Forgive my ignorance here but my start screen in Windows Technical preview is still exactly the same as it was on 8.1. I'm using a Surface Pro 3 in case that matters.

Here's how it is:
    screenshot-1-.jpg

and here's what I was expecting:

windows10continuum.jpg

Is mine not like that due to a setting on my PC or is it because we're using an alpha release which doesn't have it present yet?

Thanks,
    Iain.
    10-23-2014 04:10 PM
    Excuse my ignorance but why do you expect the start screen to look like that? As far as I know there is not a new start screen but what is new is the start menu. What I see in my installation is the start menu. I performed a clean install.
    10-23-2014 05:11 PM
    Microsoft hasn't released the build with the 'Continuum' features yet. The build will enable that start screen for you.
    sumton likes this.
    10-25-2014 09:03 AM
    Microsoft hasn't released the build with the 'Continuum' features yet. The build will enable that start screen for you.
    That's not even remotely what continuum is about.
    10-25-2014 02:30 PM
    The new start menu is for mouse devices. To my knowledge at least, I haven't been too focused on the matter though.
    10-25-2014 02:35 PM
    Plug in a mouse and a Keyboard see if that forces out the Desktop start menu. BTW Windows 10 is horrid on SP3, many said so before (I think consumer preview will fix that), you should've waited a bit. oh well all the best
    10-26-2014 09:51 PM
    Plug in a mouse and a Keyboard see if that forces out the Desktop start menu. BTW Windows 10 is horrid on SP3, many said so before (I think consumer preview will fix that), you should've waited a bit. oh well all the best
    It's so horrible that I'm using it without issue.

His complaint likely won't get fixed in the consumer preview. To my knowledge, they're not combining the start menu and start screen in the way he seems to think they will.
    dharvey24 likes this.
    10-27-2014 07:42 AM
    Its all still very much in development, be patient it will come. Works great on my original surface pro. The start menu is where you'll see the majority of change. Make sure you're on build 9860. That's the latest version.
    10-27-2014 05:43 PM
    If you're seeing the Win 8 start screen instead of the new start menu, then go to your desktop app, right click on the taskbar, select Properties, and a box will open with a tab marked Start Menu. Click that tab and the topmost check box will enable the new start menu. It'll ask you to log out after you apply. Do it. Log back in and you'll be taken straight to your desktop. Click the start button and enjoy!

PS-I don't own an SP3, but im guessing the OS is smart enough right now to tell the difference between a tablet and keyboard/mouse setup. Don't know for sure, never bothered to ask, and I've only seen the clean install on my DVP8.
    10-31-2014 03:40 PM