Not getting preview builds

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I did a fresh install of W10 on my SP3 because of issues. Decided to enable the preview builds this time (did it before, but got tired, and turned off preview builds for quite awhile while I went back to W8.1). Now for some reason my PC won't download any preview builds, what-so-ever.

So... I downloaded the 14295 ISO and did an upgrade. Went well, till I noticed that I never got anything via windows updates from then on.

Decided to do a fresh install of the 14295 build. Again, never got any updates (including windows defender definition files).

Went back to the public build (10586), updates work. Turned on the preview again (slow ring), rebooted. But after two days (leaving my SP3 on all the time) I still haven't gotten the preview build, nor anymore defender definition files.

I've run the troubleshooter's for Windows updates, no change.
I've done the wsreset.exe (for grins and giggles), nothing.

Suggestions?

P.S.
Enabling the previews works just fine on my phone.

P.P.S.
I may have accidently selected "Stop receiving Insider Preview Builds" (aka permanently), a long time ago.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the Fast Ring? Check to make sure you're still enrolled under settings/Windows update/ advanced options.

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guzzler3

I know this is a few days late but i've had the same issue too. I tried many fixes this week without success (net stop/start wuauserv, bits, deleting c:\windows\softwaredistribution).

However checking the registry I found a subfolder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability\ called "RecoveredFrom." in this folder i saw entries from when I was previously a fast ring insider (14295, 14316). I deleted the folder, rebooted, and tried another pull and got the update (14316 yesterday). Today i also pulled the 14328 update without any issue. Hopefully this helps.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Again I ran into issues after another rebuild (I have a bad habit of tweaking this) and deleting that registry folder new builds came in fast.

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Had this when I first tried to get it and had to call support and the lady logged into my system and made some changes and it has worked great ever since.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Arazius83

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I've navigated to the reg settings after a clean install and don't see the folder. Still not receiving any builds. Was receiving them fine up until 14342.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been receiving them just fine but for some reason my Surface Pro 3 is not seeing 14352 (it's currently on insider fast, build 14342).
So far tried pausing resuming preview builds, switching rings, and deleting the registry keys to have them rebuilt. Still not seeing the build
Verify the following registry entries:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability]
"EnablePreviewBuilds"=dword:00000002
"Ring"="WIF"
"RingId"=dword:0000000a
"RingBackup"="WIS"
"FlightingOwnerSID"=" (SID value that is unique to each person/computer) "
"IsRetailOS"=dword:00000000
"IsConfigExpFlightingEnabled"=dword:00000001
"IsConfigSettingsFlightingEnabled"=dword:00000001
"IsBuildFlightingEnabled"=dword:00000001
"UseSettingsExperience"=dword:00000001
"BranchName"="external"

I had issues again because I rolled back a build (experimenting and providing feedback). You shouldn't have deleted all the keys, it causes issues. Just deleting the subfolder under "Applicability" is all that you need to delete. But something I had found was that if "RIng" and "RingBackup" weren't set properly (Ring=WIF, RingBackup=WIS") nothing would download.

Verify the settings in the registry, then reboot, and try again to see of you get a new build.

P.S.
Remember the "FlightingOwnerSID" value is a unique value of the user SID (System Identifier) that has signed up for the Insider program.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Ah, I should have specified - yes I only deleted the applicability subfolder.
Looking at your values, it looks like the RingBackup is missing now (I know it was there before I deleted the applicability folder). I'll give this a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Update: The only value that was different (other than SID of course) was the missing RingBackup key. I added that in and rebooted and unfortunately I'm still not seeing anything. I guess I'll give it another couple of days to see if MS posts something, but I wish they would say something about users in this situation. I want to just reformat and try again but from a feedback perspective I don't think that answers the question as to what is causing the issue.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I reformatted my SP3 using the official Windows 10 production build. I re-enrolled into the Insider Program (fast ring) and the device still did not receive a new build. Finally had to use the ISO for build 14342 to upgrade. Now I am stuck (again) at 14342 and not receiving the new build.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Did you ever get "unstuck"? I'm running into the same problems as you but on build 14352
Yes, finally! I finally got 14352 on June 7th, apparently there was a distribution bug, nothing I did fixed it. I also didn't have any issues getting the last two PC builds so the reformat was probably unnecessary.

I just wish MS would acknowledge or at least communicate when they see distribution bugs so we don't go trying to troubleshoot on our end wasting time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2