Will windows 10 for phones get WiFi direct support ?? WP needs this feature.
    01-25-2015 07:50 AM
    WP already has this feature. It's awesome on my Lumia 1520, but even the low end Lumia 630 has this feature. As long as the phone has the necessary hardware, Windows Phones have been capable of using Miracast (Wifi-Direct) since Cyan update.
    01-25-2015 09:28 PM
    So is there any chance of having apps like Xander or Superbeam on WP ?
    02-06-2015 10:27 PM
    WP has WiFi direct, but it is very limited as everything what MS doing for phones.
    You can transfer big files between WP Tablet and WP phone and it will utilize WiFi direct, but as developer you have no control over it. That's why you should not expect anything like mentioned apps in WP in near future.

Microsoft is doing everything to kill its own mobile OS :(
    02-15-2015 07:06 PM
    We have no idea, but if you vote on the uservoice, you could change that.
    vish2801, Susmit257 and FinancialP like this.
    02-15-2015 07:14 PM
    WP has WiFi direct, but it is very limited as everything what MS doing for phones.
    You can transfer big files between WP Tablet and WP phone and it will utilize WiFi direct, but as developer you have no control over it. That's why you should not expect anything like mentioned apps in WP in near future.

Microsoft is doing everything to kill its own mobile OS :(
    Lol yes, because I know the average consumer is crying in their pillows because they can't buy a Windows Phone because it doesn't have "full" Wifi-direct.
    FinancialP and borhan48 like this.
    02-15-2015 07:15 PM
    If Microsoft is only think about average consumer, do not you think that they must change something? 2% of marketshare is this what they only want? 8-)
    If yes, then okay. This will be OS for cheap phones and will be always 2%.

I have no idea how much time it must take for MS to understand that ALL what they did is mistake after mistake! WP10 will never change anything. It will be still low percentage and no one will consider WP as a next phone because of that. Developers leaving platform as there is no marketshare. Microsoft does not help developers at all.

I am developer, I know what I am talking about.
    02-15-2015 07:45 PM

I have no idea how much time it must take for MS to understand that ALL what they did is mistake after mistake! WP10 will never change anything. It will be still low percentage and no one will consider WP as a next phone because of that. Developers leaving platform as there is no marketshare. Microsoft does not help developers at all.

What does any of this have to do with WiFi direct?
    02-15-2015 07:55 PM
    WiFi direct is just an example of what is going on with WP :)
    borhan48 likes this.
    02-15-2015 08:01 PM
    WiFi direct is just an example of what is going on with WP :)
    So what you're saying is that what you're saying is off topic then? Ok.
    02-15-2015 08:17 PM
    My first answer was exacty about the topic :)
    02-16-2015 04:23 AM
    My first answer was exacty about the topic :)
    So you want an open windows 10 where 3rd party's can access all kind of settings like in android?
    02-16-2015 04:36 AM
    Why are you so sadistic? Think on the positive note, by not giving full developer control, Windows is maintaining it's security and status.If they give all control of phone OS to you guyz, you'd be happy no doubt, but not true windows phone customers like me. As if there are no quality apps on windows now huh? Unlocking developer control would only bring more malware apps and crapped android-like battery draining, resource sapping, phone bricking apps which the user would have no control over. No thank you developer, I don't need such an app even if it has whatever functionality boost.
    Last edited by Godson Arun Kumar; 02-16-2015 at 05:07 AM.
    Avi Anand and v535 like this.
    02-16-2015 04:55 AM
    If Microsoft is only think about average consumer, do not you think that they must change something? 2% of marketshare is this what they only want? 8-)
    If yes, then okay. This will be OS for cheap phones and will be always 2%.

Yes, you are right,
    Microsoft have many limitation even after windows 10 update. Previously I hope coming windows 10 cut here some limitations and security. But Microsoft only change UI in windows 10 preview for phone.
    02-16-2015 05:25 AM
    iOS is known for its limitations and closeness. It doesn't even allow user to access personal files like WP does but still, it does have Xender

https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/xend...pUvbUpU2991136

How in the world is that even possible ??
    svaethier likes this.
    02-16-2015 12:23 PM
    WP already has this feature. It's awesome on my Lumia 1520, but even the low end Lumia 630 has this feature. As long as the phone has the necessary hardware, Windows Phones have been capable of using Miracast (Wifi-Direct) since Cyan update.
    Can you tell me where is WIFI direct on Lumia 1020?
    02-17-2015 05:56 AM
    Wi-Fi direct is not available in Windows phone 8.1. You need to manually connect both devices to same wifi to transfer something between those.
    Thats why apps like ShareIt is not so helpful to transfer files. Average smartphone users will not be able to figure out how to make that app work. SHAREit is highly popular for transferring music, videos & other large files easily and its surely a drawback for windows phone.
    03-19-2015 08:06 AM
    Wi-Fi direct is not available in Windows phone 8.1. You need to manually connect both devices to same wifi to transfer something between those.
    Thats why apps like ShareIt is not so helpful to transfer files. Average smartphone users will not be able to figure out how to make that app work. SHAREit is highly popular for transferring music, videos & other large files easily and its surely a drawback for windows phone.
    I guess you missed below article i hope you like them

So check this
    WiFi Direct On Windows Phone - LumiaMine
    And this
    SHAREit version 1.4 lets you share files over Windows Phone hotspots | Windows Central
    [
    Last edited by Harrie-S; 03-19-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    03-19-2015 11:08 AM
    Can you tell me where is WIFI direct on Lumia 1020?
    It is not yet supported. What he's talking about still require sending over an existing shared network. Not broadcasting a unique signal from the phone itself.
    03-19-2015 11:39 AM
    It is not yet supported. What he's talking about still require sending over an existing shared network. Not broadcasting a unique signal from the phone itself.
    Did you read the articles in my post?
    I guess not.
    If you enable internet sharing you can create a hotspot. = broadcast a unique signal from the phone itself. And you can share files between phones without the need to be connected over an existing shared network.
    03-19-2015 12:08 PM
    How does Shareit work if windows phone doesn't have WiFi direct?. I successfully share files through shareit on my Lumia 625
    Harrie-S likes this.
    03-19-2015 12:11 PM
    I guess this might open the gates for apps like Xender & Superbeam.

Microsoft massively expands WIFI Direct on Windows 10 - WMPoweruser
    03-20-2015 09:57 PM
    How does Shareit work if windows phone doesn't have WiFi direct?. I successfully share files through shareit on my Lumia 625
    Maybe starting a local server is the trick instead of wifi direct
    09-20-2016 03:00 AM