W10M 10581 - Does Voice texting work for you ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I am NOT talking about replying to texts. If your on 10581, hold down the search button (or call Hey Cortana) and say "Send a text to <name>" and what happens ?

What happens on my phone is I can see the text laid out, like she's about to send it but, then she closes(crashes back to the tile page) and never sends a text...I have tried this over 10 times now even after a reboot, same result every time.

This is bothering me so much that I am about to go back to 8.1 as I use this feature a LOT, They fixed "Hey Cortana" but, if they broke voice texting, it's a BIG ONE....

Thanks !

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
It works fine for me I used it earlier on 10581, Now on 10572 after a few days it crashed. A hard reset usually fixes it when that does happen tho

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It works fine for me I used it earlier on 10581, Now on 10572 after a few days it crashed. A hard reset usually fixes it when that does happen tho

A HARD reset ? Maybe you don't mind spending hours downloading apps and setting up 4 email accounts. Does not sound like something I want to go through very often....and something I did 2 days ago...

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
A HARD reset ? Maybe you don't mind spending hours downloading apps and setting up 4 email accounts. Does not sound like something I want to go through very often....and something I did 2 days ago...

Your device back up isn't working?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Even with device backup, depending on Wi-Fi speed, you still have to download all the app updates. If you have a LOT of apps, it can take a very, very long time. It can be rather frustrating and painful experience for many who do not have Wi-Fi available at home and have to travel in order to perform the reset and get everything restored.

@DavidinCT: If you've already done the Hard Reset after installing the build you have, then doing another one isn't going to help you.

Personally, I did the Hard Reset and manually set everything up to keep any problems from cropping up from previous settings. Cortana crashes out about 2 out of 3 tries on sending texts, so I actually start a text to a person, then hit the mic button to do the dictation. I usually have several sentences to send in a text, and having to constantly "add more" through the fully-automated usually just aggravates me even further on the times it does crash. Using the mic for text input allows me to do much more dictation and allows me to do it more naturally. Not ideal for driving situations, though.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
@DavidinCT: If you've already done the Hard Reset after installing the build you have, then doing another one isn't going to help you.

Personally, I did the Hard Reset and manually set everything up to keep any problems from cropping up from previous settings. Cortana crashes out about 2 out of 3 tries on sending texts, so I actually start a text to a person, then hit the mic button to do the dictation. I usually have several sentences to send in a text, and having to constantly "add more" through the fully-automated usually just aggravates me even further on the times it does crash. Using the mic for text input allows me to do much more dictation and allows me to do it more naturally. Not ideal for driving situations, though.

It's really screwed up, I got Hey Cortana working and if I say "tell me a joke" or "sing me a song", or even " what is the weather for today" she/it replies fine with an answer (while calling "hey cortana"). So I removed "my wife" from favorates in her note book, I said "Send my wife a text", she replied "Who is your wife", I answered (she filled in the name on the screen), then she crashes right out. This is 100% of the time, I have not been able to send a text from calling "Hey Cortana", replies if someone texts, seems to work fine.

I use "Hey Cortana" more when I am driving, as my wife has a hard time hearing on her crappy iPhone, so when we are away, we talk via text 95% of the time. Also, I will NEVER pick up my phone to text while driving, it's about the dumbest thing ANYONE can do. If I can text with out pulling my eyes off the road and NOT touching my phone, then it's ok in my book.

I know on 104XX (pre 72), Hey Cortana didn't work but, voice texting did.

Is there a way to reset Cortana completely with out hard reseting, maybe a reset of her notebook might help, it takes like 5 min to set everything up???

Device backup is a POS, It contains account info, your ring tone (just your MAIN tone, not any custom), app list, and supported application backup.

More than 9/10 apps on my phone DO NOT support application backup, so after setting it all up, I lose all data. This even includes the offical facebook app made by Microsoft (really ???). Many times I have lost all my save game data from TONS of games

As this only takes a LIST of apps, after hard reset, I need to keep my phone on wi-fi for about 3 hours to download all my apps again....

DID you know if you back up your iPhone, it takes a complete image of your phone, all apps, all settings, so if you restore, it's exact, Windows Phone 7 used to be like that.... Full backup and restore... the good old days...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon