Do you think w10m is going to save windows phone?

Amanda Que

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I really think it's not about the operating system. Windows Phone are always disappointing for it's slow responding and easy crashing

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I really think it's not about the operating system. Windows Phone are always disappointing for it's slow responding and easy crashing

Um, I think you have a broken phone. Lumia phones are generally known for their excellent build quality, fast and smooth performance and excellent stability. They stand out particularly in those areas. You really need to visit your Nokia Care outlet to get yours fixed.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Why do you think Apple is so incredibly successful with the iPhone? It's not because of the incredible, breakthrough features, because it doesn't have any. All of its features are always last to the game. Great hardware? Sure, but it's not like Lumia isn't a great hardware. The reason why iPhone is so great is because of their marketing team, they know how to arouse the public and make them spend 24 hours in line for a phone that other OEMs released 2 years ago. Just watch Apple's videos and keynotes, their marketing team is incredible and if Microsoft wants to survive in mobile industry, they have to restructure their entire marketing team or hire an outside firm. Apple also has a great retail system, where as when you walk into a Microsoft Store, all of the employees have facial expressions as if they don't want to be there at all. Walk to a phone stand and good luck getting anyone to help you.

And maybe a guy with a British accent. lol.

montahchos

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I previously used Lumia 625 but then moved back to android because there are a lot things that frustrated me about Windows phone (or mobile in the future)

Honestly, i love lumia products, it has beautiful design. I also like WP minimalistic UI (but not W10M UI).
But when it comes to the competition, the answer is : NO, the W10M would not save the windows phone.

Here's my thoughts after experienced windows phone (and i believe there will be not so many drastic changes from WP to W10M)

1. I don't see any differences between a flagship windows phone with a low-entry/mid-entry windows phone. There are no special features that differentiate a flagship and a mid/low-entry except for better camera and build quality. I also don't feel much different in terms of performance.

2. There are no variation in windows phone. Samsung S6 is not same with Sony Z4 or LG G4 although they are still the same android. But HTC one WP version, or alcatel WP, with Lumia are alike. Very little reasons to buy a non-lumia windows phone.

3. Action center on WP actually doesn't do any actions at all except only showing notifications from apps. You can't reply text, or dismiss an alarm, or turn off a function, or see any progress bar, or delete an email.

4. Browsing internet on WP are very horrible experience, and i don't want to experience it anymore.

5. W10M UI is boring compared to Android material design or iOS. The color choices, fonts, and design language need to be refreshed. It is feels like an OS for geeks. Microsoft should stop called it Modern UI.

6. WP features are just left very behind compared to android and iOS. Why would i buy a Windows phone when it can't do a lot things that others can do. UI smoothness is just a bonus, as along my phone can do what i need to do and improve my productivity that WP failed to deliver.

7. Microsoft advertisement for WP is not cool. Ever asking your non-tech friend about Windows 10 mobile? People thing that using iPhone or Samsung Galaxy is cool, or Sony for its water-proof phone, or Asus for its cheap powerful phone, but i never see nokia/microsoft actually boast something about Lumia.

That's it! an opinion from a non-WP ******. It's all about consumer opinion. It is useless when you make a powerful OS but nobody know about that. Microsoft must build a good image in public about Windows 10 Mobile. To make a good opinions, of course Microsoft must advertise a lot and bring many features that can be compared with other competitors. I maybe will switch back to Windows Mobile if there are interesting features that not available in other OS.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Amanda Que: I agree with AndyCalling: if your Windows phone keeps crashing there is something wrong with it. They (and the WP8.1 OS) are famous for their stability. I've never had a Windows phone crash.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Why do you think Apple is so incredibly successful with the iPhone? It's not because of the incredible, breakthrough features, because it doesn't have any. All of its features are always last to the game. Great hardware? Sure, but it's not like Lumia isn't a great hardware. The reason why iPhone is so great is because of their marketing team, they know how to arouse the public and make them spend 24 hours in line for a phone that other OEMs released 2 years ago. Just watch Apple's videos and keynotes, their marketing team is incredible and if Microsoft wants to survive in mobile industry, they have to restructure their entire marketing team or hire an outside firm. Apple also has a great retail system, where as when you walk into a Microsoft Store, all of the employees have facial expressions as if they don't want to be there at all. Walk to a phone stand and good luck getting anyone to help you.

And maybe a guy with a British accent. lol.

I'd say Apple is successful because they have the "complete package", you can have all the marketing you want but if the hardware lags behind for the times, the OS is always in "BETA" mode/lacks features or you are slow to deliver then it is a recipe for failure, to reinvent is great but at the expense of the platform is not so great, to me MS didn't envision far enough ahead which should have been second nature to a company of their stature.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd say Apple is successful because they have the "complete package", you can have all the marketing you want but if the hardware lags behind for the times, the OS is always in "BETA" mode/lacks features or you are slow to deliver then it is a recipe for failure, to reinvent is great but at the expense of the platform is not so great, to me MS didn't envision far enough ahead which should have been second nature to a company of their stature.

I've said the same thing. It is indeed true the Apple's marketing is second to none and certainly contributes to their financial success, but no amount of marketing will work as well as Apple's system without a product to back it up. Apple indeed offers a well-functioning complete system. While not the cheapest, it works, and that's what consumers want.

jdpg2

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I think one issue is many people are still upgrading from WM8.1 to WM10 or between versions. The only way to really see how a WM10 performs is do a phone reset. The OS is getting much better, unfortunately their upgrade process SUCKS... do a clean phone reset it makes a world of a difference.

Bao Li

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but I really don't care what OS I'm running. Apps aren't a huge factor for me as the ones I use are available on all operating systems. The only reason I have a Windows Phone right now is the Lumia 1020 camera, it's a feature that no other phone has and I'll probably use it until I break it. Believe me, if a Blackberry had the best camera, I'd be using one right now.

Chuco512

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
It probably would if MS would definitely push out their own product and quit helping their competitors by bettering their MS apps on iOS and Android. Too major apps still shy away from WP. Until they fixed their developer app area. I don't see it kicking off too great like previous versions. I loved Windows Phone but just got tired of all the actual apps I use go away from MS.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
1. I think MS need to stop providing "exclusive" phone models to specific carriers. Not a problem if an unlocked phone is used but not many people actually opt for that.
2. The point-of-purchase retailers also need to do more to promote WP to the public. I rarely see WP on display or being offered as an alternative. They immediately offer iPhone or Android.
3. Better support by carriers & Microsoft to ALL regions of the global market.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
MS have built a great brand in the Surface range. As enterprise shifts to Windows 10 over the next 12 months and as MS paint a clear picture that it is a viable OS that is secure, fast, easy to deploy and as people see continuum work well then I feel MS will unleash the Surface Phone. Right now its too early as they are just at the sort of start point with thier long term strategy. Will they abandon the phone? No they cant afford to, will they leverage thier existing userbase into exploring WP as an option, absolutely, i think its too early for that to happen. The 2 phones coming out are not going to make the kind of impact MS would be hoping they do simply because of the brand, lack of Intel processors (Intel are desperate to get into the mobile space) and unfinished dektop OS, unfinished browser, even Office is buggy on windows 10. In short I dont think W10M will save WP - I think MS will save WP.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I LOVE WP's, but at this point, no. My last WP was the 830, and that thing was as slow as molasses. Giving a Flex 2 a try now. If MS does come out with this so called flagship, I will be right there, first in line.

angelblast1997

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
NO.And it will stay like that as long as Microsoft keeps treating it as a Economy class and not First class. I understand Windows 10 desktop is Microsoft's main priority because it is their number one product. But even Microsoft neglects it in a way.

And I dont want Windows Phone to die, because I love WP but they need a whole new strategy. Most smartphones owners dont use it for productivity but for consumption and entertainment, Microsoft is barking at the wrong tree and humping the wrong leg.

Grand Occultist

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Depends on how well it works with the new hardware. Its ok on my 1520 but i was honestly hoping for something a little better. Will see how we go with the new hardware, what it can do etc. If it does not impress i will reluctantly go iPhone =( ..Never will go back to android!

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
This is why I get annoyed with people complaining about the beta Windows 10 Mobile, you are being granted a privilege to test and shape it's future. It was the same with Win 10 desktop, it got delays, false starts and missing features but it arrived and it's being lauded. Windows 10 mobile is a more complicated beast as they have to work with disparate hardware both now and future devices. The mobile hardware market is very fragmented compared to Windows. The underlying hardware has no common enumeration bus which acts as a translator for peripherals (very simplestic but you get the idea). If anyone had been around computers in the 80s and 90s you'll understand what I mean, Win 95 changed a lot of that for the better.

You have to remember MS is on record stating they are no longer concentrating on the current mobile market, they've ceded that to Android and iOS. Basically they are now bettering on the next generation of mobility devices which is where continuum comes into the equation. It's a massive loss of face for them and I'd say one of their biggest gambles in the history of MS.

However you cannot expect nearly a decade of rot to vanish overnight, I've been with MS for mobiles since Windows Mobile. I'm a mobile worker than needs a phone that can manage my day-to-day diary. All phones can do that, but in 2002-2008 MS was only the real option. I skipped WP 7 and bought a Lumia 920. Why this over the competition? It's really simple I wanted security, and in business that's critical to what I do. I also need to be able to review documents and the SatNav was a useful feature. iOS required iTunes to manage the phone and I will not allow that near Windows especially since it can be a security liability.

Where do I stand today? I'm using a Lumia 930, it's powerful enough to do what I need. I'm a classic case of business first user who needs a sufficiently powerful phone that's stable. I don't play much games, nor do I like using social media on my phone as they can be battery hogs. A lot of photographers, models and other clients are often impressed by the display even outdoors and the images it produces but when I mention it's a MS device their reactions are rather amusing think Sodium and water mixing.

When I was supporting Android, iOS and Windows Phone Android took up most of the case calls and many of those couldn't be resolved easily either without a wipe and rebuild or firmware upgrade if there was one. When there was a security update the company was forced to ditch over 100 handsets because they was no longer secure that's why they went with iPhones and Windows Phone. In the end they are standardising on Windows Phone because it's cheap to deploy and maintain.

Remember Windows Phone isn't all about the consumer market, there is a large business market that is ever evolving and if business sees a phone that's easily integrated into a existing domain then they'll switch to it. They are not going to gain large market shares, but they will continue to produce phones and productivity devices. The other thing to remember about MS they've always been about the long game. Also they have to consider the larger picture, the Qualcomm 820 chip is only just becoming available in large numbers. MS has always been about stability first rather than gambling with unknown silicon. Android users tend to be the guinea pigs when it comes to testing new hardware and software whereas Apple prefers an iterative approach.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2