10581 with nokia 1020 - battery life still pretty poor?

jack1010

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I also got similarly poor battery life on 1020 with 10581, clearly much worse than on 8.1. The charging rate is now extremely slow, so it makes the matter really bad. :unhappysweat:

I migrated directly from 8.1 to 10581. Edge and Maps crash on opening. So the update has not really worked for me.

Some have suggested that hard reset can solve at least edge and maps crash but that would loose all data. Has anyone tried hard reset to check on the battery life? Does hard reset deletes WhatsApp chat history?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I also got similarly poor battery life on 1020 with 10581, clearly much worse than on 8.1. The charging rate is now extremely slow, so it makes the matter really bad. :unhappysweat:

I migrated directly from 8.1 to 10581. Edge and Maps crash on opening. So the update has not really worked for me.

Some have suggested that hard reset can solve at least edge and maps crash but that would loose all data. Has anyone tried hard reset to check on the battery life? Does hard reset deletes WhatsApp chat history?

Make a backup through the Settings then Hard reset ;when it asks tap on Restore backup. You'll never loose nothing. I did it at last and resolved a lot of iussues.
You DO backup WhastApp chat by yourself: explore watsapp setting menu, you'll find everything. When the phone will install it again, it asks to restore the backup.
It takes a lot to reinstall all apps in wi-fi, but the results are good

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Grapich Processing Unit, same as CPU. Every Lumia as a processor (Qualcomm Snapdragon) in different version according to model. Every Processor has more units inside: the CPU , the memory control, the communication control and the gpu Adreno (the same of a video card in a pc / laptop)

So, System says the CPU battery usage for main system core, and GPU says the video subsystem battery usage (video rendering, graphics drawing, visual effects, transition, AntiAliasing ecc.ecc., as- the very first smartphone even produced - But you can see the 2 usages separatelly now)

I should have clarified better; if im not using the phone, except to check for missed texts etc, why is the usage so high and draining my battery. Something clearly isnt right with the builds, as im not the only one with issues. EVERYTHING is turned off yet the GPU is burning through my battery. Theres been no difference between clean install and restore VS update from 8.1. NO, i shouldnt have to run without a backup, clean install. Should be waaaaayyyy past that point by now, <60 days from official release. (in case anyone wanted to use that as a reason)

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I also experience slow recharge waits in the car.. maybe a limit on the amps (15? max) and the usb chargers.. but i'm using those more advanced chargers, that i think can distrubute as much as 7 amps to one port or even them out if more than 1.. i get maybe 4% back on a 30 minute commute (while using the phone for calls for a few mins).. other days it seems faster maybe 8% back.. one time 10% on a fluke i think.. the avg is only 4-5% over 30 mins, though insider pro will claim 20-33% charge rate.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Well for my Lumia 1020 I was getting at least half-way good battery usage until last Thursday and then it just tanked. I finally decided to figure out what was going on and I noticed that it was just burning through my data and indicated that it was constantly downloading/uploading on my mobile data connection (it was using about 5mb per minute and had been doing that since Thursday). I have no idea what was using the data, but I started to switch off everything and finally got down to everything being switched off (apps, wifi, bt, etc) except for location and mobile data and it was still burning through the data. Which was in turn affecting my battery life drastically.

So I turned off location and magically the data just stopped and it went back to normal. I turned everything back on except for location and monitored the data usage and it was no longer eating up data. Seeing that it was stable I decided to turn location back on and for whatever reason it has so far stayed normal. I'm still monitoring it, but my battery life has dramatically increased to be better than before this started on Thursday. I don't know if anyone else wants to give this a shot or if they are even experiencing the same issue, but it has at least helped me. I'm still monitoring though and will post an update if it changes or if I'm able to track down the offending app (something that uses location, but then again what doesn't?).

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My 1020 battery life on WP8.1 had gotten poor over the past several months (couldn't get through a day with minimal usage), but on W10M is significantly worse. I can barely get through half a day now. And if i'm using it heavy, I can literally almost watch the battery percentage tick down. If I manage to get a L950, first "accessory" i'm buying is a spare battery!

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
So i have interesting results from some recent testing..

As i've been able to show, my nokia 1020 with everything installed/pinned and set up on windows 10 (now 10581.11) discharges at the rate of about 7% per hour, basically not touching it.

I picked up two new nokia 929 phones..

On the one phone i ran a test.. installed all my apps/settings.. did the same test... it STILL discharges at the rate of about 7% per hour (win 10).

So on my fiances 929, i reinstalled from her backup to windows 8.1 (clean install + backup).. hers only discharged at the rate of 1% per hour.

I then ran the upgrade to windows 10 and this became 2% per hour.

So basically comparing her phone to mine (now both on nokia 929, new phones), she drops 2% an hour (1% worse than windows 8.1) and i drop 7% (i hadnt tested mine on win 8.1 so i'd guess its about 6%).

Clearly an app is causing this drop.. i guess its painful trial and error to figure out which app(s) are doing this.

We are also experiencing issues with charging on these new 929 phones.. most likely because the ebay vendor has liquidation stock that had battery issues.. though oddly, the discharge rates seem fine, but when charging we both get the error about the usb charger is charging slowly change the cable etc.. sometimes when charging the rate actually drops.. usually just horribly slow.. like mine all night, from 60% to 87%, though today suddenly both phones seem to be charging normally. I'm likely returning and looking for another.

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
More trial and error.. I determined that the cause of my 7% per hour drop is actually from adding my gmail account to the outlook app. (i also had exchange associated, but removed it, it still drained at 7%)

I'm not 100% if its because i was syncing around 8 or 9 folders or not. I had initially pinned a bunch of those folders to the start screen. In my testing i removed the pins alone.. this made no difference.

I didnt remove any of my synced folders in the testing. I simply removed the whole gmail account.

So it seems to me, the likely culprit is the size of my gmail account.. and/or syncing too many folders.
Its a bit ridiculous though, I really do need to keep track of some of them.. to reduce the functionality of the phone just to save battery drain is not a good thing.

In the the meantime i may experiment with other gmail/outlook settings to see if i can reduce the drain. I had previously had it set to download email as new content arrives (i believe).. i may try increasing the period to like 2 hours just to prove this is the cause.. however, again, this is an unsatisfactory solution to the problem, especially when it comes to notifications.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
open Skype and make sure you are signed out unless using it, I have 1020 and it has settled really well getting good battery life, , I keep wifi and Bluetooth off unless using them, also disabled quite a few un-needed apps in battery saver

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar