Lost synced text messages

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
No I didn't try the contacts+message backup. I've never had any issues with microsoft's cloud-based message backup feature. I'm certainly not rolling back again to try that, now.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Update: I'm seeing my messaging history SLOWLY creeping back. As in, a day's worth of messaging (from over a year ago) is taking an hour to show up. Hmmm... this could take a while. But, at least I'm seeing something. I'd feel a lot better knowing that they haven't all been "deleted".

I am getting a trickle too. At this rate it may take 3-4 days to get them back. Has anyone rolled back to 8.1, restored from backup, wait for all texts, then update to 10572?

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I posted ad-nauseam about this in the last build. Couldn't understand why more folks weren't affected.
AND, the slow syncing of 2+ years of texting coincided with the messaging app draining the battery on my 1520.

It finally caught up. About 3 days. Battery returned to normal and 10549 settled in nicely.
Loaded this new build on a 640, just to avoid messing up the sweet running 1520.
Ironically, the messaging app synced much quicker, and without battery drama.

Still, I'm loving the new functionality of the messaging app. Folding in Skype, and soon texting from desktop........
These current snags are the price for what I believe is going to be a fantastic new messaging experience.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So far the only messages that have been downloaded are from Oct. 21, 2014 to November 13, 2014... no slow downloading or anything, just didn't sync anything else. My text message sync is set to "any time"

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I did choose 30 days, so that I could get current. Then once that succeeded, I changed to Anytime, and let it backfill.

That also gave me a chance to open recent threads and scroll up as far as the 30 days had synced. This would trigger that specific thread to start syncing further. I kind of felt I was pushing things manually. :)

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
The entirety of yesterday I only synced from 8/12 to 8/30 of 2014!

This morning, I was still only showing 8/30/2014. However, there has been a "flurry" of activity and I am now synced as far as 9/30/2014 in only a few hours. So... still slow, but showing progress. It seems to happen in bursts, and I had a long time with no syncing activity whatsoever.

Clinton_O

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I posted ad-nauseam about this in the last build. Couldn't understand why more folks weren't affected.
AND, the slow syncing of 2+ years of texting coincided with the messaging app draining the battery on my 1520.

It finally caught up. About 3 days. Battery returned to normal and 10549 settled in nicely.
Loaded this new build on a 640, just to avoid messing up the sweet running 1520.
Ironically, the messaging app synced much quicker, and without battery drama.

Still, I'm loving the new functionality of the messaging app. Folding in Skype, and soon texting from desktop........
These current snags are the price for what I believe is going to be a fantastic new messaging experience.

I had the same problem when i restored for last build. When i was still on 8.1 I managed to find a way to force it to sync faster but it was highly annoying. I had the issue where it kept saying my microsoft account wouldnt sync in the account settings, everytime i forced it to sync it would sync text mesages as well but it would only do like 1-3 weeks at a time.

The restore is just slow as hell for some reason. We need a back up and restore more like ios

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't be so quick to look at work-arounds for this issue. I wonder is some of this is related to the new messager integration. Perhaps they're re-syncing to a different database or downloading and resyncing elsewhere for access to PC messaging. I'm comfortable waiting, so long as I know I'm not losing my data.

Bnik

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here. Lumia 1520. So far none of my messages have been synced.
Account settings shows mailbox sync settings constantly greyed out in a sync loop.
Battery draining very rapidly, at times between 26% & 46% per hour.
Device ranges between warm and hot.
This morning I shut off sync messages and the battery and heat issues have gone away.

There must be a problem with the message syncing. Maybe due to Cortana texting.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys are on to something. I suspect there are changes taking place on client AND server side right now. There are a lot of things that go into these added features that are going to be a part of the Windows 10 eco system. So there really isn't some magic button we click, or a reset\restore routine on our "Preview Build phones" that suddenly will unclog the messaging pipes. I suspect it will just suddenly start working and we will all think it was the last thing we did that fixed it. :)

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue on 10549, only this time, it takes a LOT longer. Last time, I also got errors from the MS server (dub403-m.hotmail.com) ; when you go in outlook and check your MS/main account, you will see that it's syncing all the time (you can go in People, settings and see your account syncing forever too).

Now my default server on all Lumias is dub407. And when on 10549 at least all recent SMS got synced instantly, this time, not at all. It syncs well between my 1020 (8.1) and 640 (10549) though.

I really believe there's a glitch server side. For 10549, I installed it both on my 535 and 640. No issue at all on the 535 (instant restore for both SIMs) and it took 2 days for the 640 (and I HR/resintalled many times on the 640 with no change).

Now only the 535 is running the 10572 build and it's its turn to get stuck lol.

Benjec83

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same thing, nothing past a few messages in 2013. Out of curiosity I reset an old phone I had, running 8.1. It's loaded all of my messages back again. So they still exist, just not syncing to this build

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same thing, nothing past a few messages in 2013. Out of curiosity I reset an old phone I had, running 8.1. It's loaded all of my messages back again. So they still exist, just not syncing to this build

That's good to know. While I assumed it's a server side issue and nothing was actually deleted, it's nice for someone to confirm that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes