02-04-2015 02:15 AM
34 12
tools
    I'm worried that it will be an early version of the OS and full of bugs and possibly brick my phone, according to the Windows 10 prerelease warnings in the Insider Program. Do you think it will be stable enough for daily use?
    02-02-2015 03:48 AM
    Well the previews for Wp8 worked for me mostly....I am hoping W10 TP will follow suit.
    There's a difference between Developer Preview and Technical Preview.

With a TP you're dealing with beta software. With the DP you were dealing with almost RTM. The possibility of crashes and things not working are significantly higher with a TP.

I'm not sure what kind of mix we'll get but I'm expecting to see a few threads started by people who installed it on their daily driver, didn't backup their data and are now wondering what to do with their bricked or not properly functioning phone. All because they think they're 'missing out' and can't be bothered to wait.

Unfortunately people are too anxious to have an update just for the sake of having the update without realising that beta software can and will go wrong.
    No.
    02-02-2015 03:54 AM
    I don't think it will be stable enough but I'm going to install it anyway. If you are not comfortable with installing a lot of updates and maybe losing your data you should not install it.
    02-02-2015 03:58 AM
    Honestly, no one apart from Microsoft can give a definitive answer to such questions until the preview is out. Not long now.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    02-02-2015 04:01 AM
    Honestly, no one apart from Microsoft can give a definitive answer to such questions until the preview is out. Not long now.
    The answer of Microsoft is also not definitive. See the terms and conditions of the insider program.
    xandros9 and gpobernardo like this.
    02-02-2015 04:09 AM
    Updating your device with beta-preview OS is always risky.
    But those who registered to Preview for devs program had no issues with the updates as far as i know.
    N_LaRUE and gpobernardo like this.
    02-02-2015 04:45 AM
    Probably going to be lots of bugs and vital parts simply not there at all.

Keep NSRT and a data cable handy at all times.

Or wait a few weeks for the builds to stabilise more. But no one's going to do that. Everyone will install the first build and then complain that their phone isn't working.
    02-02-2015 04:53 AM
    I'm worried that it will be an early version of the OS and full of bugs and possibly brick my phone, according to the Windows 10 prerelease warnings in the Insider Program. Do you think it will be stable enough for daily use?

Groan. Seriously... You do NOT have to have it straight away. Let's wait until it's released before proclaiming doom and gloom.

P.s. I'll have it on day one and will enjoy the new features.
    02-02-2015 04:58 AM
    Probably going to be lots of bugs and vital parts simply not there at all.

Keep NSRT and a data cable handy at all times.

Or wait a few weeks for the builds to stabilise more. But no one's going to do that. Everyone will install the first build and then complain that their phone isn't working.
    ^ this.
    I might do the same (i mean get it on the 1st day, not the complaining thing). But yes i expect many, many bugs... Hopefully i won't have major bugs that destroy you phone, but small annoying (i can handle them)
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-02-2015 05:08 AM
    Well W10 for the PC is perfectly fine for my everyday use. It's still a little slow in some areas and some of the extra features still need to be tweaked, but it is fine for what I need and playing games isn't an issue either.

And with my experience through WP8.1 dev preview so far, I expect W10 for my phone to be just as good.

If it screws up my Lumia 930 then I'll just go through factory reset and online support to fix it.

Worst case, I still have my Lumia 925 floating around.
    02-02-2015 05:15 AM
    W10 will be on alpha stage while wp8.1 was the "almost" finished update. So it will be different.

@ praxius Maybe install w10 in your L925 and keep the 930 ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think its better this way
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    02-02-2015 05:19 AM
    W10 will be on alpha stage while wp8.1 was the "almost" finished update. So it will be different.

@ praxius Maybe install w10 in your L925 and keep the 930 ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think its better this way
    Well the 925 is currently in the hands of my wife's cousin, but he's not exactly using it yet (haven't got around to it) so if I do need to use it, it's still available.

So my 930 will be the lab rat. Might as well test it on the best phone I have available to minimize any optimization issues.

My wife has a 1320 and her mom has a 630, both setup for dev preview of 8.1.

I usually test it out before I suggest to them to update anything.

Worst worst case, if I can't get my 925 back for whatever reason, I still have my old Lumia 800 collecting dust. :P
    02-02-2015 05:49 AM
    Well the 925 is currently in the hands of my wife's cousin, but he's not exactly using it yet (haven't got around to it) so if I do need to use it, it's still available.

So my 930 will be the lab rat. Might as well test it on the best phone I have available to minimize any optimization issues.

My wife has a 1320 and her mom has a 630, both setup for dev preview of 8.1.

I usually test it out before I suggest to them to update anything.

Worst worst case, if I can't get my 925 back for whatever reason, I still have my old Lumia 800 collecting dust. :P
    A Lumia family I see. Well you are lucky that you have a backup (good phone). If my Lumia 920 dies I will have to go back in my cracked screen 800.it works fine but it misses way many features
    02-02-2015 06:23 AM
    I only have one device - L1520.
    Knowing myself I'm probably gonna be installing it the minute it gets released.
    BUT I'll try to hold myself from doing it, and wait a day or two to see if there are any fatal bugs that are really game-breaking.

I'm exposed to beta software all around, so I won't mind it, unless it's something really bad.

Also, if it's as good as the preview for desktop was, I'm gettin' that thing right away.
    02-02-2015 06:26 AM
    A Lumia family I see. Well you are lucky that you have a backup (good phone). If my Lumia 920 dies I will have to go back in my cracked screen 800.it works fine but it misses way many features
    The only physical problem with my L800 is answering and sending calls. As soon as I dial out or I pick up the call, the screen goes black as if it was put up to my ear and all buttons are disabled until the other person hangs up or I hold the power button down long enough to restart.

One of the reasons why I upgraded my contract early to the 925.

Of course a month after I got the 925, the 930 came out... SoaB! I even asked the guys at Vodafone several times when it was coming out and they said they didn't know, and I couldn't wait any longer... Then it came out. I bought an unlocked 930 a little while later. The 925 is still a great phone and takes great shots in low light, but the better hardware, better screen and the 20mp camera was too tempting.

Battery seems better too.
    02-02-2015 06:45 AM
    Not to be mean, but if you got to ask that question you SHOULDN'T be installing it on your phone.

I'm not expecting that many great changes in WP10 to take the chance anyways.
    02-02-2015 06:58 AM
    Funny how people can't be patient. This could be very nice, but we need to just relax until it is out, people use it for a while, and then we will know. If you can't be without your phone then don't take a chance until we know more.
    Nicholas Lovan likes this.
    02-02-2015 08:18 AM
    I made the same post on the main board. I read those warnings and for all the beta's I've tested, this one made me think. I suspect I'll do it anyway because if this goes left, I can re-flash using that Nokia tool. I don't expect to need it though.
    Jorge Holguin likes this.
    02-02-2015 08:44 AM
    I think It will be ok for daily use.
    02-02-2015 10:58 AM
    I will installed it on my 925 first, after a week of usage and see what kind of issues I encounter I will definitely installed it on my 1520 -daily use-
    Last edited by Jorge Holguin; 02-02-2015 at 02:30 PM.
    02-02-2015 12:09 PM
    Wait a couple of days, read news/comments here on WCentral. See how people react on it, is it stable or not for daily use, are there many bugs etc.

What matters me the most is...are simple functions gonna work as they should, like calls and SMS texting.

Conclusion: Don't rush!
    neo158 likes this.
    02-02-2015 12:31 PM
    Updating your device with beta-preview OS is always risky.
    But those who registered to Preview for devs program had no issues with the updates as far as i know.
    That's not strictly true, lots of people found their phones had poor battery life and even bootlooping so I would say that unless you have a spare device to test it on then stay away from the preview, but that's just my opinion.
    02-02-2015 02:09 PM
    Key thing to keep in mind here is that it's a technical preview and not the old Developer Preview like before which was an almost complete package.

There will be issues with some devices without doubt. I expect to see many posts of people crying about losing stuff or things not working right.

There is always a risk attached to alpha/beta software. If you're not prepared for that risk don't do it. Period. Ignore those who come along and say 'I had no issues' that does not mean you won't.
    neo158, Laura Knotek, Pete and 1 others like this.
    02-03-2015 02:39 AM
    I had a handset that BSOD'd on 8.1DP. The Nokia tool recovered it OK. But I'd have been annoyed if it was my main handset.
    If someone's at all uncomfortable with the idea of bricking a device and/or data loss/corruption, then installing a tech preview OS is probably brave.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    02-03-2015 02:55 AM
    Quite a misleading question really.
    Of course I expect W10 for mobile to be good enough for daily use.
    However, I don't expect the preview we're getting this month to be of a similar standard.
    02-03-2015 03:32 AM
34 12