Windows 10 Mobile on a Verizon Icon

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Anyone running the Preview on an Icon or 930 and care to offer your thoughts and suggestions? I plan on getting one of the flagships when they launch (if they launch :sweaty:); but I'd like to toy with the Preview prior to that. I had the Preview on my 1520 in the past, but it had a ton of issues and I reverted to 8.1 and now my microphone doesn't work all to well for some reason.

Let me know how you like the latest Preview on an Icon! Thanks!

BB_Jay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I've been running 10512 for a few days. Had tried a few previous builds, but found them unusable and rolled back to 8.1. But I'm leaning towards keeping this build of WP10.

The biggest issue i have at the moment is that the battery life is less than what I had before on 8.1, but not a deal breaker bad. Also, there is a lag on the lock screen and every once in a while, the start screen freezes and says "loading"...this can last for a few seconds or up to a few minutes.

I've also had some issues with my email accounts not syncing with the new Outlook app, although its behaved pretty well for the past 24 hours. Calender wasn't syncing properly either, though it also seems to now be behaving.

I haven't decided whether I'll stay on this build, although I'm leaning towards it. It's faster than 8.1 on my Icon at least and when it works right, it's pretty awesome IMO.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm running Windows 10 Mobile, on my Icon, as my daily driver.
I thought 10080 was terrible, but stuck with it for a couple weeks and gave a lot of feedback.
I thought 10166 was usable, I used it for the whole time it was available as I couldn't revert.

I think 10512 is great.
Most of my issues, with the previous builds, have been fixed.
I still like a lot of things about WP8.x more, but this is the most stable build yet.
Honestly, if I wasn't so determined to be a vocal member of the Insider community, I would just go back to WP8.1.
Hehehe...
It's like voting for the president, though.
If you don't vote, you can't complain.

If you're going to test W10M, on the Icon, 10512 is the one to install.
JJ

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
10512 is the best out of the builds and for the most part very stable with day to day minor bugs. Battery life is still an issue, it's a lot better than 10166 was but, no where close to 8.1 so keep in mind, towards the mid to end of the day, If you use it heavy, you might need to have a charger around.

Note: for me saying Minor bugs, these bugs are minor in my aspect, they don't bother me but, other bugs might cause you more problem it effects a feature you use, keep that in mind.

I think it's stable enough to use as a daily driver as long as you can upgrade with no issues (one of the biggest problems on it) and live with the level of bugs and battery life.

I also have a Nokia ICON....

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread...I need help guys...Battery Life on the last 2 builds on my ICON are just horrendous unless the battery counter is just "off"...a reboot takes 12%...it shows to drain 6% an hour on standby...if I use the phone, moderately in an hour or so period, it is nearly dead. I have a lot of background stuff turned off...any suggestions until I go back to 8.1 until official release?

I can live with quirks and bugs...tolerating UCONNECT's wonky Bluetooth even but the batter life is just so bad...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread...I need help guys...Battery Life on the last 2 builds on my ICON are just horrendous unless the battery counter is just "off"...a reboot takes 12%...it shows to drain 6% an hour on standby...if I use the phone, moderately in an hour or so period, it is nearly dead. I have a lot of background stuff turned off...any suggestions until I go back to 8.1 until official release?

I can live with quirks and bugs...tolerating UCONNECT's wonky Bluetooth even but the batter life is just so bad...

Check background running apps, you must have something that is chewing up battery. Or it might be time for a hard reset.

I will admit, I see about 65-75% of what 8.1's battery life was. I do run a Pebble Steel watch, so blue-tooth is always on. For background apps, I keep only email, Twitter, Facebook, Pebble Notification app and Cortana. EVERYTHING ELSE IS DISABLED.

Not as good as I would like (by about 5-7pm I might need to have a charger around on a normal day) but, TONS better than 10166 was...

One thing I do notice, when using the phone in a 20 min plus time, the phone gets REALLY hot. When I mean really hot, I mean uncomfortable to hold.

Battery saver is nice when your really low but, when it's enabled it disables all notifications and email, using a minimum amount of power to keep you alive longer. Unless I am in a place where I hit 20% and I wont be near a charger any time soon, I don't enable it...

I manually turn it on as needed.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Check background running apps, you must have something that is chewing up battery. Or it might be time for a hard reset.

I will admit, I see about 65-75% of what 8.1's battery life was. I do run a Pebble Steel watch, so blue-tooth is always on. For background apps, I keep only email, Twitter, Facebook, Pebble Notification app and Cortana. EVERYTHING ELSE IS DISABLED.

Not as good as I would like (by about 5-7pm I might need to have a charger around on a normal day) but, TONS better than 10166 was...

One thing I do notice, when using the phone in a 20 min plus time, the phone gets REALLY hot. When I mean really hot, I mean uncomfortable to hold.

Battery saver is nice when your really low but, when it's enabled it disables all notifications and email, using a minimum amount of power to keep you alive longer. Unless I am in a place where I hit 20% and I wont be near a charger any time soon, I don't enable it...

I manually turn it on as needed.

Thanks...I will check some of these out...I want to avoid going back to XP, er, 8.1...LOL...but may have to...this is also my work phone and I'm oncall 24/7 so need it on and working. I have the Nokia Portal Battery Charger so that helps but not easy to carry around and due to this batter drain, it sucks that portable battery charger dry!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks...I will check some of these out...I want to avoid going back to XP, er, 8.1...LOL...but may have to...this is also my work phone and I'm oncall 24/7 so need it on and working. I have the Nokia Portal Battery Charger so that helps but not easy to carry around and due to this batter drain, it sucks that portable battery charger dry!

Yea, check the background things and others might suggest a hard reset then reinstall but, 10 is not even close to what 8.1 was for battery life at this point, it will get better but, it will take time.

I am also 24/7, it seems always on call, I will get calls at 2am and it some weeks it's common. I just plan accordingly, if I am below 50% and it's mid day, I try to make sure I find a charger.

If battery life is THAT important and you cant always access a charger, my advice would be to roll back and wait on it a little longer.

I'm a server admin, so there is ALWAYS a USB port somewhere :)

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Yea, check the background things and others might suggest a hard reset then reinstall but, 10 is not even close to what 8.1 was for battery life at this point, it will get better but, it will take time.

I am also 24/7, it seems always on call, I will get calls at 2am and it some weeks it's common. I just plan accordingly, if I am below 50% and it's mid day, I try to make sure I find a charger.

If battery life is THAT important and you cant always access a charger, my advice would be to roll back and wait on it a little longer.

I'm a server admin, so there is ALWAYS a USB port somewhere :)

I also noticed that wireless charging is much slower on Windows 10 Mobile...could be because of the battery drain...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I also noticed that wireless charging is much slower on Windows 10 Mobile...could be because of the battery drain...

Can't say that but, I have wireless chargers everywhere, so when I come to my desk, I drop it on the wireless charger, I have one in my work office and my home office. (You can get cheapo ones for like $3-5 on ebay, so if you lose them, no biggie).

I was at 68% and dropped it on the charger in 35-40 or so min, it was at 100% but, could of been less, I was not watching it... so, not too bad but, not 8.1 levels.

Again, if you NEED 8.1 levels of battery life, your best bet is to roll back. Used a few dev previews, even back in the 8.1 preview days, battery life was never a strong point of dev previews...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Can't say that but, I have wireless chargers everywhere, so when I come to my desk, I drop it on the wireless charger, I have one in my work office and my home office. (You can get cheapo ones for like $3-5 on ebay, so if you lose them, no biggie).

I was at 68% and dropped it on the charger in 35-40 or so min, it was at 100% but, could of been less, I was not watching it... so, not too bad but, not 8.1 levels.

Again, if you NEED 8.1 levels of battery life, your best bet is to roll back. Used a few dev previews, even back in the 8.1 preview days, battery life was never a strong point of dev previews...

For sure, Battery Life wasn't like top notch in 8.1...I still charged overnight and again at lunch...For a while, I thought it was the Otterbox that was causing slow charging but tried a different case and same results. So may go back to Otterbox...got to take care of this puppy since I can't get new ones any more.

Side note...are you nervous that Verizon may be left out of the Flagship phones? Rumors state only two models and worried they may not make an AT&T and Verizon both.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Side note...are you nervous that Verizon may be left out of the Flagship phones? Rumors state only two models and worried they may not make an AT&T and Verizon both.

Good luck on the battery thing, Just keep that in mind about the preview week on battery, you might be able to tweak it a little but, getting an extra day, is not going to happen, even 4-5 hours might be spotty..

Am I nervous about Verizon ? At this point no. Rumor is rumor at this point, it's dried up, no one really knows crap and it's all a guessing game. Verizon has picked up a "clamed" higher end phone (the HTC), so will they go for a flagship, I am sure they will. Will they get one of these models who knows ?

Sure they look cool but, I am at a holding pattern right now. I need to see if Microsoft's plan actually works with Universal apps and Android apps to WP actually works. I've been with WIndows Mobile, PocketPC, etc from Verson 1.0 and the biggest problem with WP is the apps. This needs to be closer to resolved before I get a new WP device.

So right now, I plan on sticking with the ICON for a while longer...It's still a flagship, it's got one of the best camera on any phone and it's pretty stylish as WP devices go, it's a win-win STILL a year later...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duncekatie39