Windows 10 Mobile Build 10166 on Lumia 535

Youloufy

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Okay, so... This is my first forum post in like ever so be easy on me :winktongue: Plus if you have any tips on how to improve at this type of stuff, please do tell me.

Yesterday, I installed Build 10166 on Windows 10 onto my Lumia 535. It didn't take that long to download (like 20-25 minutes) but I don't know how long it took to install because I just fell asleep after tapping the 'Install' button. When I woke up, it was on the main unlock screen. I tried unlocking it, it didn't respond. I pressed the volume buttons, no response there either. I basically tried every way of interacting with my device but it would just stay there, leaving me staring at the out-of-date weather on my lock screen. Then I removed my back cover and released the battery from its position turning the phone off. I placed it back in the compartment and turned it back on, hoping for the best.

Voila! I was able to interact with Windows 10 Mobile. I swiped up on the lock screen and had to enter the PIN. I entered it but nothing happened. I remembered reading about this issue on the WindowsCentral forums. I waited for a couple of minutes and it worked. I was on the start screen. (There was a PIN because the settings and apps I had on Windows Phone 8.1 carried forward to Windows 10. I was genuinely impressed by it and the new animation for opening apps. Continued using it, the Settings app seemed worlds apart from the one in Windows Phone 8.1 and in a good way. They were finally sorted into categories.

And then the issues started to appear, a major one was that the screen would randomly go black and the only way to get it back would be to press the power button and the lock screen would appear again.
Secondly, there was no visible indication that a page was loading when using Microsoft Edge. The reload button would remain as the reload button and would no change into the stop-loading button. And there would be no bar to show the progress of how much the page had loaded.
Battery life was also not the best. It would only offer backup for 1/3 of the time compared to Windows Phone 8.1. I left my house at 6.45PM with 68% battery and when I came home at 10.45PM, I had 10% battery left. Battery Saver was also not as effective as on Windows Phone 8.1 The Battery icon would also appear too small and the indication if it charging would only be visible if one looked directly at the charging icon only to see a slight change to signify it charging.
Additionally, tapping on a notification from the lock screen would not unlock the phone and take me to the app. For example, if my phone is sleeping and I receive a notification from WhatsApp, tapping on it should open WhatsApp and take me to the respective conversation (as far as I know), instead, tapping on it only makes the notification go away and doesn't open WhatsApp or unlock the phone.
Another issue I noticed was that after my phone's battery went below 13%, mobile data refused to work and Edge just stopped loading webpages without any warning. Wasn't able to check if this was the case with WiFi too, since it just slipped my mind to check.

Performance wise, it was not that bad, performed pretty good, app launch times were not that bad. For example, WhatsApp and Microsoft Edge took a couple of seconds to launch. And the time from unlocking the phone to actually seeing something on screen was pretty long and I could see that start being annoying to some people (Me included :winktongue: ).

I think I'm done for now, thanks for reading my article and if you've seen any issues with Windows 10 Mobile on your Lumia 535 which I haven't mentioned, do mention them below.
I've removed Windows 10 Mobile from my Lumia and reverted back to Windows Phone 8.1 since it's my main phone, and the issues just didn't seem worth it for me to risk my daily driver malfunctioning.

Youloufy, signing out. :smile:

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
0246.wall-of-text.png_2D00_610x0.png

I'm joking a bit here, but you should break up that giant wall of text to be less dense and hard to read.
But the info is nice! Most of it at least.

Abdo Spring

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
hi i have proplem useing lumia 535 on windows 10 build 10166 , navigation bar left space everytime i hide it while useing an app , and some games not working , games open but i cant touch anything in it .. action center lags idk what to do i tryed hard reset many times , soft reset ...
sorry for my bad english :)

Nikolai Kuzbanovsky

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Abdo maybe it is the microsd bug?

I have the 535 dual sim but I still have the 10149, and it says my phone is up to date!! How can I upgrade to the 10166?
edit:Are you sure you are not on the 10166? I thing one of the obvious features is that on the "people" live tile now the photos of your contacts are circles sliding on a grid, not the rectangulars that we had. My ms 535 also says that it is on the 10149, but I have the new tile and the new micro sd bug that is mentioned on an other folder.
We await more info!!

There is an other thread with the same problem but I cannot post links yet... :(

Last edited:

Youloufy

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Abdo maybe it is the microsd bug?

I have the 535 dual sim but I still have the 10149, and it says my phone is up to date!! How can I upgrade to the 10166?
edit:Are you sure you are not on the 10166? I thing one of the obvious features is that on the "people" live tile now the photos of your contacts are circles sliding on a grid, not the rectangulars that we had. My ms 535 also says that it is on the 10149, but I have the new tile and the new micro sd bug that is mentioned on an other folder.
We await more info!!

There is an other thread with the same problem but I cannot post links yet... :(

I'm pretty sure that I was running Windows 10 build 10166. It was showing build 10166 in the about section. You could revert back to Windows Phone 8.1 and install Windows 10 again. That might fix your issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes