10581 System data usage

danimal538

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I have an HTC one m8 running preview build 10581 and overall this build seems better than previous builds. My one comment/ concern is that my data usage has increased considerably. When looking at the data usage in settings, most data amounts seem normal for my typical browsing, emails, and games. However there is one "system" usage that is about 200+ mb per day just on cellular (I am at 380 mb for syatem and this is my second day of this billing cycle). I am on wi-fi about 14 hours per day and on AT&T LTE the remaining 10 hours. And I only download updates when on wi-fi.
Has anyone else noticed this on the preview builds? And does anyone know what this "system" entails (feedback? updates?) it seems to be separate from most services like cortana, store, and other services I know of since they have their own call outs in data usage. I inserted a screenshot from earlier today as reference.

wp_ss_20151106_0001.jpg

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Never experienced that, but I think we need something iOS had for a long time, and that is allowing data usage (maybe even WiFi) only for selected apps. On iOS, you get a list of all apps, and you can just select whether they can use your data when you turn it on, which is great if you trully want to control it. It would prevent cases like this.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I have this same problem on my Lumia 1020. It's just burning through data under the System category. Have no idea what it's doing. When I first do a hard reset it doesn't do this for about a week and then randomly just starts drinking the data like there's no tomorrow.

I've desperately tried to figure out what is causing it but can't seem to find what is going on. I don't think it's updating core apps because those come through the store and I have mine set to manually update only. If anybody knows what is going on or what might be the culprit it would be greatly appreciated!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have this same problem on my Lumia 1020. It's just burning through data under the System category. Have no idea what it's doing. When I first do a hard reset it doesn't do this for about a week and then randomly just starts drinking the data like there's no tomorrow.

I've desperately tried to figure out what is causing it but can't seem to find what is going on. I don't think it's updating core apps because those come through the store and I have mine set to manually update only. If anybody knows what is going on or what might be the culprit it would be greatly appreciated!

All core apps update but the data used to update is recorded in "system". If you don't update any core apps for a few days, you'll notice that system data usage won't have moved much

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes