Consolidation of Redundant Apps?

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Has there been any word on whether some of the redundant apps will be consolidated in Windows 10? By this I mean the fact we have a Maps app, Here Drive+, Here Maps. Same goes for Health Vault, Microsoft Health (for the band), Health and Fitness.

With Maps, you can open the maps app to launch Here Drive+, or you can launch Here Maps, input your destination and then it will launch Here Drive+. Just seems a little confusing to me.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
HERE is by Nokia not MS so it would be up to them to do this. They already did this with their Android version.

As for the other that would be up to MS to sort that out. I have no idea what redundancy is there as I never used these apps.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
How about the various cameras (MS camera, Lumia camera, Lumia selfie,etc) & editing tools(lumia refocus, cinemagraph)... Would be better if they could all be consolidated into 1 app or maybe 2 - one for clicking & one for editing, rather than this big suite of apps.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
100% agree. The maps and camera situation is a mess, not to mention that the HERE apps are pretty much dead at this point.
I'm sure we'll see some consolidation with W10M, the question is how much. I think HERE maps is very likely to disappear. Not sure about the rest.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
It could get worse too...weren't there rumors of bringing Lumia camera to the other Windows Phones...so on my HTC One I'd have Microsoft Camera, Lumia Camera and HTC Camera.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
This is already being addressed.

• A new universal "Maps" app with Cortana integration is being developed. This app is taking the best of Microsoft's Maps, Bing 3D Maps & Nokia's HERE Maps and HERE Drive+ apps. This will be a single universal mapping app.
  • Lumia Camera is replacing the current Microsoft Camera app, not being made available in addition to it. So essentially, the new default Microsoft Camera app will be what was once known as Lumia Camera.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'd really love to see merging of all Lumia (former Nokia) camera related apps.

Lumia Selfie
Lumia Refocus
Lumia Moments
Lumia Cinemagraph
Video Tuner
Lumia Camera
Lumia Creative Studio
Lumia Storyteller

like wtf, make 1-2 apps that mix all of that and voila

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads