Official Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 Discussion and Problem Solving Thread

Terry Bernstein

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
You only have to install the preview if you want the preview. Otherwise we wait for the release version to be.....released. The UK version isn't out yet, with no schedule. I guess the India version is in the same state.

DaHardhouse

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
My HTC 8S had WP 8.1 (8.10.12397.xxx) all summer via Preview for Developers. I came across an article from windowsitpro.com (WPCentral won't let me post links...windows-phone/even-htc-8s-included-latest-windows-phone-81-update) on Oct 30 and was very happy to find out that I could get Cortana (I'm in Canada) working after all.

I was only able to upgrade to 8.10.14192.280 after 2 hard resets. There was no way I could get the 622 Mb needed for the phone update, even after deleting everything.

The 1st hard reset didn't allow me to log in with my Microsoft account. After an hour of fiddling, I decided to do another hard reset. This time I was asked if I wanted to restore my backed up setting, to which I said yes. Cortana works, folders on start screen works...

Unfortunately, some essential Calendar app features no longer work:
- the live tile only shows a STATIC grid and the word "calendar",
- the lock screen doesn't show any of my appointments,
- the appointment reminder doesn't trigger any sound nor visual cue

Cortana accepts to take reminders, but doesn't act on them when the time comes.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Workarounds for live tile appointments & reminders are welcomed too!

Thanks in advance

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
My HTC 8S had WP 8.1 (8.10.12397.xxx) all summer via Preview for Developers. I came across an article from windowsitpro.com (WPCentral won't let me post links...windows-phone/even-htc-8s-included-latest-windows-phone-81-update) on Oct 30 and was very happy to find out that I could get Cortana (I'm in Canada) working after all.

I was only able to upgrade to 8.10.14192.280 after 2 hard resets. There was no way I could get the 622 Mb needed for the phone update, even after deleting everything.

The 1st hard reset didn't allow me to log in with my Microsoft account. After an hour of fiddling, I decided to do another hard reset. This time I was asked if I wanted to restore my backed up setting, to which I said yes. Cortana works, folders on start screen works...

Unfortunately, some essential Calendar app features no longer work:
- the live tile only shows a STATIC grid and the word "calendar",
- the lock screen doesn't show any of my appointments,
- the appointment reminder doesn't trigger any sound nor visual cue

Cortana accepts to take reminders, but doesn't act on them when the time comes.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Workarounds for live tile appointments & reminders are welcomed too!

Thanks in advance

The Live Tile of the default Calendar App only shows a static information of the next appointment, the day and date today, and the word "Calendar".

To show appointments in your lock screen, you have to go to Settings > lock screen > notifications and choose "Calendar" as the app that will show detailed status.

For Sounds and Visual Cues for Appointment reminders, make sure that Settings > ringtones+sounds > System alerts is checked, and that the appointments you make are set to remind you before hand.

I am running the latest version of the Windows Phone OS (8.10.14192.280) for Preview for Developers; I hope these help.

daemron

Banned
Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I have stumbled into a interesting problem with IE on Lumia 1320 P4D. It shows almost all sites wrong, and i think it's cause of false browser info. As browser is idenfied as:
Browser size
320 x 532
Screen size
487 x 866 (Retina). Any thoughts on this?

tjwpmp

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
My wife has had 8.1 Developer Preview on her Nokia since last Spring when it came out. The other day it automatically updated. Then tonight this message popped up. What is it telling us?
V__9293.jpg.

CharlieLima79

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a new Lumia 830 from the Microsoft Store in Canada. According to the phone, I have the Windows Phone 8.1 Update. When I go customize my Quick Actions, I noticed Mobile Data is missing as an option, even though I had that option when I was using my old Lumia 720 with Denim and the update. Does anyone know why and/or how I can restore Mobile Data as an option? Thanks in advance.

Michael Lambert2

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I finally got my 920 to update today after about a month of 0x80180388 error.
I relented and reset my phone using the Microsoft reset computer program.
It does work, but takes a long time as it goes back to Windows phone 8.0 and then you have to download subsequent updates in turn, it needed about 4 downloads to get up to date.
Backup your data first! When you first update it will need to verify your phone and will offer to send you a code via text message. DO NOT use the text message option - it sends you a message but there is no way to exit out of the setup process to read it. Instead choose the email option and get it sent to a separate device.
Some of my backups failed, but I think that was because it was trying to apply 8.1 backups to what was then an 8.0 phone.
So I now finally have cortana etc!

Michael Lambert2

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Ah, sorry - I couldn't remember the name so I guessed it. Turns out I didn't get a single bit correct...
It is actually "Windows phone recovery tool 1.0.6"
This worked for me, hope it helps.

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I am using Nokia Lumia 820 in India with region set to India from my first use, but not originally Indian variant(may be hongkong). Even my firmware revised number is showing Indian firmware variant.

Lumia Denim/ Gdr1 update has been released in India 2weeks ago and I still did not get the update.

Some are saying that because its non Indian variant I did not get the update but I got Cyan update on the release date of India itself. I am confused. Any body Please help me to update to Denim...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon