01-20-2016 06:44 PM
50 12
tools
    I'm trying to get a handle on other people with the nokia 1020 and how their typical battery life has been with the mobile 10 and maybe more specifically with 10581, though i dont think its any different than 10572 or previous builds..

start a day at 9am with 100% battery, by 5pm its often 20%, this is with very minimal checking of emails, maybe 20 mins of use throughout the whole day..Insider app shows discharge rates of -4 to -9 per hour, though some periods only -1 or -2 all depends. ###With 8.1 i'd have around 60% by 5pm on avg. ####

Another Example today: 1030am, 95%, by 1210pm i'm sitting 84% (and hadnt touched the phone at all during this period, which means about 54% by days end lost if i didnt touch the phone at all).

Updated:
    Second 1.5 hour test, this time with BT off.. at start was 73% at finish was 62.. this is 7.33% per hour (no usage) same as with BT on.

After 6 hours, i'm sitting at 48% and having only used the phone for a grand total of maybe 5-8 minutes throughout the whole day.

**end of 8 hour period.. 17% left, thats with one 3 minute phone call and having texted and checked email for maybe 10 minutes out of the day

Coworker with an iphone 6 (not a 6, or 6s or plus) reports they are usually around 55% by end of a work day with medium use (whereas me, nokia 1020 + medium use, 20-30% left on win10 mobile)
    **Coworker with the larger iphone 6 plus has about 60-65% at days end.

I have email set at defaults in terms of exchange and gmail syncing (and i have tried changing these in the past and hasnt helped). This shows 63% usage in battery saver info screen.

**charge rate with a decent usb charger in car on way home over 30 minutes, i can get 10% back.. however, other times i'm lucky to get 2-4% for some reason.

I have wifi and bluetooth turned on, but bt is not in use (bt off no difference). This is on straight talk LTE.

Phone is 2 years old.
    Last edited by markm75; 11-04-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    11-03-2015 11:09 AM
    Are you sure your core apps are ALL updated? open the store -> My donloads -> Check updates.
    And BT MUST be disabled if not in use! Battery drain + security iussue
    11-03-2015 11:13 AM
    Are you sure your core apps are ALL updated? open the store -> My donloads -> Check updates.
    And BT MUST be disabled if not in use! Battery drain + security iussue
    Yep they are all up to date.

I'll try turning off the bluetooth to see how much of a change this makes.
    11-03-2015 11:38 AM
    Yep they are all up to date.

I'll try turning off the bluetooth to see how much of a change this makes.
    Update..

Second 1.5 hour test, this time with BT off.. at start was 73% at finish was 62.. this is 7.33% per hour (no usage)

First 1.5 hour test was IDENTICAL, same rate and with BT on.

So in my isolated test, BT being on (and not active or connected to any BT devices), the battery drain / discharge rate is still 7.33% per hour and this is with Zero usage.

After 6 hours, i'm sitting at 48% and having only used the phone for a grand total of maybe 5-8 minutes throughout the whole day.

Coworker with an iphone 6 (not a 6, or 6s or plus) reports they are usually around 55% by end of a work day with medium use (whereas me, nokia 1020 + medium use, 20-30% left on win10 mobile)
    Last edited by markm75; 11-03-2015 at 02:29 PM.
    11-03-2015 02:18 PM
    Maybe it's just because your phone (including its battery) is older? I'm on Lumia 920, latest build and get the same battery time as I got using WP8.

Of course I'm not sure about this, but maybe it's something to consider...
    11-03-2015 02:54 PM
    Maybe it's just because your phone (including its battery) is older? I'm on Lumia 920, latest build and get the same battery time as I got using WP8.

Of course I'm not sure about this, but maybe it's something to consider...
    This could be.. i got mine originally almost exactly 2 years ago, so i guess its possible, however.. i know that on windows 8.1 for phone.. i was getting better life.. like I said.. at least 50-60% by days end, unless i'm remembering wrong, but i kept mental notes on this sort of thing pretty regularly.

I wish there was a better app to monitor which apps are draining the most..

I know the built in battery saver area has one.. its details are limited.. sure it does say that its at 68.7% for mail and calendar, thats a large part, but you cant disable email (and i'm running defaults, so the frequency of checks is less than i normally had it on win 8.1).
    11-03-2015 03:05 PM
    17% was the end of the work day.. half with BT off and half on (bluetooth made no difference here)... one single 3 minute phone call and maybe 10 mins of generic use (no video).. comparable again was (i think) 60% maybe 50% with win 8.1 (tempted to roll back once just to verify for the fun of stats:) ) I may also try leaving it on "airplane mode" for 1.5 hours to see if that 7.33% discharge becomes less than 1%.
    11-03-2015 04:13 PM
    My 1020 is getting pretty good life. After about 9 hours today with occasional texting, facebook, and email i'm at 76%.

Though I think if your mail and calendar is at 60 some % there is a real issue there.

My battery saver for the last 24 hours is reporting messaging+skype(text) is at 33%, FB at 18% and mail and calendar is only 9.9%. I get a few email an hour, and it is set to as items arrive.

So, if your email and calendar is that high, I would imagine you are running into a some sort of bug there.
    11-03-2015 06:29 PM
    1020 with a 2mo old NOKIA battery, my life is worse than the OP. Well not my actual life, my battery. BT and WiFi off. I think the biggest issue is we hall have different apps running, so no way to tell EXACTLY what the drain is. Ideally we would run a clean phone and just test but this OS is WELL beyond needing to do that. MS needs to figure it out quick. Then again, crApple updates phones with a new OS that kills battery performance all the time. Then the lemmings line up and buy the newest phone, works for them.
    11-03-2015 07:01 PM
    so no way to tell EXACTLY what the drain is.
    How is there not? On earlier builds 'Start' and Cortana were both CRUSHING my battery. Just check battery saver and if something is actually draining your battery it should be pretty obvious. ie, 'Start' was over 70% of my battery usage.

Now i can easily go a day and a half without charging on my 1020.
    11-03-2015 08:01 PM
    I've has Cortana off and little to no change. Let alone a point I've made before, disabling a unique feature isn't acceptable. As for the phone telling me what is causing the drain, I've never trusted it.
    11-03-2015 10:09 PM
    Check which apps can run in the background and disable those not needed. I've only kept messaging on while all others are off.

Mine can last a day though I sometimes feel it last slightly less than in 8.1. I browse more these days using cellular so that is one problem. Lumia 1020 could never be battery efficient when using cellular.
    11-03-2015 10:46 PM
    omg W10M on my L1020 just craps it out.
    on wp8.1 on my usage it lasts a day in w10m half day :(
    11-03-2015 11:27 PM
    I've noticed battery life is good on standby but not so good when being used. Either cellular or start screen or both use the battery a lot. I left home with 87% and 3 hours later while updating a couple of apps and sending a few whatsapp messages, the battery is down to 50%. Not good. Same behaviour yesterday
    11-04-2015 12:34 AM
    my battery life with 10581 on the 1020 is even better than on W8.1.
    I'm very akin to save energy and use my phone in a different way than other people. Bluetooth is always disabled, location is always disabled (and I only turn it on when I need it for navigation) and mobile data is also turned off and I only switch it on when I need it
    11-04-2015 01:08 AM
    my battery life with 10581 on the 1020 is even better than on W8.1.
    I'm very akin to save energy and use my phone in a different way than other people. Bluetooth is always disabled, location is always disabled (and I only turn it on when I need it for navigation) and mobile data is also turned off and I only switch it on when I need it
    I do all that except location is on. Maybe I should switch that off and see if it helps

Did you hard reset after getting on to 10581? If you did, did you get Lumia camera back?
    jjmorgan64 likes this.
    11-04-2015 01:12 AM
    I noticed my 520 stop dropping and overheating only after updating all core apps. It passed from half a day to a whole day
    11-04-2015 02:32 AM
    no, i did not do a hard reset (I came from 10572)
    11-04-2015 03:30 AM
    Again, i see all the posts about disabling this and that.... HOW IS THIS ACCEPTABLE?! We are on the verge of 10586 being the released OS on the carriers and likely new phones as well. Does this not worry any of you or is the nonchalant "just disable everything" attitude really what you all think is the way we can grow our market share? Im just baffled at this point. I dont see this not being an epic failure, having the general public update to an OS that has garbage battery life in general, and cant even sync SMS messages. Keep in mind that is STILL an issue.
    Andrew Gordon likes this.
    11-04-2015 05:36 PM
    Again, i see all the posts about disabling this and that.... HOW IS THIS ACCEPTABLE?! We are on the verge of 10586 being the released OS on the carriers and likely new phones as well. Does this not worry any of you or is the nonchalant "just disable everything" attitude really what you all think is the way we can grow our market share? Im just baffled at this point. I dont see this not being an epic failure, having the general public update to an OS that has garbage battery life in general, and cant even sync SMS messages. Keep in mind that is STILL an issue.
    Currently I am getting better battery life than 8.1 without disabling anything, which was not the case with earlier builds(Where I did have to disable cortana). It's a fair assumption things will continue to be optimized and i'll get even better life out of my aging 1020. If you are having draining issues and are refusing to look at battery saver usage info because you 'don't trust it', that's kind of your problem.

I am by no means saying the build is perfect, there are lots of areas to improve on. It just seems odd that you have the tools to help diagnose the problem but refuse to help your situation beyond complaining about it.
    Last edited by BryceMD; 11-04-2015 at 07:56 PM.
    11-04-2015 07:42 PM
    IV been getting horrible battery life on my 1020 with the new build. And I've tried EVERYTHING!! Disabled everything possible, hard reset this updated that. I've come the conclusion that its somthing with the device... Idk though...
    11-04-2015 08:27 PM
    My Lumia 1020 is usually down to about 40-45% battery after 14 to 16 hours. I don't really use it much for calls most of the time, but am always looking at emails or news or glancing through start screen tiles. It's been pretty consistent with 10581, though it took a day or two after the initial install to get there. And it was absolutely necessary to apply the "Insider Fast Configuration Update" which comes up under Phone Update after installing 10581. I had reverted to 8.1 via the recovery tool, run through the updates from there, the installed the Insider app and upgraded to 10581 from there.

There's flakiness with email. To the point it does get somewhat aggravating, between it crashing or having to kill and restart it because it stops letting me open certain threads.
    11-04-2015 08:36 PM
    SMH... anyway 10:1 ratio of bad battery life to good. Thats the last im posting about this topic. I know what my phone is running, I know what apps are disabled, I know my battery life is garbage, I KNOW im not alone. So if a 10:1 will make windows phone succeed.... Its a phone, it shouldnt be that complicated to get decent battery life. Saying its users causing the bad battery, when its an EASY 10:1 good life to bad, thats like crApple telling people they are holding their phone wrong. Im not a doom and gloomer, i LOVE my windows phone. But, the track we are headed down isnt good at the moment. The battery life IS horrible, regardless of a few exceptions. I have EVERY SINGLE app that CAN be disabled in the background disabled... and we shouldnt have to settle for that. Someone please explain why my phone wont last an entire day? As for use, Im talking little to no use since its a secondary phone. Its ridiculous that some here are accepting of 40% battery after 14hrs of NON USE. That is insane. And AGAIN, 2 month old brand new Nokia battery that was properly conditioned. Better yet, heres an assignment: If you are running the current build on a 1020; list every app you have and its background status. Perhaps its a rogue app many of us have thats causing the issue.
    Andrew Gordon likes this.
    11-04-2015 10:29 PM
    After a few days, I have to say that battery life isn't as I expected. After 15 minutes of browsing using 2G network, battery drops 15%. I used UC browser and whatsapp and email. Only these 3 apps and battery went down 1% per minute on 2G network.

When I was 8.1 or 10512, this wouldn't happen that fast. Back then it was more like 1% every 5 minutes. I would be able to check whatsapp, use UC browser, check email, take a few photos, check instagram and by the end of the day still have 55-75%. But not now.

So I'm waiting for the next build to improve things
    11-05-2015 12:23 AM
    Better yet, heres an assignment: If you are running the current build on a 1020; list every app you have and its background status. Perhaps its a rogue app many of us have thats causing the issue.
    Better yet, you list your apps battery usage. You have the problem, tell us what app is causing it.

Does noone care enough to actually look at their app battery usage breakdown? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

With the exception of the OP who seems to have encountered a bug with outlook mail/calendar using 70% of his battery the rest is all anecdotal. Please help us help you. If people provide actionable information that an app is using excessive battery we might get actual fixes. Complaints like 'battery draining' doesn't really get us anywhere.
    Last edited by BryceMD; 11-05-2015 at 12:54 AM.
    11-05-2015 12:42 AM
50 12