How do I install an app from a prior 950 to 950XL that's no longer in the app store?

Ron Kern

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Shazzam and WizTiles have disappeared from the Microsoft Store, but I have them on my old phone. Is there a way to move the app from the old phone to the new phone without the store?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure, but I'd try looking into 'sideloading apps - windows phone'. When I was still doing that, I mostly used apps developed by devs with the intention of sideloading. Sideloading will most likely not work for the apps you mentioned, but give it a shot.

I think the store has a section under settings where the apps you owned/installed are listed. Did you check? (on the new phone)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Shazzam and WizTiles have disappeared from the Microsoft Store, but I have them on my old phone. Is there a way to move the app from the old phone to the new phone without the store?

Wasn't Shazzam bundled in the firmware of the 950/XL? It is, I found the appx in a 950 XL firmware... you can try to sideload it by copying it to your phone and enabling developer mode to install it directly. Most of the appx files from old that you might want can be found in an XDA thread. Let me know if you need the link.

WizTiles was probably an app not preloaded and so if it is no longer supported and not even found in your library that means the developer completely pulled it out and you are unlikely to be able to install it again.

Apps like mTalk that are no longer supported we are able to restore them from our library or a complete backup after a hard reset only because they are still available in the store even if unsupported.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately not. And unlike WP8.1, where you could sideload apps using the APPX file, you can't do that on W10M either. Sadly then, that means that when it's gone (from the store), it's gone.

Side loading apps is a snap on W10M compared to WP8. What makes you think you cannot side load appx files on W10M?