Wi-Fi Direct support in Windows 10 for Phones ?

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
WP already has this feature. It's awesome on my Lumia 1520, but even the low end Lumia 630 has this feature. As long as the phone has the necessary hardware, Windows Phones have been capable of using Miracast (Wifi-Direct) since Cyan update.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
WP has WiFi direct, but it is very limited as everything what MS doing for phones.
You can transfer big files between WP Tablet and WP phone and it will utilize WiFi direct, but as developer you have no control over it. That's why you should not expect anything like mentioned apps in WP in near future.

Microsoft is doing everything to kill its own mobile OS :(

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
WP has WiFi direct, but it is very limited as everything what MS doing for phones.
You can transfer big files between WP Tablet and WP phone and it will utilize WiFi direct, but as developer you have no control over it. That's why you should not expect anything like mentioned apps in WP in near future.

Microsoft is doing everything to kill its own mobile OS :(

Lol yes, because I know the average consumer is crying in their pillows because they can't buy a Windows Phone because it doesn't have "full" Wifi-direct.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft is only think about average consumer, do not you think that they must change something? 2% of marketshare is this what they only want? :cool:
If yes, then okay. This will be OS for cheap phones and will be always 2%.

I have no idea how much time it must take for MS to understand that ALL what they did is mistake after mistake! WP10 will never change anything. It will be still low percentage and no one will consider WP as a next phone because of that. Developers leaving platform as there is no marketshare. Microsoft does not help developers at all.

I am developer, I know what I am talking about.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea how much time it must take for MS to understand that ALL what they did is mistake after mistake! WP10 will never change anything. It will be still low percentage and no one will consider WP as a next phone because of that. Developers leaving platform as there is no marketshare. Microsoft does not help developers at all.

What does any of this have to do with WiFi direct?

Godson Arun Kumar

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Why are you so sadistic? Think on the positive note, by not giving full developer control, Windows is maintaining it's security and status.If they give all control of phone OS to you guyz, you'd be happy no doubt, but not true windows phone customers like me. As if there are no quality apps on windows now huh? Unlocking developer control would only bring more malware apps and crapped android-like battery draining, resource sapping, phone bricking apps which the user would have no control over. No thank you developer, I don't need such an app even if it has whatever functionality boost.

Last edited:

ajaya p

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
If Microsoft is only think about average consumer, do not you think that they must change something? 2% of marketshare is this what they only want? :cool:
If yes, then okay. This will be OS for cheap phones and will be always 2%.

Yes, you are right,
Microsoft have many limitation even after windows 10 update. Previously I hope coming windows 10 cut here some limitations and security. But Microsoft only change UI in windows 10 preview for phone.

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
WP already has this feature. It's awesome on my Lumia 1520, but even the low end Lumia 630 has this feature. As long as the phone has the necessary hardware, Windows Phones have been capable of using Miracast (Wifi-Direct) since Cyan update.

Can you tell me where is WIFI direct on Lumia 1020?

borhan48

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Wi-Fi direct is not available in Windows phone 8.1. You need to manually connect both devices to same wifi to transfer something between those.
Thats why apps like ShareIt is not so helpful to transfer files. Average smartphone users will not be able to figure out how to make that app work. SHAREit is highly popular for transferring music, videos & other large files easily and its surely a drawback for windows phone.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Wi-Fi direct is not available in Windows phone 8.1. You need to manually connect both devices to same wifi to transfer something between those.
Thats why apps like ShareIt is not so helpful to transfer files. Average smartphone users will not be able to figure out how to make that app work. SHAREit is highly popular for transferring music, videos & other large files easily and its surely a drawback for windows phone.

I guess you missed below article i hope you like them

So check this
WiFi Direct On Windows Phone - LumiaMine
And this
SHAREit version 1.4 lets you share files over Windows Phone hotspots | Windows Central
[

Last edited:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
It is not yet supported. What he's talking about still require sending over an existing shared network. Not broadcasting a unique signal from the phone itself.

Did you read the articles in my post?
I guess not.
If you enable internet sharing you can create a hotspot. = broadcast a unique signal from the phone itself. And you can share files between phones without the need to be connected over an existing shared network.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism