New Surface Phone Concept (Sept 2016)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Those are amazing designs, quite graceful and believable. And I like the sharpness of the edges and corners - never did like rounded corners

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
A little (very slight) edge to the industrial look but not bad for an idea. Given how the Surface Book came out and how the Pro 3 really got the form right but then the 4 got us the wonderful Hello features, I tend to think even a first gen Surface phone is likely to wow us. I'm thinking its something that will make Apple say "darn wish we'd thought of that". Wouldn't it be funny to end up with both an iPhone 8 and an iPhone "pro" in 2017 just because of the Surface phone? I don't think phones have as much wiggle room for "wow" features that larger devices have but I'm pretty confident whatever ones can be found will be used. I don't think any phone yet has a UV sensor or temperature sensor. Just giving food for thought but I like this mockup. It stimulates ideas which is always what this entire industry should be about.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I think keyboard is unusable and the pen should be put inside the phone.
Also i think this is a standard form factor, and surface phone had to be different.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I think keyboard is unusable and the pen should be put inside the phone.
Also i think this is a standard form factor, and surface phone had to be different.

I think you're right, the keyboard would be quite cramped - this is 6 inches or so? Another concept from another user had the keyboard folding so that you could get a wide version

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
That device is chunnnkkkyy but i like it.

And an open question to everyone: Do we think that if MS were to include a pen that slides into the phone they would be criticized for copying the Note line?

The kickstand also needs that angular design so that it can function both in landscape and portrait mode. Like the earlier Surface Phone concept we have all seen.

I like the dary grey and blue look though

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
What if the Surface Phone has a projected keyboard that allows any surface to be a keyboard extension, similar to how this (https://www.amazon.com/CTX-VK200-Re...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3572010) works?

Also, instead of a normal pen, we get ourselves something similar to the ones available on galaxy notes? Small so that it can be fitted into the phone, but with clickable toggle/eraser at the end, of course, or any other extra features.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Weird I saw this a while back. I think phone concepts just featured it finally. I am not a fan of the blue marks on the side? What? Maybe if it came with 2 audio jacks.

jimmy s1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
again we cant think that shrinking surface device to a phone level would we amazing design for a phone, surface ignited the pc industry, the PHONE should do the same

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm...

What I like:
- Speaker placement looks like it could deliver better stereo.
- Form looks alright, but may need getting used to from the smooth edges of competitor devices.

What I don't like:
- ...are those speaker holes at the back of the device, too?
- Screen looks awkward. If it would be made to "touch" the edges of the device, why not curve it towards the edges instead? OR make the border of the screen the same color as the speaker grills (if they're speaker grills).
- What's with those blue squares on the sides? I find them distracting.
- Keyboard interface... for real? A foldable portable bluetooth keyboard may be better.

P.S.
I'm aware that the OP is probably not the designer. Rhetorical questions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss