year camera sensor and software improvements, I think these 20MP cameras will probably rival the 1020. The 930/1520 was already ~90% there, IMO. (I own both). I just hope they still have as good or better audio recording as the 1520.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Just because it will have 20 MP does not necessarily mean that the cameras will be lower quality than that of the 1020. There is way more to camera quality than the number of MegaPixels. How it does in low light, at higher ISO for example, and flash quality, to name just two.

I love the camera on my 1020. I had accidentally killed my Iphone and I needed a quick replacement but I didn't have any time to do research. I went to my AT&T store and asked which smartphone had the best camera, and to their credit they suggested the 1020. I don't really like making purchases that way, but this worked great for me. I got the 1020 so I could ditch the point and shoot while doing social media snapshots for my business, and it has worked very well for that.

That said, I knew when I got it in Feb 2014 that by the time I was ready to buy the next smartphone, that many flagships would have cameras nearly as good as point-and-shoot, at least for close shots.

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
No, because I don't care about specs. I care if a phone works for me. Nearly every phone today is too friggin big. And I'd trade all the megapixels for a better sensor and lense. I guess that means I do care, at least a little.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Just because it will have 20 MP does not necessarily mean that the cameras will be lower quality than that of the 1020. There is way more to camera quality than the number of MegaPixels. How it does in low light, at higher ISO for example, and flash quality, to name just two.

I love the camera on my 1020. I had accidentally killed my Iphone and I needed a quick replacement but I didn't have any time to do research. I went to my AT&T store and asked which smartphone had the best camera, and to their credit they suggested the 1020. I don't really like making purchases that way, but this worked great for me. I got the 1020 so I could ditch the point and shoot while doing social media snapshots for my business, and it has worked very well for that.

That said, I knew when I got it in Feb 2014 that by the time I was ready to buy the next smartphone, that many flagships would have cameras nearly as good as point-and-shoot, at least for close shots.

I would love to see the flagships achieve low light pictures with much less grain...then they could brag about having awesome low light performance,because the way pictures show up grainy in low light,you're better off using flash and then using the rich capture/dynamic flash feature to tone it down a little so its not so yellow/orange and brightly washed out...for me atleast

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
These sound perfect, actually...

With the typical year to year camera sensor and software improvements, I think these 20MP cameras will probably rival the 1020. The 930/1520 was already ~90% there, IMO. (I own both). I just hope they still have as good or better audio recording as the 1520.

Do you have denim on your 930? And if so how would you describe the battery life? Compared to the 1520..if you've had any of the 92x series phones (920,925.928), would you say it lasts longer than those?

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
don't care about specs...didn't care too much about specs. the only worry about specs is that it has something at least similar to competition (at the time of purchase) so it doesn't feel like you bought something outdated (doesn't apply to apple though, they can put apple on anything and it'll sell, plus they don't need the best numbers to be the best performing).

On that note, my phone is getting windows 10. when I actually need a new phone (and not because its new and shiny) then i'll worry about whether the specs are up to par or not (low end...don't are, just look for the good combination of price, features performance. High end? well just make sure you get your money's worth)

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Back when wp8 first came out windows phones flagships were perfectly fine and comparable if not better than their android competitors,while rocking modest but great 720p displays, and dual core processors...It's more so the ppi that matters more than overall resolution, and performance matters more than what processor is giving you that performance..as long as ppi is over 300-350 ,and pixels aren't detective then its resolution is good enough to be a flagship display

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm kinda hoping that the new flagships have a micro-USB and a Type-C port. One of the reasons I went with the Surface 3 over the Pro is that it charges by micro-USB, which is the same as my 1520 and my LG Tone + headset. When I travel with a Incident Management Team, sometimes my luggage space is limited, so having one wall wart and a couple of cables saves valuable space. That being said, I'm sure Continuum will need the additional throughput of a Type-C port.

My biggest hope is that it will use the Surface Pen and run OneNote. That would be a killer application!

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Although, i'd be ok with it, the rumored specs are just on par with what's out last year.

In order for MS to hit this out the park, they need to come with it.

Windows Hello
Continuum
Glance Screen
2k screen
Qi or wifi charging
Exceptional breakthrough quality camera with OIS and HAAC microphones.
SD Card slot
Removable battery
Pentaband modem

.. in a thin metal bodied frame like Surface with SURFACE branding.

They would need to pull out all stops to win some customers over and that's what we want and what other platform users need to get noticed. Nothing less is acceptable to be honest. Or, they'll be repeating 2010-2014 again with late to market specs and zero excitement.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
These specs are on par with what's just been released: LG g4, htc m9. That's current. That's a good thing, right? These supposed specs are current. No one should expect any less. More, well that's a bonus.

liveforten

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I would rather have a 1080p HD instead of qHD. Battery life is important to me. Everything else seems ok.
Definitely agree. It feels like there is room for one more phone below these 940s. 1080p screen, quad core, maybe 4.7 to 5 inch screen...Lumia 935? That would probably be the sweet spot for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon