Chuwi SurBook: Affordable 2-in-1 Tablet

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you heard of the Chuwi SurBook?

Yep, it is a Surface clone and yes they are a Microsoft Partner.

Just over a week left to get a great deal on a new 2-in-1 through IndieGoGo with $100 off the top end model and a free Tempered Glass screen protector for all preorders (stretch goal met).

• Windows 10 ("Chuwi is committed to using a full, licensed version of Windows 10, not the cut down Windows 10 S that some rivals use.")
  • Intel Celeron N3450 (Apollo Lake), 4 core, 1.1 GHz w/ Turbo to 2.2 GHz (fanless)
  • 6GB DDR3 RAM
  • 64GB or 128GB flash memory
  • 12.3" display, 3:2 ratio, (2k) 2736 x 1824 pixels at 267ppi, 450 nits
  • Magnesium alloy casing and 125 degree hinged kickstand
  • Ports: (1x) full function USB Type C, (2x) USB 3.0, microSDXC
  • 2 stereo speakers, microphone, headphone jack
  • 5MP rear camera, 2MP ffc
  • WiFi: a/b/g/n/ac 2.4/5 GHz, Bluetooth 4.0
  • Ambient Light/Hall/Gravity sensors
  • 10,000 mAh Li-Po battery
  • Supports pen w/ up to 1024 levels of pressure
Preorder now and get the 128GB Surbook, pen and detachable backlit keyboard for $399 USD. Includes free shipping and since they raised over 600k all preorders will get a free 2.5d Tempered Glass screen protector. $299 gets you the 64GB Surbook and $349 gets you the 64GB w/ pen and keyboard.

I looked pretty hard and could not find a better value in a 2-in-1 unless I went to the used market.

I bought in. Who's with me?

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Looks like a good device for the price, I'm still hesitant about that company myself. Either way I won't get one as it's a downgrade to my current Surface Pro 3.

You should write a post about your thoughts on it, or a small review when you get it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely not expecting more than I'm paying for. I've seen some favorable revues of Chuwi that usually take the value aspect into consideration as well as some negative ones that seem to have lost that perspective. LOL, if I had an SP3 I wouldn't need this SurBook so I agree with you there. I think I'm going in with sufficient research and appropriate expectations. Most of my work load entails little in the way of heavy lifting.

Honestly my current laptop is about even or a little behind and I'm hoping this replaces it as a daily. I want the better portability over a 15.6" laptop that weighs in over 5 lbs and better inking than the low ppi touch screen I have now. My tablet is also long in the tooth since it's a Nokia 2520. Don't get me wrong, they both still handle my needs, but this seems a good shot at replacing them both and a good value with the $100 discount.

I'll definitely write something up after it comes in...

Already have a quality Samsung Evo Select 128GB card and a Samsung T3 250GB portable ssd on the way to round things out and give me enough storage for daily driver use.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Extended 20 days... https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...2-in-1-intel-pc-tablet--3/x/16395313#/updates

• Prices took a slight bump up
  • "Will not at any way affect our delivery timeline"
  • "Earliest supporters will receive their orders first"
  • "We may start to ship SurBook at the end of July or early August"
Note that the last bit contradicts the initial timeline slightly...

Capture02.png

I'm still 100% confident I'll see delivery. I also hope the extra time is spent ironing out any last minute bugs.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Getting closer... On the IdieGoGo page Chuwi has begun reply with this in comments:
Hi, thanks for your support! We have already solved the problems, now we are discussing about the manufacturing / shipping timeline. We will update that to you in this week.

Also they are on AliExpress in their official store.

On AliExpress they want:
$528.56 for the 64GB tablet only, it is on IndieGoGo still for $319 (up from $299)
$614.27 for the 64GB w/ pen and keyboard, on IndieGoGo it is $379 (up from $349)
$699.99 for the 128GB w/ pen and keyboard, on IndieGoGo it is $439 (up from $399)

The initial AliExpress prices might be inflated a bit. It appears it can be ordered now and will deliver in 19 - 39 days...

Glad I got in at $399 for the 128GB w/ pen and keyboard. Patience is a virtue. I'm looking forward to my unit shipping to arrive (hopefully) just as September begins.

I believe by the time this hits Amazon the price for a 128GB w/pen and keyboard should settle in around $550. Just a guess.

If you were on the fence about getting one, now seems the time to order through IndieGoGo before those prices disappear.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mass production has been ongoing since August 11... Latest update is that they may finish quality checking first batches and begin shipping this week for IndieGoGo preorders...

GearBest has the 128GB on preorder for $469.99 without keyboard or pen and a stated shipping date of September 18.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e..._683978.html%3Flkid%3D10966707&token=1R2yVyY2

They also have a "First Look" on their BestGear blog.
https://bestgear.me/first-look-chuwi-surbook-2-1-tablet-pc/

You can still get the 128GB storage with keyboard and pen for $439, the 64GB with keyboard and pen for $379, or just the 64GB for $319 over at IndieGoGo. I have a feeling that once shipping starts they will cut that preorder channel off or raise the price again.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/chuwi-surbook-affordable-2-in-1-intel-pc-tablet--3#/

Here's a detailed spec rundown again:
  • Samsung built IGZO display that is 3:2 aspect ratio, IPS LCD, 12.3", 2736 x 1824 (2k resolution), 267 ppi, 450 nits, 10 point multitouch
  • Intel Celeron Apollo Lake N3450, 14nm Goldmont, 4-core/4-thread, 1.1GHz w/ Turbo to 2.2GHz
  • Intel HD Graphics 500, 200MHz base to 700MHz burst, 12 execution units
  • 6GB DDR3 RAM
  • eMMC 5.0 storage in 64 or 128GB, microSD slot to 128GB
  • Supports 1024 levels of pressure via stylus
  • Magnetic attach type cover (black or purple)
  • Magnesium alloy casing, 297.8 x 203.3 x 9.4 mm (11.72 x 8.00 x 0.37 inch), 967 grams (2.13 pounds or 34.11 ounces)
  • Top mount Volume and Power buttons
  • Left side ports are 3.5mm audio, 2 x USB A 3.0, 1 x USC Type C (full featured: power, data and audio/visual)
  • Left and Right side Stereo Speakers
  • 5.0 MP rear camera and 2.0 MP front facing camera
  • 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4/5GHz dual band WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, Ambient Light/Hall/Gravity sensors
  • 10,000 mAh Li-Po battery (37 watt hours) that supports PD 2.0 quick charge via Type C up to 20v. Stock charger will be a 12v/2a Type C connector
My notes:
  • I really think this is good value for the money after shopping 2-in-1 products. If you don't do a lot of heavy computation, repeated and protracted video/photo edits and/or hardcore gaming this tablet is well worth looking at.
  • 6GB RAM is definitely a bonus at this price point, even if it is the older DDR3 type.
  • The display isn't fully laminated to the glass, but a similar display on the Chuwi Hi13 gets a decent grade and the Surbook display is even brighter.
  • For the display, the Celeron Apollo Lake CPU, the 1024 levels of pressure stylus and other factors I'm expecting Chuwi to have refined the product. In essence this is a second gen product following up on the Hi13.
  • Yeah it's heavy. Reading reviews of other Chuwi products that seems to be their style and it translates into a rigid and durable casing. I'll take longevity and strength over light weight every day. YMMV.
  • 10,000 mAh (or 37 wH) seems generous for this size and form factor.
  • Type C may not be widely embraced, but I like the inclusion. I'm finding it to be a welcome addition to my recent tech purchases and I'm having a feeling of disappointment with microUSB 2.0 devices since adopting Type C use for some products.
  • Can't really find any specs on the cameras... Based on what Chuwi has done here in the past I expect they will be "alright" without any frills. Personally, I see no need for a rear camera on a tablet. If that is your picture taking go-to, you are investing in the wrong form factor. As for the 2.0 MP ffc, it should satisfy all but the most ardent of video chatters. If you vlog, then you probably have a better solution than and webcam setup - or you should.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So... They've tried twice to send my SurBook and their carrier rejects my address each time and it doesn't get put on the pallet. My address is written correctly. I'm trying to just get refunded at this point as I'll never see this in time for my trip to Portugal, which was the original motivating factor.

Found a deal on an Acer Switch Alpha 12 instead. $800 msrp for $574 BNIB through a trusted Etailer, B&H. The pen is included in this particular SKU so...

I went with that and am in fact typing this message on it right now. Nice machine.

Sorry, Chuwi. You just didn't come through for me.

iSingBass

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Can anybody confirm for me whether or not they cut corners on the pen and touchpad like on the Hi10 Pro? I was very disappointed in that device using a gimped touchpad that pretended it was a mouse, and a stylus that wasn't really a pen, so no pen + touch use case.

davidtayo

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
So... They've tried twice to send my SurBook and their carrier rejects my address each time and it doesn't get put on the pallet. My address is written correctly. I'm trying to just get refunded at this point as I'll never see this in time for my trip to Portugal, which was the original motivating factor.

Found a deal on an Acer Switch Alpha 12 instead. $800 msrp for $574 BNIB through a trusted Etailer, B&H. The pen is included in this particular SKU so...

I went with that and am in fact typing this message on it right now. Nice machine.

Sorry, Chuwi. You just didn't come through for me.

Sad it ended this way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3