[Solution] Updated to technical preview, device failing to detect SIM

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
After updating to the TP and soft resetting/rebooting, many have described a problem where their device fails to detect the SIM.

This thread is intended to list the currently known solutions/workarounds. Please refrain from posting "I have this problem too". Anything that works towards a solution is welcome however.

AFAIK the only solution we currently have is to hard-reset the device. MS staff has acknowledged the issue but seems to recommend going back to WP8:

A device reset is indeed the correct resolution here. This is a known issue we've become aware of and are tracking.

The steps as linked to are for Windows Phone 8 and the location of the reset has changed a bit in Windows 10.

To complete the reset, please do so at the following location on the device:

Settings > System > About > Reset my device

Thank you!

Source

Last edited:

Pat18

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I had the same Sim error after upgrading to Windows 10 preview. Performed hard reset after which Settings app is missing in all apps screen. Couldn't open settings even from notification pannel. is there any solution for this prob?

GAMiEE

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I had the same Sim error after upgrading to Windows 10 preview. Performed hard reset after which Settings app is missing in all apps screen. Couldn't open settings even from notification pannel. is there any solution for this prob?

Already wanted too to say this... SIM card works, receiving calls too, calling too, but anything other not. Settings missing. Insider Hub cant launch... I think is only a few ways.. Wait to update or recovery..

cfscorpio

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem too. I performed the hard reset and it did fix the issue but now I have no cellular data. Calling, messaging and WiFi work but I can't get any data whether I toggle the cellular data on or off.

GAMiEE

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

I know how to fix it. Just again hard reset phone, but via hardware keys. Configure phone, and wait some time (cca 1 hour), then u get all apps. (its slow installing, but is it! ). Dont reboot phone, else the installing stucks!

dryoussef21

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I have hard reset my L920 (settings>> about) ..but I had an issue in signing during setup so I can't restore my backup ...any solutions?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

GAMiEE

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I got these problem to. I logged to outlook, but its wanted again to login, so i clicked again to login and all is good... So anyway, wait to install all apps, then go to settings, accounts and add your outlook account. :)

Bluesky787

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I just found a better Solution:
Instead of hard reset the Device, Abort initial SIM-Pin Window, unlock your Phone and open Settings->System->Phone.
There should be an Option to turn off Sim-Security. Turn it off and enter the SIM-Pin, it's the same windows as the one after booting, but here it works fpr me. SIM is now unlocked and the Phone should find your mobile Network again.
Microsoft has a great problem to fix here and this solution is just a quick and dirty workaround, but at least you should be able your mobile phone for make and take calls again.
I am using the german Version of the Technical Preview on a Lumia 925. I hope, system settings can be as easily translated as I did.
Share this solution, if it works for you.
Thanks and good luck :)

GAMiEE

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Bluesky:
This topic is about the phone didnt DETECT sim card, so this is isnt useful for those problem, but for freeze after write PIN its good.

Singh98: If u dont have settings, check my solution upper.

Aravind Kumar V

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Restore is working, but while restoring it got stuck at "Restored Accounts" screen as below. It allows me to click on "next" but nothing happens :-( Lumia_720.jpg

Please help!

singh98

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
How to go to sim settings because in my phone to problems are there .
1. Sim not Detects and
2. Setting Are not opened.

Is Hard reset solve my problem
Help plz

dwarfsize

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem too. I performed the hard reset and it did fix the issue but now I have no cellular data. Calling, messaging and WiFi work but I can't get any data whether I toggle the cellular data on or off.

I had this issue BEFORE I've hard reset. I'm in the process currently of hard resetting, hopefully it doesn't raise any more issues

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon