Question Related to Upgrading to Windows 10 Technical Preview??

Himanshu Teli

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I Have windows 8.1 Licensed . If I Upgrade to Windows 10 Technical Preview through windows update .Will I be able to Upgrade this windows 10 Technical preview to Original Windows 10 (Licensed) when it is available??

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In the past, upgrades from beta/rc/rtm/preview were not upgradeable to a new official release. One had to reinstall the last official version and then upgrade from it to the newest official version.

I would be surprised if Microsoft changed that policy.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
According to paulheu in this thread, post #10, "An announcement was made that the Insider program members will be able to upgrade to the final release at no cost." I only recently signed up as an insider, so I don't know exactly what announcement he's talking about, but if I run across it, I will post here again. Also, that technically doesn't say anything about upgrading straight from TP to final release, only cost, but it sounds to me like it should be easy enough. Maybe ask him if he can give you the source of his claim.

My main recommendation is to create a recovery drive to be able to downgrade back to W8 in case you do need to in order to upgrade. And really, you should be doing that before installing the TP anyways.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Unable to install TP. Says it doesn't support compressed OS. Confused. The drive isn't compressed.

You're in the wrong thread, but it sounds like you're installing it on a tablet? A compressed OS doesn't mean the drive is compressed. You can't compress a whole drive like that. There is a thread here with your exact issue if you look around. Idk if they found a solution yet or not.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You're in the wrong thread, but it sounds like you're installing it on a tablet? A compressed OS doesn't mean the drive is compressed. You can't compress a whole drive like that. There is a thread here with your exact issue if you look around. Idk if they found a solution yet or not.

What this guy said.
but i just want to say the TP is not supported on your device. (its stated on the website)
Your OS is compressed to take less space.

Ben Hanchett

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, have another question. When you guys installed the preview, did you reinstall everything or were you able to use file history backup to get your files back running? Thanks for any help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss