Hyper-V display resolution issues

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi! I have installed Windows 10 Technical preview on a Hyper-V VM (1st Gen.) on a Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre host on my laptop (with a widescreen 1366x768 monitor). The guest OS runs fine, but the problem is that I am unable to select a widescreen resolution for the guest. The resolutions available are all 4:3 resolutions and the closest I could get to fullscreen is 1024x768 which displays annoying black bars on the left and right of the guest display on my monitor. How can I get the guest (Windows 10) to recognise my native resolution? Thanks in advance.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I have installed Windows 10 Technical preview on a Hyper-V VM (1st Gen.) on a Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre host on my laptop (with a widescreen 1366x768 monitor). The guest OS runs fine, but the problem is that I am unable to select a widescreen resolution for the guest. The resolutions available are all 4:3 resolutions and the closest I could get to fullscreen is 1024x768 which displays annoying black bars on the left and right of the guest display on my monitor. How can I get the guest (Windows 10) to recognise my native resolution? Thanks in advance.

Install it in a Gen 2 VM. You get a bunch of other enhancements as well. Also make sure that you install the integration components.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Procedure, please...

Launch Hyper-V Manager
Start (don't connect) your VM
Close Hyper-V Manager
Launch Remote Desktop Connections
Expand window to reveal options
Select Display Tab
Under Display configuration, drag slider all the way to the right (option for Full Screen)
If you have multiple monitors, place a check in the "Use all my monitors for the remote session" checkbox
Go back to the General Tab
Type in the computer name or ip address of your VM and supply the username
Hit Connect and provide the password

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Launch Hyper-V Manager
Start (don't connect) your VM
Close Hyper-V Manager
Launch Remote Desktop Connections
Expand window to reveal options
Select Display Tab
Under Display configuration, drag slider all the way to the right (option for Full Screen)
If you have multiple monitors, place a check in the "Use all my monitors for the remote session" checkbox
Go back to the General Tab
Type in the computer name or ip address of your VM and supply the username
Hit Connect and provide the password

Installing in a gen 2 VM does this automatically.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
But would have had required he re-built the VM. Besides, remoting into the VM allows for easier sharing of resources between the host and the VM.

Not really, all it would have needed was setting up a gen 2 VM with the existing VHDX file.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Not really, all it would have needed was setting up a gen 2 VM with the existing VHDX file.

Which is still more work than using the existing VM. I don't really get what point you're trying to make. The TC was provided a solution that was simple and worked for him. What purpose are you trying to serve?

Edit: Also, everything I've read suggests that the gen 1 VM would have to be converted to gen 2 using a conversion tool or 3rd party software. Most likely due to gen 1 using BIOS and gen 2 using UEFI. Can you show me where it is stated your method above would work?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Last edited:

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
FYI using the RDP client isn't the correct answer. There are ways and benefits to run the hyperv thru the hyperv client.

We have tons of users that complain about session lag, disconnecting 1 of 20 pop ups. When connecting through RDP to their hyperv.

Resources are a lot more efficient through the hyperv client

ne0hisda0ne

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Hate to be the A-Hole that mentions this, but if Gen2 only support 64-Bit. SO if the OP in question already had an OS that was installed as a 32-Bit. Converting to Gen2 that has been stated would only cause them a hell of a headache vs just switching to RDP. Oh and also they'd have to covert their VHD to a VHDX, not that much of a pain, but still.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes