Refrain from Closing Apps for "Better Performance"

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks,

Back in 8.1 if you're obsessive compulsive like me, we would habitually close apps by pressing the back button or swiping the app down to close it. LOL!!

I have observed that simple apps like Calculator, Alarms & Clock in Windows 10 now have a splash screen.
In 8.1 the only built in app that had a splash screen was Calendar and Battery Saver.

Watching the splash screen for a second or two does add up and I have observed that if I leave the app suspended, it actually almost instantly resumes than if I manually close it.

So now I'm training myself to not habitually close apps so that I don't have to deal with the splash screen. Takes a little getting used to.
Right now, the only apps I leave suspended are Messaging, People, OneNote, Calculator, Alarms & Clock, Outlook Calendar and Settings.

There is no negative impact to performance in my experience of using W10M for about a month now.

I hope MS can iron out launching of apps to the point where it's as fast as the Calendar app in 8.1
Here's hoping.

I do wish However, that MS will make the back button actually close the app and the Windows button suspend the app.

Last edited:

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Closing apps from the memory, is sooooo Android!

Windows Phone 10, will only allow a maximum of around 10 apps in the background, and actually, they are doing nothing!
Just don't close them, and you will benifit of the fact that the apps you use most, will start-up fastest.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I know for a fact that they don't really do anything when it is suspended. I'm just talking about me being obsessive compulsive. I want it to not be there.

Lol 😁

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
They still sit in a memory. I noticed on several occasions, although it was 10512, that when I could not open an app or even a setting, it helped to kick out those suspended apps and I could open the app. My interpretation is that OS would not kick them out when it had not enough memory to proceed with the new app.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I've noticed a little bit of performance hit if I have too many apps open on my 1520. Normally closing all the apps restores the snappiness.

However, each build gives more stability and performance.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't use any of the car dashboard apps when driving so hate a cluttered group of apps in the background. It's easier to switch between one Gps map app and one music app than swiping through multiple apps. Unfortunately searching for a place using Cortana before driving sometimes opens up multiple apps for each step in getting to the destination Gps app, so gotta close those.

Yes, my remote controls on the coffee table must be perfectly aligned and in their correct spots.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that's impossible for me. I'm hard wired to close all apps, got used to do it from all the OSes I had before. Even if it doesn't affect battery and performance at all I just can't leave them.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Performance wasn't affected back in WP7.x and WP8.0. There is a noticeable performance drop off you don't close old apps on WP8.1 and especially in the current builds of W10M.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
This would be a mistake, it was like this in 8.0 and changed in 8.1. It was like that in 8.0 because there was no other way to close the app.
But you had an easy way to close the currently running app if you were done with it (back button) and you had a way to keep it suspended (Windows button). Now both will do the same. How is that better?

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
But you had an easy way to close the currently running app if you were done with it (back button) and you had a way to keep it suspended (Windows button). Now both will do the same. How is that better?

It is better in the way that users will understand (sooner or later) that closing apps makes no sense so it should be discouraged. Educating users is important in my opinion. If you want to close an app just keep back pressed instead of pressing it N times, it is faster, or as fast, anyways.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I have the same illness dude.. :/
It's called android closing-all-apps syndrome!

I'm also trying to let the apps without closing them but I simply can't!
I'm closing 1 year and a couple of months away from Android and I simply can't help it but close any app presented in the app switcher..

Instead of pressing the win key or back button repeatedly, I kinda long press the back button for 1 and something second, releasing my finger before the animation appear and instantly swiping downwards..! (in other words catching the app before zooming out on the app switcher) :/

I swear I'm trying to just let the apps rest in the app switcher but it is impossible :(
My friend got an iPhone 6 last month and he is already able to get over the android closing-all-apps syndrome!

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
It is better in the way that users will understand (sooner or later) that closing apps makes no sense so it should be discouraged. Educating users is important in my opinion. If you want to close an app just keep back pressed instead of pressing it N times, it is faster, or as fast, anyways.
It is not faster if you have to search for it among ten other apps which I end up closing anyway. Because if I don't I cannot open another app, because there's a bug in OS that prevents the suspended apps from being closed automatically when needed. And yes, I still prefer it the old way.

erfanjafar

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have the same illness dude.. :/
It's called android closing-all-apps syndrome!

I'm also trying to let the apps without closing them but I simply can't!
I'm closing 1 year and a couple of months away from Android and I simply can't help it but close any app presented in the app switcher..

Instead of pressing the win key or back button repeatedly, I kinda long press the back button for 1 and something second, releasing my finger before the animation appear and instantly swiping downwards..! (in other words catching the app before zooming out on the app switcher) :/

I swear I'm trying to just let the apps rest in the app switcher but it is impossible :(
My friend got an iPhone 6 last month and he is already able to get over the android closing-all-apps syndrome!

I pledge to fight this "android closing-all-apps syndrome!" and let my apps live.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

It was better in 8.0 update 3. Apps closed when you backed out of them but you still have the option of closing them manually in the task switcher. 8.1 screwed it up with this resuming nonsense.

It's still completely idiotic for the calendar, calculator, etc to have a splash screen. In 8.0 they just opened. Remember when one of the most impressive things about WP was the fluidity?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
It's still completely idiotic for the calendar, calculator, etc to have a splash screen. In 8.0 they just opened. Remember when one of the most impressive things about WP was the fluidity?
I just can't believe that we still don't have instant app opening without any splash or loading screens today. In the era where x64 octa-core processors are almost old tech we still have to wait for the most basic tasks. And as you mentioned, it's stupid because the apps are as basic as you can get. If calculator can't open instantly without a splash screen, what am I to expect from some multi-gigabyte games?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss