10080 to 10149 - Won't Upgrade

SangNaga

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I am aware of the incomplete lock screen after install and that I should wait until the clock shows up.

I can't even get that far.

My phone update shows:
Updates are available....(10.0.12648.133)...
Downloading updates 0%.

The downloading updates stays for about 30-45 minutes at 0%, it never changes.
Then it switches to preparing to install, and it sits there for about 10 minutes.
Then it says ready to install and has a scheduled time. When I click 'Restart now' everything on the update pages goes away except some red text saying:
"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep...(0x8024201f)"

So I try again and it takes upwards of an hour to reach the restart point and the same thing happens.

This has been happening all day. I've tried restarting, I've tried going back into the insider and re-selecting fast track, I've tried scheduling a restart for 30 minutes away and letting it auto restart, it is the same thing every time.

I did some searching and found that others have sporadically had this issue for at least 2 months, but I couldn't find anyone that claimed they had a fix. It simply started working.

Anyone else experience this issue with build 10149?

I am trying to avoid rolling back and then forwards because that will kill some business apps such as RSA. The tech department at my company is anti Microsoft and doesn't have an automated process for Windows Phone. Getting them to reset the tokens for me is always a pain because they have to do it manually in their system.

Red920

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently trying to update from 10136 to 10149 and I think I might be exeriencing something similar.
My phone seemed to be stuck on 0%
And I keep getting a message that the download has paused, because battery saver is turned on (but I checked and battery saver is off)

*Update now its at 1% but taking ages...

salcie

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as OP on my 920 with 10080 atm. But after stuck at 0% sometimes it goes straight to "preparing to install", sometimes it goes up to like 6%, then its stuck again, then 64%, but same thing after. I also had the battery saver error appear very briefly repeatedly, but i just deactivated it for now (no more seeing this one).

I actually got to the SPINNING COGS ONCE! Finally, relaxed, I put my phone down (checked a few times and the progress bar was filling up). After a few minutes (much too little), i no longer see the cogs and phone is asking for the pin........ Guess what, still on the old build, and no error message, nothing..... Now i'm repeatedly going again through the same things stated above..

Worth checking out how this title in the notification looks, is it the same for all of you guys?
wp_ss_20150626_0001.png

If someone finds a fix for this or it just randomly fixes itself please post here, as i'm too lazy and a little bit busy atm to flash back 8.1 and even if i flash, who knows if it will work...

Yitzhak Khabinsky

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Same story here.
I have Lumia 820 with Windows 10 Mobile 10080 build.
Tried to upgrade to the latest build 10149.
I followed standard installation steps, got up to the spinning gears.
Eventually, I received the following error: 0x8024201f

Retry button, nothing worked.

The phone doesn't sense anymore that there is a new build available.
It shows the following message now:
"Your device is up date...".

After that I launched Windows Insider app.
Reselected again Fast ring.
Back to "Check for updates" button.
"Your device is up date...".

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I thought mine was broken as well. It was stuck at 0% for about 20 minutes then it finally started moving and worked after the 2nd attempt. Maybe try again, or give it some time?

Yitzhak Khabinsky

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Eventually, after multiple reboots, soft resets, and re-selecting Fast ring, the phone recognized that the update is available.

But the same errors pops up.
Here it is the error message verbatim:
"There were some problems
installing updates, but we'll try
again later. If you keep seeing this
and want to search the web or
contact support for the information,
this may help - (0x8024201f)"

salcie

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
@Lumious
My download, on the occasions it worked, also got stuck and worked after a while. I've done at least 10 attempts to download, so it's not this either (I think).
@Yitzhak khabinsky
I'm getting the same error when the update fails from the start, and also when it works (dl + prep) after I press the reset button, I get the same for a very short amount of time. I also remember getting 0x80240022 at some point, don't know exacty. Seems like we aren't getting this build either.. :cry:

EDIT: I only got to the cogs once in all my attempts, so probably something broke there. And I also had a short period when it told me it was up to date.

salcie

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Please let me know if anything changes for you.. I've tried a few time more and same mixed, but failed, results.

I'm too afraid to flash since my cable is damaged, and I don't want to risk bricking it just yet (yes, primary device).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to avoid rolling back and then forwards because that will kill some business apps such as RSA. The tech department at my company is anti Microsoft and doesn't have an automated process for Windows Phone. Getting them to reset the tokens for me is always a pain because they have to do it manually in their system.

With that kind of requirement, you really shouldn't be using the technical preview!

It's been stated a million times all over the place, including the terms you agree to when signing up for the preview, that you should fully expect your phone to be bricked. Mine has been bricked twice, the last time when upgrading from 10136. To even get the preview to work half-decently often requires a hard-reset, which IMHO should be a mandatory part of the process to deter those who can't really afford it, at least in W10M's current state.

Just get it over with. Do a hard reset and if that doesn't work then roll back.

The release notes for this build also mention this:

Some people may encounter an 80091007 error trying to upgrade to this build from Build 10136. If you hit this error, sit tight – we’re working on a fix. Or if you want the new build right away, you can use the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 and then upgrade to Build 10149.

Doesn't sound like it's exactly the same problem, but maybe it's related in some way. I'd say that's the other option... just wait it out.

source

Yitzhak Khabinsky

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
@Zachary Boddy
The entire deal with the 10149 build is that it allows to update build 10080 without a rollback to 8.1

The 0x8024201f error is a showstopper for now.
So it looks like that we need to wait for another upcoming future build.

shayankmr9

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I was on build 10136 and i flashed my phone to 8.1 beacause it was stucked in 0%..so I will be getting 10149 directly..? Or after 10136..?

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
mine most of the time stuck on checking for updates screen or shows the error 0x8024201f1 before even downloading the update or the phone update setting goes blank or the wi-fi automatically turns off nd have to restart to fix it... tried alot! :/

salcie

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
For those with my issue: I had hoped that a hard reset would fix things - I was wrong. I am now stuck in following loop: cogs for ~30 mins, reboot, big sad face, and then cogs again. Cogs always get stuck in the same spot.
Seems like now I have no options left but to flash back to 8.1. I will update after I flash, might take a while since i'm a little busy.

Ushae

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I also cannot get this build, currently stuck on 10080.

It simply says I am upto date.. no option at all for L930 in UK :(

Looks like I will have to reflash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes