changing automatic windows update to manual in windows 10 pc

Sudhegan Shyam

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
As Microsoft announced windows 10 pc will get automatically updated through windows update, This would be a draw back as it would just finish all our data balance.

so some found a way to stop the automatic updates through stopping windows update by stopping it's windows update service in services settings. But this would just stop getting the update entirely and doesn't notifies when an update is available.

More than that it is some what hard to get the automatic update back. so just imagine if Microsoft gives us the option to make it manual as in the previous OSes (windows 7, 8, 8.1) like notify to download the update it will be helpful to save the data charges.

so here come the option in the local group policy editor .

open Cortana and type edit group policy and select it.

Then navigate to computer configuration --> administrative tools --> windows components --> windows updates. And select configure automatic updates here are the options to set windows update manually. set it as you desire accordingly.

Attachments

• Screenshot (32).png
    Screenshot (32).png
    102.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot (36).png
    Screenshot (36).png
    116.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot (34).png
    Screenshot (34).png
    124.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the writeup, this is how I set it up personally actually.

Also worth noting that you can mark certain wireless connections as metered in settings.
This can have the benefit of letting others go first update-wise in case of a bad update.

I've also edited your post so its more readable and less "wall-of-text"-y.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried with this also but it says

Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc' . Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Might not be available in Win 10 Home

Home versions have never included Group Policy Editor. This is a Pro version feature. I found a workaround here: https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpedit-windows-10-home/

Problem is, even if I edit the group policy on my Home version I still don't get the end result.

gp edit.pngUpdates Advanced.png

Sudhegan Shyam

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
sry for the late
it is only for the enterprise editions as it was controlled by a domain in a organisation
it won't be in home,student ,pro,etc...... editions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo