Cortana for Hololens

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
One thing the videos should have done is show Cortana for Hololens. I think Hololens should have a 3D Cortana like in Halo that interacts with you like it does on windows 10. She could remind you things, you can tell her to send an email or look up something. It would totally be a Siri killer if they develop this. I imagine it would be possible to develop a 3D GUI for Cortana and have it run the same back end as the desktop. This would be an awesome way to advertise for the hololens and MS in general.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I thought I saw an image of this somewhere in the last couple hours. Problem is, I've been to so many sites, I can't remember...

G.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
ms can easily do it.
Cortana_by_silverbat.jpg

bringing her to life will literally make siri look like a nobody.
I think they just need to work with 343 industries to give her the animation and personality.
they have the upperhand for having a gaming studio.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
ms can easily do it.

bringing her to life will literally make siri look like a nobody.
I think they just need to work with 343 industries to give her the animation and personality.
they have the upperhand for having a gaming studio.

True, but MS have been closing studios in last couple years.

G.

EStrait39

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I was literally just thinking about this today! It seems like a no brainer with Hololens, and it would be so cool if they added the ability to have a conversation with Cortana... lol loner life I know!

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'll just repost what I put in another thread.
Personally, I'd rather have the option of creating my own Holo AI. Have the ability to chose the name, sex, voice, look and personality running on the Cortana engine.. But I'd take Cortana for now.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, thought you said you could change it's personality for a second. Nevermind.

Well I did say personality. But the voice and personality would just be small bits of code you could chose from.

Voice: Male, Female
Personality: Strict, sexy, indifferent, scholarly, etc...

I'm sure you've played RPGs that have had these types of options in their avatar builders.

DanielJoseph7

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Well I did say personality. But the voice and personality would just be small bits of code you could chose from.

Voice: Male, Female
Personality: Strict, sexy, indifferent, scholarly, etc...

I'm sure you've played RPGs that have had these types of options in their avatar builders.
Ya ok, sorry, didn't read that correctly at all lol, but I guess that would be easy and really cool

Rellik66

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
... Just for irony sake, Clippy should be a possible avatar for Cortana, but it really should be possible to have different Cortana avatars, say EDI from Mass Effect 2 or 3, Princess Leia, HAL 9000...I could go on. The only issue is voice personalities could be limited.

Add in Hey Cortana and I think this could be awesome. just say "Hey Cortana" and Cortana will pop up on the nearest flat surface. Ask a question and she pops up multiple type of results based on the inquiry, you can then grab what interests you and drag it wherever.

Ashles

May 6, 2015
Visit site
... Just for irony sake, Clippy should be a possible avatar for Cortana.
Oh god, I would probably use that just for the comedy value.
"It looks like you're trying to eat an apple. Would you like any help with that? It looks like youre sitting down. Would you like any help with that? It looks like you're trying to smash your Hololens. Would you like any hel-"

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft have missed the boat a little with this kind of thing. Having seen Age of Ultron over the weekend, they should be showing demos that look like the tech we've seen in those films. What we've seen instead are Fisher-Price looking toy UIs that are obviously a lot easier to make but not nearly as impressive. e.g. Imagine if that image of the globe in the stage demo was covered in cool looking tech overlays or even just realtime weather overlays, like you get with the Meteo weather app on Win8. Maybe stuff like that could be done through a theme-able 3rd party app, like Rainmeter does for desktops? How freakin' cool would that be!?!

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft have missed the boat a little with this kind of thing. Having seen Age of Ultron over the weekend, they should be showing demos that look like the tech we've seen in those films. What we've seen instead are Fisher-Price looking toy UIs that are obviously a lot easier to make but not nearly as impressive. e.g. Imagine if that image of the globe in the stage demo was covered in cool looking tech overlays or even just realtime weather overlays, like you get with the Meteo weather app on Win8. Maybe stuff like that could be done through a theme-able 3rd party app, like Rainmeter does for desktops? How freakin' cool would that be!?!

Cool, and also unrealistic. Microsoft is trying to simultaneously create a new form of technology AND have a market for it, and this is actually pretty unheard of.
GM made the first electric car but it was a market failure, and later on the Tesla Roadster came along and created demand for electric cars.
Microsoft had the first touchscreen tablet computer which was a colossal failure, to later on be followed by the iPad.
Heck, Xerox have the first graphical OS but the Macintosh sold (but gave way to Windows)

Microsoft has to clearly define it's capabilities and what it can be used for, otherwise it will be yet another expensive failed product that is later followed by another company *cough* Apple *cough* copying the idea and actually making money on it. If Microsoft used Age of Ultron, Minority Report, Ghost in the Shell, or whatever for marketing material; it would create unrealistic expectations as what the Hololens can do or who it is for. Once the Hololens actually shipped there would be mass disillusion and everyone would be so mad that it couldn't do what they dreamed it could do that people would forget what it was still actually useful for.

The Hololens is literally the future, but you still need to keep realistic expectations.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Tesla Roadster created too much demand for anything. In the two years it was on sale in Australia, I think they sold 4. EV-1 was never meant to be a success, it was simply GM's response to California's absurd effort to legislate the future into existence before the technology was ready. And for the record, in the early 1900's there were as many electric cars as petrol-powered ones, it's not anything new at all.

When did Microsoft have a touchscreen tablet computer before Surface? If you are talking about the original Surface, now called PixelSense, it was never a computer, simply a ginormous display that had to be connected to a PC. It was also 40 grand when they launched it. I don't think they ever expected too many people to buy it but we have one at work.

Microsoft have very clearly shown HoloLens's "capabilities and what it can be used for". It is a Windows 10 PC, capable of running any universal app without the need to specifically develop for the platform. If you don't know what Windows PCs are capable of by now, I don't think Microsoft's explaining it is going to help.

If Microsoft used Age of Ultron, Minority Report, Ghost in the Shell, or whatever for marketing material; it would create unrealistic expectations as what the Hololens can do or who it is for.
Why? HoloLens is more than capable of doing all of those kinds of things, without fancy glass screens or stupid gloves. If anything, using those films as examples would be underselling HoloLens. In fact, those films show just where HoloLens is really such a compelling device. Where they imagined we'd still need to define parameters to make it all work - glass screens and gloves to track finger/hand movement, HoloLens has shown us that it can dispense with all of that because it can "see" the environment and literally interact with it.

Humans are curious monkeys and I reckon that will be key to HoloLens's success. Imagine the first time you see someone using one in the wild, maybe sitting on the train or bus on the way to work. It won't be like the first time you saw an iPad and you could discreetly peer over the user's shoulder to see what he was doing. With HoloLens you'll have someone who can see stuff that nobody else can. It will be so frustrating for everyone else that a lot of people will just HAVE to have one of their own so they can see what's going on. Until they have competition it will drive sales, no matter the price.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Again, there's a big difference. Hololens is still not powerful enough to do everything you're dreaming of. And I never said the Windows tablets were made by Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss