Will HoloLens be the catalyst to bridge the app gap?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it will necessarily help to bridge the app gap, but it will be great to see what devs or just ordinary users can use it for. Especially when thinking about painters or architects or engineers.. It could potentially help authorities to recreate or create certain situations, so they can better understand them. The applications for this tech could be great, but for that, we need people that will actually embrace it.

Think about learning to shoot without a gun, public speaking, teaching a child how to cross the street :p small things, but still

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
That product is so outside the box of what everyone was expecting Microsoft to be demoing that it was either oversold and not truly credible or its a paradigm-shifting product that will make the only apps that matter be the ones that work with HoloLens.

It's certainly no coincidence that Microsoft revealed this just when Apple has been shopping their watch device around to third parties for app development. You don't have to purchase one anymore. Instead, HoloLens can project a simulated Apple iWatch on your arm and allow you to interact with it in a very personal, natural way.

All I know is I want one of those now. There is a good chance that this will be a watershed moment in computing. I don't want to miss out.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
No

And what will be likely is that in three years Apple will stick some blonde hair on it and that will sell like crazy.

Of course. Apple will invent this totally new technology. We know they already distort reality around their products in the marketing so they're already experts and have this all planned.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That product is so outside the box of what everyone was expecting Microsoft to be demoing that it was either oversold and not truly credible or its a paradigm-shifting product that will make the only apps that matter be the ones that work with HoloLens.

It's certainly no coincidence that Microsoft revealed this just when Apple has been shopping their watch device around to third parties for app development. You don't have to purchase one anymore. Instead, HoloLens can project a simulated Apple iWatch on your arm and allow you to interact with it in a very personal, natural way.

All I know is I want one of those now. There is a good chance that this will be a watershed moment in computing. I don't want to miss out.

The review on Wired indicates its as amazing as they said. Guy said when he stepped on Mars his legs went all wobbly because he couldn't believe what he was doing it was so real.

I really want to play now!

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, this is what I was thinking, it would close the app gap because phone apps wouldn't matter anymore. And it would bring devs into the MS ecosystem in a massive way.

I am looking at my Lumia Icon now and all I can think is ZuneHD, as if phones are some outdated tech now that companies are no longer interested in lol.

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
i don't know... i think it's not a serious project... just something to keep people talking about MS, would be happy to se it live though :)

Vildmand

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I deeply hope so! The idea is great and it looks like it really works great. But the implementation to real life usage may be the biggest challenge, I think. People should want to wear the glasses/helmet. The experience has to matter to people and be better (not just different) than the traditional ways of working with technology. I guess it all depends on developers as usual.
I would definitely wear the HoleLens at home.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, the Build Conference for Developers sold out in just under 30 minutes today, and wait times for page loads for people trying to register and pay their $2095 per person fee were quite long. Sometimes waiting 5 minutes for page loads, because EVERYONE was trying to register.

Apparently, something Microsoft did yesterday really lit a fire under a LOT of developers. It may be HoloLens, it may be Windows 10, I think a combination of everything has excited the developer community. It makes ME want to come out of retirement and start developing again, and I've been retired for 5 years already! (Yeah, I retired young. I'm only 50.)

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Bridge the App gap? No.
Make MS cool again? I would say Yes

More developers interested in the platform can only be positive news.

G.

ks_yeoh

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft and NASA is working together. So, it has to be serious right? I'm curious as to what Dr Neil deGrasse thinks of HoloLens. As for the app gap. All it takes is for a few high profile developers to develop new or re-invent the way user can interact with their apps or games like Minecraft. Bridging the app gap is just like playing catch up. Microsoft needs to leap forward.