Interesting update experience: Blue Screen and unhappy face on 10586.29 Lumia 635

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Something interesting to report. I updated my Lumia 635 from 10586.11 to 10586.29. The update started downloading then after checking the update progress after a while I found that "Phone Update" wouldn't actually open anymore, I left it sit for a while but the menu seemed inaccessible. It would register that I'd tapped the menu option but didn't actually open anything so I couldn't check on progress of the update. The phone itself was fine otherwise so it wasn't locking up or anything like that. Luckily I'm using a proxy server so I could see when requests were being made to windowsupdate.com and then let it sit for a while as I figured it was still preparing the update in the background.

Eventually I rebooted (normal restart) because it didn't look like I was getting into Phone Update without doing something. Rebooted OK and then I was able to access the "Phone Update" menu again and it seemed to have downloaded and prepared the update as it was prompting for a restart to actually install.

Upon rebooting however, I ended up with this:

WP_20151205_11_19_05_Pro2.jpg

Which was then stuck in a reboot loop with NOKIA splash screen followed by this unhappy face each time!

Luckily a soft reset seems to have cleared it and I'm now on spinning gears and it seems to be progressing normally.

Thought I'd post this in case someone else experiences this weirdness! I also have Lumia 925 and performed the 10586.29 update, but didn't experience the same behaviour!

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Gone is the blue screen of death.

We bring you the blue screen of sadness.

Soft reset FTW. Glad to hear you didn't have to start from scratch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes