A Short Summary of Life with Lumia 720 on Windows 10 Mobile Preview

Prasun Banerjee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Had installed Build 10149 about 3 weeks back on my primary phone (Lumia 720) , after many issues decided to do a hard reset 2 days back , got in the infinite loop of spinning gears with sad smiley at the end ... Went back to 8.1 using Software Recovery Tool. Thoughts :

Pros :

1) Loved the look and feel (some inconsistencies in font size aside)
2) Loved the Settings menu arrangement
3) Loved the extended notification list

Cons :

1) SD Card support was so random ... Every time the phone restarted, apps on SD card would not be available ... sometimes for 2 hours , sometimes for 2 days ...
2) Battery Drain : dropping from 50% to 3% in a matter of hours without me doing anything actively
3) Store Beta ... The worst experience of all the features ... Could open it about 5 times in all over the entire span that I was on Windows 10 mobile. Liked the layout of the download queue. Could never figure out why an app that was 5 Mb on Windows Store in 8 becomes 45 Mb in 10.
4) Data Usage ... The data usage counter on my phone said 1.47 GB over that last 30 days on Mobile data, Vodafone finished my 1.5 GB 3G pack in 2 days flat !!! Not sure how and why !!!
5) Random Reboots
6) Tiles going dead ... even basic tiles like Phone and Messaging just stopped responding at times ... Had to go through the application list menu to even open the phone menu
7) People Menu : Just wouldnt open over the last 3 days .... Infact even the people icon next to the number in the call history of the phone stopped responding. Any contact number that was not there in my call list was inaccessible. Couldnt call a number from the messaging thread.
8) OS Update : Finally the straw that broke the camels back ... In trying to update to Build 10166, the phone stayed on 0% Downloading updates for about a week ... tried all sorts of stuff from fiddling with Screen timeout settings to Soft resets ... just wouldnt budge or even terminate the process.
9) Photos : Unbelievably Slow. Deleted photos would show up in albums. Albums wouldnt be visible. Cant choose pics on the Live Tile for Photos.
10) Camera : Quality dropped, Went green at times, Wouldnt click at times.

Nam Long

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
If you can get it back to 8.1 normal state , i think you should give W10 Build 10512 on fast ring a second chance . Many things was fixed and it could be a daily driver at this point for some .

Prasun Banerjee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Have a dodgy Wifi ... Am still struggling to reinstall apps on 8.1 after coming back. (Asphalt 8 is yet to be installed)
And now going back to Build 512 .... Dont have the energy now !!! Will rethink on it after a week or 10 days :)

Nam Long

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I Am still struggling to reinstall apps on 8.1 after coming back. (Asphalt 8 is yet to be installed)
And now going back to Build 512 ..:)

Lol , If you intend to go W10M i suggest you only install systems app, others can wait . Since it usually works better if you do a hard reset after updating to W10M .

Elton Mbofana

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
guys am really struggling going back to wp 8.1. my lumia 925 is stuck at spinning gears. tried windows recovery tool but again stuck with errors such as timed out session and not connecting to server? any suggestions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2