Want a flagship!...Get ready to have your hopes dashed!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Take Off the Tin Foil Hats; the World is Not Over

Another mule. smh..Ewan Spence is FOS. Look up FOS in the dictionary and you'll see his face.

Haha... FOS.... That's fructooligosaccharide, and it's not very good for you.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nokia will license their name for others to make devices if they choose. Nokia themselves will not be making the phones.

This is completely incorrect.
Nokia won't be MANUFACTURING the phones. But the phones WILL be made by Nokia. Nokia will design them inside and out, Nokia picks what kind of tech goes into the phones etc. An OEM partner then gets the license to manufacture that phone and distribute it, paying a royalty to Nokia and keeping the rest to itself. That's where the "licening" part comes from.

It's the exact same business model used in the book market. And author writes the book and decides what goes into it etc. Then a publisher gets the rights to publish and market that book and the author gets paid in royalties.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
A lot of the negative Microsoft has brought on itself. When they put more effort into Android and IOS versions of their apps, when they rush to perfect the desktop version of W10 while the mobile version is treated like the red headed stepchild, when they push out low end phones by the gross and yet can't produce even one high end phone. Yea I can see why their is a lot of negative. I gave up on WP as my only smartphone some time ago. I decided I could and would have both, so if they fail it won't be a big deal. It will be Microsoft's lost, not mine. Just my feeling on the matter, for better or for worst.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This is completely incorrect.
Nokia won't be MANUFACTURING the phones. But the phones WILL be made by Nokia. Nokia will design them inside and out, Nokia picks what kind of tech goes into the phones etc. An OEM partner then gets the license to manufacture that phone and distribute it, paying a royalty to Nokia and keeping the rest to itself. That's where the "licening" part comes from.

It's the exact same business model used in the book market. And author writes the book and decides what goes into it etc. Then a publisher gets the rights to publish and market that book and the author gets paid in royalties.

Sorry man, but this is also incorrect.

Microsoft bought the entire Nokia Handset and Devices division. This included all of the design, testing and manufacturing. This includes all of the factories and the workers of those factories. Microsoft, NOT Nokia will be designing, testing and manufacturing their devices.

I worked at MS during the time of this acquisition and integration of the former Nokia employees and their business.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

Microsoft bought the entire Nokia Handset and Devices division. This included all of the design, testing and manufacturing. This includes all of the factories and the workers of those factories. Microsoft, NOT Nokia will be designing, testing and manufacturing their devices.

I worked at MS during the time of this acquisition and integration of the former Nokia employees and their business.

Correct me if I'm wrong

DJCBS seems to be speaking of what Nokia will begin doing after their return to smartphone making in 2016

You seem to be mixing what MS has begun doing, and currently is doing after the purchase of Nokia, with what Nokia is said to begin doing in 2016

Nokia sold off their handsets division to MS (Lumia), and Lumia is now Microsoft's. Microsoft now creates Lumia, and Nokia does not make any phones at all, and is strictly a software company.

Nokia and MS are separate, but the Nokia handset division which used to be a part of Nokia is now under Microsoft...

Nokia now licenses their name to other manufacturers and let's them use the Nokia name on their products, hence Nokia N1... They are currently not allowed to make phones themselves but in 2016 will return to the smartphone game

They will begin in 2016 designing phones again, but who actually manufacture them isnt easy to determine as the Nokia CEO simply says they will look for suitable partners, but also hints that Microsoft makes mobile phones, and that they would simply design them and make the Nokia name available to license.... So will future Microsoft Lumia phones become Nokia Lumia again? Will Nokia start an all new Phone line with a different product name? IDK

Here is the article backing up my last paragraph

But frankly I don't care either... I only care about Microsoft's Flagship reference device that supposedly is to come.. the same way I only care about the Surface tablet PC line & don't really have any interest in what HP or Dell do with their devices, or come out with...So whatever the reference device gets called, that'll be my desired phone, and Nokia or Microsoft Lumia are off my list of interests, unless of course Microsoft's flagship reference device gets placed under the name Lumia, instead of Surface

http://m.windowscentral.com/nokia-ceo-says-company-will-return-smartphone-industry

Last edited:

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The other thing that sometimes goes without mentioning when discussing the whereabouts and howlongs of the next flagship is just how good, and therefore long-lived, the reigning flagships are. The prospect of a snappier processor, more memory and on-board charging are enough to keep me pining, but there really isn't another device currently available that I am tempted to trade in my Lumia 1520 for. I expect that the next flagship will be a little thinner and lighter, but that doesn't move me (there is a point where the thing just becomes fragile and unsubstantial feeling). It seems unlikely that there will be some novel, new design (such as the Blackberry Passport), so the principle difference between today's flagship and the next, will be running Windows Mobile, which the current flagships are capable of upgrading to. But its the shark thing, of having to always be eating and moving forward or you die. And even when the rivals' new flagships are meh (Galaxy, Iphone), I still get antsy and envious while I'm waiting without even an announced launch to tide me over.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The other thing that sometimes goes without mentioning when discussing the whereabouts and howlongs of the next flagship is just how good, and therefore long-lived, the reigning flagships are. The prospect of a snappier processor, more memory and on-board charging are enough to keep me pining, but there really isn't another device currently available that I am tempted to trade in my Lumia 1520 for.

So far we can only really expect a faster processor, sharper display, maybe a thinner design, you know , the usual... what Apple does every year...just tweaks to keep it modern..no telling right now if any innovation will be within this phone, but so far we can say we will have two cool features that our current phones won't support...
Windows Hello, and Continuum

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

WRONG. I am talking about NOKIA smartphones, NOT Microsoft smartphones, mate. And I'm talking about creating, not manufacturing.
Read again.

Nokia WILL be returning themselves to smartphones in 2016 and they will be the ones designing everything. Independently of Microsoft Mobile (which shouldn't last very long anyway) and totally independently from Windows Phone or Microsoft itself. In case you didn't get the memo, Nokia still exists, has a Technologies division with ALL their patents in it. Microsoft bought the manufacturing and distribution chain along with some engineers (many of which have, meanwhile, been fired and are actually back at Nokia).

Microsoft does NOT design Nokia phones. Because they're not Nokia. Just like Jolla doesn't design Nokia phones.
The fact that Microsoft bought some ex-Nokia employees doesn't grant them the ability to produce Nokia phones. Unless Nokia themselves designs them from the ground up and all Microsoft does is manufacture them. Which won't happen because Microsoft will, sooner than later, ditch the hardware division altogether and the only phones out of Redmond will be reference devices like the Surface or the Microsoft Band.

Correct me if I'm wrong

DJCBS seems to be speaking of what Nokia will begin doing after their return to smartphone making in 2016

You are correct, that's what I was talking about.

They will begin in 2016 designing phones again, but who actually manufacture them isnt easy to determine as the Nokia CEO simply says they will look for suitable partners, but also hints that Microsoft makes mobile phones, and that they would simply design them and make the Nokia name available to license.... So will future Microsoft Lumia phones become Nokia Lumia again? Will Nokia start an all new Phone line with a different product name? IDK

Suri mentioned Microsoft making phones to illustrate the difference between creating phones and manufacturing them. Microsoft manufactures the phones they create (like LG and Samsung do). Nokia, like Apple and Sony for example, will only create the phones. Others will manufacture them on their behalf.

When he says Nokia will design and license them, that's because you need to license the manufacture of a product for another to produce it. Think of it as the model used in books. The author doesn't manufacture nor sell his own books. A publishing house does. The books don't become a work of the publisher because of that. They're still the author's creation. Same thing will apply (and has applied to the Nokia N1). Nokia creates the "book". An OEM partner - the "publisher" - published it.

Also, this now is PURE speculation because no one has gotten access to the terms of the deal, but the Nokia-LG deal that was signed a couple of weeks ago could very well be part of Nokia's return. LG is also a manufacturer. They'll be licensing mobile patents from Nokia.
It COULD be possible that among the terms of that licensing deal is that while Nokia provides LG with mobile patents for use in LG phones, LG will manufacture the phones for Nokia.
Again, this is JUST me speculating but it's a possible outcome.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
What are you guys on about, this is an opinion based article. There actually will be a flagship. Microsoft even promised us in January.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft will, sooner than later, ditch the hardware division altogether and the only phones out of Redmond will be reference devices like the Surface or the Microsoft Band.

Cant wait for this to happen

The MS ecosystem will finally be clean and simple like Apples, while at the same time have the flexibility of Google because of OEM partners

Surface
Surface Phone
Microsoft Band
Hololens
Xbox

All running Windows & using MS services

I hope the flagship coming this year is the reference device, and not another Lumia Flagship.... More OEM's need to start planting budget Windows Phones everywhere so Lumia can be ditched already, and Nokia would make a great one due to their positive recognition in the "affordability based" markets

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Microsoft Demotes Lumia Smartphones As iOS Takes Priority - Forbes

Interesting perspective on the impact of the recent staffing decisions in Redmond. Obviously one man's opinion and I'm being entirely tongue-in-cheek, but certainly not impossible. The most noteworthy quote from the article:

"With the changes above, I’m expecting the Lumia hardware teams to focus on low- and mid-range handsets, but the goal will be on bringing consumers into Microsoft’s cloud-services rather than trying to fight Android and iOS on marketshare."

...and he tosses a few other daggers into the souls of all of the noble Windows Phone supporters, stomping on a few ponies along the way. Give it a quick read (it's not long) and feel free to offer up your interpretation of the reorganization and whether it could mean the end of high end wp devices. Or you can just hurl some random insults my way. Or both. Or neither.

Kind of all bull****. There are two high-end devices in late stages of development. I know a lot about them is all I will say (I'm not under NDA, MS has not briefed media yet on them, these are multiple sources who have access to them). The specs that we have reported on are accurate.

"With the changes above, I’m expecting the Lumia hardware teams to focus on low- and mid-range handsets, but the goal will be on bringing consumers into Microsoft’s cloud-services rather than trying to fight Android and iOS on marketshare."

This tells me this man has no inside info. He's making **** up aka speculating.

Forbes is a pretty ****ty publication these days, imo.

Also, you have to understand: Microsoft may de-emphasize flagships in the sense of not making 5 different semi-flagship-ish devices like Nokia, confusing the market.

Additionally, how the f- are you ever going to get Samsung and HTC on board with high-end devices - globally - if you beat them at every punch. Why would Samsung port over their Galaxy devices when Microsoft has capped the Windows Phone high-end market?

Finally, these moves by Microsoft are fantastic. The idea that hardware and software will be co-developed is amazing. We won't even see the fruits of this until the next releases, but it translates to the OS team and hardware people building a phone tailored to each other aka the iPhone and how Apple does it (also Palm and BlackBerry).

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
These changes are prepping Microsoft to be the consistence, simplicity and reliability Apple while also having the flexibility and openness of Google...

Ms will be the best of both worlds

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes