Read incoming text messages aloud

omagic82

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I was just very used to the setting menus in Windows Phone 8.1, but I find the new settings layout to be much more difficult to find settings. For example. in 8.1 I had my phone setup so that when a new text message came in it would tell me the name of the person it was coming from and ask me to read or ignore. In Windows 10 for phones I cannot find this setting anywhere. Does it exist in Win 10 and where can I find it?

The Extreme G

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
The function doesn't exist in W10 at the moment because Cortana interaction is being handled differently (mostly because of the bluetooth). It will come back in a future update but there is no eta.

buggyglint

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The "read aloud audio confirmation" seems to be working while using a Bluetooth headset but there doesn't seem to be an option to turn it off... very annoying while listening to music through Bluetooth and it pauses your music. I hope we get an option to configure it sooner than later.

EDIT: I spoke too soon... I have found the setting deep within Cortanas notebook, see it in these screenshots.
nUd3JlA.jpg

Last edited:

Sario27

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
The "read aloud audio confirmation" seems to be working while using a Bluetooth headset but there doesn't seem to be an option to turn it off... very annoying while listening to music through Bluetooth and it pauses your music. I hope we get an option to configure it sooner than later.

EDIT: I spoke too soon... I have found the setting deep within Cortanas notebook, see it in these screenshots.
http://i.imgur.com/nUd3JlA.jpg

You have no idea how happy I am about finding this setting. Thank you so much!

otv1

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
is there an option to read it out loud text messages like on the 8.1 models? Stated who was texting and you could either read or ignore

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
is there an option to read it out loud text messages like on the 8.1 models? Stated who was texting and you could either read or ignore

Only Cortana does it now. No more built in vocal synth.
First enable Cortana, then tap hamburger, notebook, settings, messages reading

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Only Cortana does it now. No more built in vocal synth.
First enable Cortana, then tap hamburger, notebook, settings, messages reading

So is that a Yes, Cortana can be set to function just exactly as in WP 8.1, announce who the text is from and then ask to read it or ignore?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital