Should I update Icon to W10 Mobile?

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I have an Icon on VZW - it is my daily driver and only phone. I've read that W10 Mobile is good enough for daily use but I am very cautious. I bricked my last phone running 8.1 preview a year ago.

Has anyone heard of issues of phones locking up / bricking? If so, will the recovery tool bring it back to life?

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I would say yes, without thinking twice, using it sa daily driver on my 930 since build 512 without any serious issue, some minor issues here and there and so great battery life, but that's something I can live with... Can't even imagine myself switching back to 8.1 :D

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Will the recovery tool save me if I have issues?

Also, I hear I should do a hard reset, then do the preview update, then do another hard reset. Is that accurate?

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I successfully recovered my 925 twice and friend's 640XL as well so basically there is nothing to worry about, just back up important stuff...

No! Upade it and if you'll get some problems do it, otherwise you don't need to format it all...

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
It all varies from different devices. My daily driver 925 had it and ran okay (I was okay with the resuming......... Loading........ screen that would last for about a minute) but the deal breaker for me was the poor battery life. My phone could barely last 6 hours before it was running on fumes (down to 15% from 5AM to 3PM) with nothing heavy running in the background. Since I rolled back to 8.1, my battery life is back where it should be (down to 83% in 10 hours).

Also, both my 925 & 635 running 10536 would heat up to where it was hot to touch. At one point, I placed my phone in front of an A/C vent in my car to cool it off. So not trying to scare you or deter you, just giving you some things to think about before you install build 10536.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the feedback. Honestly; my Icon has never gotten great battery life (of maybe I use it too much). On a slow day, I can get through an entire day (6am - 9pm) before I need to charge. But most days, I am under 30% by 3pm and charge it before I head home for the day. Days when I work out and stream music, it can be under 30% around lunch time.

The overheating worries me because I feel like it already gets too hot. I am going to give it a shot - I can always roll back if I need to. I've been wanting to check out W10 for a while and can't wait any longer.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have an Icon from VZW as well. The very first 2-3 builds I tried but those were really new and really buggy. So went back to 8.1 a few times. The last 3 builds have been the best thus far. This one though kinda problematic, for me anyway. Lost the OEM messaging tile, have to look for it in the store in case yours is missing. Recently been having problems send/recieving pics, could be a carrier problem cause my wife had the same problem with her galaxy s5. This one was different because it was a 2 in 1 build. My battery gets hot usually when I'm gaming or if it's been hanging up with other apps. Make sure your recovery tool up up to date so you don't have any hang ups if you have to revert back to 8.1. Good luck.

Tech Pilot

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I have had a Verizon 929 Icon for all of 3 days, but the first thing I did was upgrade it to Windows 10 (joined the slow ring).

The only issue I am having is that the touchscreen suddenly won't accept touch. When that happens, I have to hold the power button down for 10 secs. to shut down the phone, then, once it reboots, it's fine. Happens at least once a day. Came here hoping to find a discussion of others having this same issue, but so far, no one has mentioned.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
No touch problems, I'm on fast ring, possibly different problems per ring choice. Power button + volume down is a soft reset.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, go for it. And the hard reset after installation isn't mandatory, but recommended. Because stuff usually doesn't work well after upgrading.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate all the feedback - seems like the most recent build is good for most people. I am updating now on the slow ring. I will give it a day or so and consider a hard reset if I notice any issues.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The current and previous builds were unusable on my 920 before hard resets. 10536's biggest improvement for me is no more "Loading" screen taking minutes to open the Start screen.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree; so far my biggest complaint is the loading that seems to happen almost every time go to the start screen. I may do a factory reset and see if that helps. I am also having MMS issues.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I had to reset my phone last night because of the mms problems. Works now, as for the loading, I used to have folders but got rid of them. There was some talk some time ago about the folders causing the loading problem.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
When you say reset do you mean factory reset? Because I've considered doing that to see if I get better overall performance. It definitely is not buttery smooth like I am used to with WP8.1.

The folders comment is interesting. I have a handful or so of them - I would hate to get rid of them.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes factory reset or hard reset. Usually in some cases will get rid of bugs after an update but not everybody usually has to do it. You'll know if you had your phone for a good while, things that may not be working like once before and such. I had to do the same with my folders, if you see it loading all the time once you unlock your phone, it could be the folders. Only way to check it to not use the folders anymore, you know, process of elimination.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon