Microsoft services going cross platform ( Ms edge in particular)

Sarmad Khalil

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
So I was reading an article about ms going cross platform and how they want to be everywhere with every service they have. And then it hit me. " every service" is incomplete and doesn't make sense. When u say services, for me even a web browser is one and I think ms edge is one the browser everyone should use to get used to it and give feedback. Cut out some features but give everyone every basic things. Heck even Cortana is cross platform (which imo was strategically the right thing to do). So, with Microsoft opening the guns with windows 10, and Ms edge will be available in the consumer ready build, do you think that Ms edge be available on all platform and not just their own. Because to me it does matter when u say you are cross platform. What do you all think...??

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
At some point the browser will be available across all platforms.. To decide against this wouldn't be very smart. For right now tho, the browser can stay with us. MS has enough people giving feedback

Sarmad Khalil

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
But Microsoft clearly stated that they have no plans to make edge cross platform which is a bummer. Keeping things to ourselves caused a huge loss to Ms including negligible gains in mobile os market. I think Ms should release the browser at least for ios asap. They should release it with Cortana and that would be a huuuuuuge, bringing tight integration within their services on other platform. This may give people a second chance to think about the browser and use it, seeing that explorer got one of the worst consumer feedback.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
But Microsoft clearly stated that they have no plans to make edge cross platform which is a bummer. Keeping things to ourselves caused a huge loss to Ms including negligible gains in mobile os market. I think Ms should release the browser at least for ios asap. They should release it with Cortana and that would be a huuuuuuge, bringing tight integration within their services on other platform. This may give people a second chance to think about the browser and use it, seeing that explorer got one of the worst consumer feedback.
Releasing all your services on all platforms also runs the risk of not growing your own Os numbers. I wwant some exclusive features for windows 10 and not everything going to the others.

Notice apple doesn't usually bring their features to every platform. Google does but not before they make it awesome on their own.

Microsoft needs to give people a compelling reason to use both their products and services.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Agree with Micah!

On the other hand; Yes MS said Edge is staying put, but I wouldn't buy too much into that. I think MS will do what Google does (Micah's description).

If calendar and Cortana are going cross platform, what's the point in holding back Edge? The best thing to do, is to make it available after it reaches it maximum potential, but to make sure that full power of it can only be used with windows pc's

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a browser really matters if it's exclusive or not. Nobody buys a PC or Mac for its default browser.

The same applies to phones and tablets. Nobody buys iPhones or iPads for Safari.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Sarmad Khalil

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Here's a scenario. U own a windows pc and a laptop, but an android smartphone. U use every service which is seamlessly synced between devices ( OneDrive, photos, music, Cortana etc etc). Now comes the browser. U r, for example reading a book online, u found a book while surfing ln your pc and started reading it. Now you wanted to go to a cafe for coffee or tea so you take your laptop with you. Your browser already synced the tab and when u opened it, it was there and you continued reading. Now you are in your bed and you wanna continue reading. Problem is, no browser by Microsoft for you to seamlessly sync the history and tabs on your android phone. Now, if u completely twist it, u can easily download chrome on all three devices sync easily throughout the devices and have your work done seamlessly. So easily google wins. I think now is the right time for ms edge to launch on competing platforms too. Because people are easily gonna forgive you for the setbacks and ugly glitches, rather than releasing it five years from now. People do buy things when the experience is flawless and performs exactly of what was promised, and in this case, deep integration within their services. Not having a browser completely kills the idea of having deep integration within the services provided by Ms.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Here's a scenario. U own a windows pc and a laptop, but an android smartphone. U use every service which is seamlessly synced between devices ( OneDrive, photos, music, Cortana etc etc). Now comes the browser. U r, for example reading a book online, u found a book while surfing ln your pc and started reading it. Now you wanted to go to a cafe for coffee or tea so you take your laptop with you. Your browser already synced the tab and when u opened it, it was there and you continued reading. Now you are in your bed and you wanna continue reading. Problem is, no browser by Microsoft for you to seamlessly sync the history and tabs on your android phone. Now, if u completely twist it, u can easily download chrome on all three devices sync easily throughout the devices and have your work done seamlessly. So easily google wins. I think now is the right time for ms edge to launch on competing platforms too. Because people are easily gonna forgive you for the setbacks and ugly glitches, rather than releasing it five years from now. People do buy things when the experience is flawless and performs exactly of what was promised, and in this case, deep integration within their services. Not having a browser completely kills the idea of having deep integration within the services provided by Ms.
Firefox also works in that scenario.

Actually, I use Firefox as my default browser for everything except Windows Phone, only because Windows Phone doesn't have Firefox. Of all the devices I own, the majority of them cannot use IE/Edge anyway. Firefox is compatible with the most devices (2 Windows PCs, 1 Windows tablet, 2 Linux PCs, 1 Android smartphone, 1 Android tablet).

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
People forgive for the setbacks and glitches? :/ I have literally never seen that happen in the tech world. If you make a mistake people will remind you of that mistake every day :/ This was a side note and adds nothing to the main topic lol

Sarmad Khalil

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft edge would be a new initiative by Microsoft. A bug here and there would be easily forgiven. However, if they release it 5 years from now, and still have bugs, it would show how poor the company is. So Imo better now then later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon