Visual Voicemail on Verizon - It's even removed from the W10M Preview?

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I know visual voicemail has been talked about in here before, but I'm extra annoyed about it today. How is Verizon able to do this? And how is it not even present on the W10M Preview, which is straight from MS and not through Verizon?

wp_ss_20151103_0001.pngvisualvoicemail.PNG

It's frustrating that although Windows has the option built right into the OS and it works fine on other carriers, if you want it on Verizon you have to pay $2.99 and use their own app which requires a separate tile and is outside of the phone app.

Have we ever received word from Verizon on why this is the case? (I'm going to post on their forum)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Forget Carriers.

Use YouMail on the web + ISeeVM on the phone. Portable VVM that works consistently from phone to phone and carrier to carrier. Free and easy.

I think you can even xfer it to a new number.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Go to know, I've got it set up now. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm still curious about Verizon's issue. I'll use YouMail and probably like it, but I still like the idea of VVM integrated into my phone app.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
VVM requires some backend component, if your phone is on Verizon, that component is not found, so Windows does not show the nonfunctional tab.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
There is a Visual Voicemail app for Verizon that can be downloaded from the store if you already have the feature. It's a separate icon but it does the trick.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is a Visual Voicemail app for Verizon that can be downloaded from the store if you already have the feature. It's a separate icon but it does the trick.

Seems the user is aware of the App and doesn't like the idea of paying for VVM and getting inferior integration. User reviews of the App are all one star.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...sual-voice-mail%2F9wzdncrd91kh&token=hMvSC0zm

It's frustrating that although Windows has the option built right into the OS and it works fine on other carriers, if you want it on Verizon you have to pay $2.99 and use their own app which requires a separate tile and is outside of the phone app.

I'm curious, dakrani, how you like YouMail + ISeeVM thus far?

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, it made more sense than telling him to run out and buy a 735. I imagine most people here are Icon or M8 holdouts. (Like me.... LOL)

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Verizon are sharks, they are the most expensive by far and nickel n' dime you to death on things that should be included. Unless its a coverage issue the problem is easily fixed with another carrier.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon are sharks, they are the most expensive by far and nickel n' dime you to death on things that should be included. Unless its a coverage issue the problem is easily fixed with another carrier.

It *IS* included on newer VoLTE phones. The problem is that the Icon and M8 are not, and most users who bother hanging around a fan forum aren't going to go after cheap or mid-range devices. They're going after the biggest processor/space/RAM they can find. I'm not saying that's bad. I'm just saying it's a tradeoff in this case. Honestly, I'm holding out on one of the 3rd party manufacturers coming up with something shiny and new.

I *really* love my Icon, but I may ditch it for a 735 myself as it is starting to fall apart at the seams (About as literally as I can mean it. The screen may be tough but the outer casing is not.). While it's a downgrade in processing power, I do want to be able to use the newer voice features. I know a few of the other manufacturers were looking to make Win 10 phones, and I'm just holding out in case one shows up.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I talked with Microsoft tech support about this for my 950xl. They told me it is not built into the OS. I didn't believe it when ATT told me the same thing. It is another example of slowly taking away stuff, out they just didn't think to add it for the initial release.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Interesting since it works just fine on my AT&T M8 on the latest build of W10. I would hazard a guess that initial setup of a correctly provisioned SIM works once you do the first vm dial in.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious, dakrani, how you like YouMail + ISeeVM thus far?
It's okay. It's certainly full-featured enough, but it's kind of overkill for me and a little more hands-on than I wanted. And it's still not integrated into the Phone App, which is what I primarily wanted. It requires a separate tile (which is quite ugly, BTW). I appreciate that it's free and available on my Surface as well, but I think I'm going to cancel it as I don't like re-routing my number through another service, for whatever reason.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, it made more sense than telling him to run out and buy a 735. I imagine most people here are Icon or M8 holdouts. (Like me.... LOL)
The 735 has VVM built into the Phone App and free? I had the $2.99 service and separate app from Verizon for a bit for my 928, but I cancelled it. I like the looks of the 735, but the fact that it's missing the camera button and Glance is a no-go for me. I use those two features too often to let them go.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I talked with Microsoft tech support about this for my 950xl. They told me it is not built into the OS. I didn't believe it when ATT told me the same thing. It is another example of slowly taking away stuff, out they just didn't think to add it for the initial release.
The image above shows it as part of the Phone App. Is that not really the case? Does your 950XL Phone App look like the screenshot on the left? Did you buy the ATT 950XL or an unlocked one?

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The 735 has VVM built into the Phone App and free? I had the $2.99 service and separate app from Verizon for a bit for my 928, but I cancelled it. I like the looks of the 735, but the fact that it's missing the camera button and Glance is a no-go for me. I use those two features too often to let them go.

Yeah, that's a tough one. I know the Lancet that LG makes has some gesture controls, but it's also smaller, so I'm not sure it would work out either. (Let's just say I've sold that one on the basis of it being small to concerned parents.) I ended up getting the 735 because my icon had a bit of an accident. So far I'm happy with it.

The only issue I've found with the voicemail is there's no way to reinstall it (that I can find) without wiping the phone. I've never tried to find a hidden app in the store before, so I will do some more research.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a 735 with VoLTE enabled on it but not sure how to use visual voicemail? What I have noticed is that I no longer get an indication that I have voice mail pending and instead seem to receive a text message (illegible garbly gook). Am I missing something here? How am I able to use/leverage this "free" visual voicemail on my 735??

pcwilliams

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a 735 with VoLTE enabled on it but not sure how to use visual voicemail? What I have noticed is that I no longer get an indication that I have voice mail pending and instead seem to receive a text message (illegible garbly gook). Am I missing something here? How am I able to use/leverage this "free" visual voicemail on my 735??

I do not see here if this issue was resolved. I have the same problem...735 on w10 fast ring, no voice mail indicator in the ph app, and i also receive a garbage txt anytime i get a voicemail.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes