I Have windows 8.1 Licensed . If I Upgrade to Windows 10 Technical Preview through windows update .Will I be able to Upgrade this windows 10 Technical preview to Original Windows 10 (Licensed) when it is available??
    01-25-2015 11:06 PM
    In the past, upgrades from beta/rc/rtm/preview were not upgradeable to a new official release. One had to reinstall the last official version and then upgrade from it to the newest official version.

I would be surprised if Microsoft changed that policy.
    In the past, upgrades from beta/rc/rtm/preview were not upgradeable to a new official release. One had to reinstall the last official version and then upgrade from it to the newest official version.

I would be surprised if Microsoft changed that policy.
    01-25-2015 11:22 PM
    According to paulheu in this thread, post #10, "An announcement was made that the Insider program members will be able to upgrade to the final release at no cost." I only recently signed up as an insider, so I don't know exactly what announcement he's talking about, but if I run across it, I will post here again. Also, that technically doesn't say anything about upgrading straight from TP to final release, only cost, but it sounds to me like it should be easy enough. Maybe ask him if he can give you the source of his claim.

My main recommendation is to create a recovery drive to be able to downgrade back to W8 in case you do need to in order to upgrade. And really, you should be doing that before installing the TP anyways.
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    01-25-2015 11:41 PM
    "insider members will be able to upgrade the final version at no cost..."
    It just suddenly clicked as to why 170,000 more people signed up to the preview lol
    aximtreo likes this.
    01-25-2015 11:50 PM
    Short answer, yes.
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-25-2015 11:59 PM
    Unable to install TP. Says it doesn't support compressed OS. Confused. The drive isn't compressed.
    01-26-2015 12:57 AM
    Unable to install TP. Says it doesn't support compressed OS. Confused. The drive isn't compressed.
    You're in the wrong thread, but it sounds like you're installing it on a tablet? A compressed OS doesn't mean the drive is compressed. You can't compress a whole drive like that. There is a thread here with your exact issue if you look around. Idk if they found a solution yet or not.
    xandros9 and aximtreo like this.
    01-26-2015 01:02 AM
    You're in the wrong thread, but it sounds like you're installing it on a tablet? A compressed OS doesn't mean the drive is compressed. You can't compress a whole drive like that. There is a thread here with your exact issue if you look around. Idk if they found a solution yet or not.
    What this guy said.
    but i just want to say the TP is not supported on your device. (its stated on the website)
    Your OS is compressed to take less space.
    01-26-2015 08:10 AM
    Should be able to do a fresh install.
    01-26-2015 08:19 PM
    I have a question. Did anyone find any programs that don't work on Windows 10?
    01-26-2015 08:40 PM
    All of mine seem to so far. Except for antivirus, so I am just using the built in one with Malwarebytes.
    01-27-2015 04:01 AM
    Ok, have another question. When you guys installed the preview, did you reinstall everything or were you able to use file history backup to get your files back running? Thanks for any help
    01-27-2015 10:04 PM
    Should be able to do a fresh install.
    Nope. I found this, first "important note." Keep in mind that it's a good idea to read at least some documentation when you're trying to run a beta OS, lol.

I have a question. Did anyone find any programs that don't work on Windows 10?
    I'll bet you can find one if you try. Haha
    01-27-2015 10:06 PM