How will Windows 9 upgrades work for RT tablets?

robitaille93

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So currently I have a Lenovo desktop and a Surface RT. I was planning to purchase a full non-RT Windows 8 tablet that's currently on sale and give away my Surface RT to a family member. I was wondering if it might become a Windows Phone 7 -> 8 situation where Windows 8 tablets are screwed over and have no upgrade path (whether it be not officially supporting it, or minimum requirements not being met)? Also, would I have to pay for the Windows 9 upgrade cost twice over (one for tablet and for laptop)?

I would wait for the official announcement but the sale on the model I want is ending in a day or so. Just don't want to purchase a new tablet and have it immediately outdated without a proper upgrade path.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Could such a break happen? Its not outside the realm of impossibility.
Will it happen? Pfft probably not. Especially considering the nature of normal and RT Windows.

My only concern would be manufacturers like HP not bothering doing updated drivers/made drivers that don't play well with 9

We'll be fine.
And we have no idea about 9 pricing, it was rumored to be free.

robitaille93

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Could such a break happen? Its not outside the realm of impossibility.
Will it happen? Pfft probably not. Especially considering the nature of normal and RT Windows.

My only concern would be manufacturers like HP not bothering doing updated drivers/made drivers that don't play well with 9

We'll be fine.
And we have no idea about 9 pricing, it was rumored to be free.
So I should be fine if I pick up a Windows 8 tablet? The model is specifically the Lenovo Miix 2 8".

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I should be fine if I pick up a Windows 8 tablet? The model is specifically the Lenovo Miix 2 8".

yea, save for RT, which has no precedent, any current full Windows 8 tablet will without a doubt be upgradeable. It's just a matter of how well it'll work. (not a problem probably) Since its a full PC, you can upgrade as you want, heck, I've seen I think a version of Fedora thrown into the Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes