W10 Tech Preview - 10080: Lumia Icon - To install, or not to install

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Gave it a good shot but going back to 8.1. Worked good for about 6 hrs then performance degraded very fast. Did a soft reset & went back to reboot loop. Hard reset, worked for 20 mins & screen & capacitive buttons froze. Soft reset, back into reboot loop. Reverting back to 8.1, when it worked it was usable & I was able to send some feedback but it is to unstable on the ICON to even test.

DO NOT INSTALL, EVEN FOR TESTING TO GIVE FEEDBACK

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well that was fun. Tried rolling back using the Windows Phone recover tool & it failed repeatedly. Downloaded the Lumia recovery tool & it worked like a charm.....

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
This is my second time on TP 10. Seems I have an update but waiting for it to download. Its just been stuck at 0% downloading and I don't know what the update was.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I just hard reset my 1520 with this newest build. It booted up with ONLY the IE tile on the home screen and half the "Settings" were in my All Apps column... Lol. Wtf. This build is terrible, btw.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
My phone was acting crazy on 8.1/Denim and I was thinking about doing a factory reset, but then they released this Win10 build, so I took the plunge to check it out. I've been pleasantly surprised! I'll probably still reset back to 8.1 eventually after the newness wears off and the bugs become too much to handle, but I'm loving it so far! I know a ton of people are angry about the direction MS is taking with Windows 10, and I wasn't sure how I felt after looking at the screenshots, but using it great. Obviously there are still quite a bit of inconsistencies, but you can tell where they're going with it, and I can't wait until the final product is ready.

Abhimanyu Gupta

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
App icons/tiles are crazy in this build. Not telling what will happen.

I had exactly same problem..... I found the cause of this problem but still I don't have any solutions for this.
Apps are blocked from running in background. If you go to battery saver > usage, and check the apps, you will see that none of the apps are allowed to run in background. There is no way to turn this on.

PRG270

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
My icon stuck at loading for a week. Couldn't find app. But can receive calls or make call through search/cortana. Text cannot get through in any way.Posted a the situation on ms community website this afternoon. Just now, the phone recovered for some reason. I could see the start screen and all the apps. Can text. But lost my email account information. Cannot use enterprise mailbox. It seems ms merged 2 mail apps. still buggy and looks weird. But, it'S usable.

maxpower818

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Updated my ICON last night from 8.1 and I couldn't be happier. It's super smooth and it looks great. There are still bugs but it works really well even on my daily driver.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have an estimate of how many Icons were sold?

At what point will it be "possible - advisable" to use Microsoft Insider program to "upgrade our Icons" to Windows 10 and "forget Verizon" and rely only on Microsoft?

Or, is that just a stupid pipe dream ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have an estimate of how many Icons were sold?

At what point will it be "possible - advisable" to use Microsoft Insider program to "upgrade our Icons" to Windows 10 and "forget Verizon" and rely only on Microsoft?

Or, is that just a stupid pipe dream ?

You cant forget about Verizon, they will create the firmware that will optimize the battery, radios (so you get LTE, CDMA, etc) and other hardware features on the ICON. Microsoft only provides the OS.

Sure you can just update to the Dev preview and use Windows 10 on your phone, that will work but, the tweaks to run fully wont be there, meaning battery and other hardware features could suffer.

The point where you can almost forget about Verizon is after/if they release Windows 10 Mobile for the ICON, and with the phone being discontinued almost a year from now, I would not hold your breath about getting it.

I would actually be shocked, as tons of Android users phones get cut and 3 months later a update comes out that they never see. I think there would be an outrage if we got it for the ICON...

You might actually be stuck on the Dev preview for life if you want Windows 10.....

Welcome to Verizon wireless

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea